Sangean DT-400W AM/FM/Weather Radio Reviews

Sangean DT-400W AM/FM/Weather Radio

Great radio for the money

Jul 26, 2011

Pros:Many Many features.  Well designed and packaged.

Cons:None

The Bottom Line: If you need a pocket radio, this is one to give careful consideration.  May be a bit pricey, but well worth the money.

Background

You may have recalled my review on the Peltor 2600 AM/FM Radio head phones.  I use these a lot while mowing, weed whacking, and snow blowing.  But in the summer, I really would like to be able to listen to the radio without heavy and often hot headphones on.  So I have been looking for a suitable radio that won't break the bank.

I happend upon the Sangean DT-400.  This model had pretty good reviews, so I purchased it from Amazon for about $45 with free shipping.

About the Product

First, about the packaging.  It arrived in the typical blister pack.  I immediately went for the heavy duty scissors to open in.  Turns out that the packaging was "spot welded"  or held together with little heat deformed features around the perimeter.  I didn't require the scissors at all.  Hats off to you Sangean for trusting/knowing that your product is good enough that I won't be debating if I should return it, and guilty feelings that go with it for destroying the packaing to get it open.  In fact, I will probably keep the packaging in case I ever want to store of ship it.

This is a sturdy radio that's a little bigger than a pack of cards.  The battery compartment door opens and stays with the unit, and holds (2) AA batteries.  A belt clip is included that you must attach yourself, but it was pretty easy.  There are a lot of controls on this radio.  On top is a power button - push it on push it off.  There is also a slide switch on the top for Deep Base Boost, and a volume control. And rounding out the top surface is the jack for the headphones/antenna (more on that later).  On the right side is a WX button for weather, and another slide switch for a key lock to keep you from changing the settings.  On the left side is a three position slide switch for speaker/mono/stereo.  This is fantastic, because sometimes you'd like to share your music or talk radio with a friend with the speaker, or listen with headphones.  But the thing that always bothered me is both my wife and my mother are deaf in one ear, and when they listen to earphones, they only get one stereo channel.  I can think of some songs that are poorly mixed from the 60's or 70's where the voice is on one channel and majority of instruments on the other.  Mono has gone by the wayside.  But it's alive and well with this pocket radio.

Oh, the front of the radio contains a digital display that is back lit with up down tuning buttons to the right of the display.  There is a band button that steps through AM, FM, and preset - once in preset, the tuning buttons advance or decrement the programmed memory.  Finally, there is a memo button for setting the memories.  This memo button is also used to set the clock (did I mention this had a clock).

The radio has 19 memory slots that can be programmed with either AM or FM stations.  I love the digital tuning.  I like flipping around between stations.  With the old fashioned thumb-wheel tuning, it's just too excruciation to dial between stations.  So these memory slots are perfect.  The WX band radio has 7 channels that can also be stepped through using the tuning buttons.

Also included with the radio is a set of earphone/earbuds, and foam covers if you so desire.  Now, I mentioned that the earphone jack also made the antenna connection.  For good FM reception, you need to have the earphones plugged in, or the included antenna, whcih is just a plug and a wire about 2 feet long.

How Well Does It Work?

I installed the batteries and immediately tuned and programmed several of my favorite stations.  The speaker works pretty well in an home environment, and especially for talk radio, where stereo and hi-fidelity is not required.  But the headphones are pretty clear.  I tried the Deep Base Boost, but find that it muddies the sound, and prefer not to use it.

With either the earphones or antenna plugged in, the FM reception is better than most table top radios I have tried.  And I'm able to receive AM stations that I can't hear with table top radio or car radios at all.

The Weather Band is interesting.  But, my reception isn't so good here.  There is a weather alert function, but I have not had the misfortune to have it go off yet.

My Recommendation

I think I've finally found a radio that will suit my discriminating tastes.  It has many useful features, and seems to be pretty high quality.  I am very happy with this purchase.  I am more than happy to recommend this to my friends and Epinion readers.

Sangean DT-400W AM/FM Weather & Alert Radio

Sangean DT-400W AM/FM Weather & Alert Radio

The Sangean DT-400W AM/FM Pocket Radio is the only pocket radio you will ever need to buy. It has about everything you could want, and then some, in a...
Sangean DT-400W AM FM Weather Alert Radio

Sangean DT-400W AM FM Weather Alert Radio

The Sangean DT-400W AM FM Pocket Radio is the only pocket radio you will ever need to buy. It has about everything you could want, and then some, in a...

Sangean DT-400W AM/FM Digital Weather Alert Pocket Radio

Color: Yellow Features: Digital AM/FM tuner 19 Random presets My Favorite Station select button Optional 90-minute auto shutoff Built-in speaker/clock...

Sangean DT-400W AM/FM Digital Weather Alert Pocket Radio

Product Features Digital AM/FM tuner 19 random presets My Favorite Station select button Optional 90-minute auto shutoff Built-in speaker/clock Produc...
Sangean San-dt400w Am/fm Digital Weather Alert Pocket Radio

Sangean San-dt400w Am/fm Digital Weather Alert Pocket Radio

Sangean San-dt400w Am/fm Digital Weather Alert Pocket Radio UPC: 729288040347 Mfg Part#: SAN-DT400W Vendor: Sangean
Sangean - AM/FM Digital Weather Alert Pocket Radio, NOAA Weather/Emergency Alert, Portable

Sangean AM/FM Digital Weather Alert Pocket Radio, NOAA Weather/Emergency Alert The Sangean AM/FM Digital Pocket Radio/Tuner with NOAA Weather/Emergenc...
Adorama

Sangean America Dt-400w Digital Am/fm/weather Alert Pocket Radio

Sangean America Dt-400w Digital Am/fm/weather Alert Pocket Radio

Sangean America Dt-400w, Dt-400w Digital Am/fm/weather Alert Pocket Radio, Upc: 0729288040347
Sangean DT-400W Weather & Alert Radio - with Child Abduction Emergency (Amber Alert), Weather Disaster - FM, AM - 7 Weather - H