The Scotts Company Scotts Co - Ortho Bus Group No. 0397510 24oz. Rtu Weed B Gonmax Reviews

Ortho Weed B Gon Max is effective in killing weeds without harming grass

Apr 21, 2008

Pros:Kill's weeds without harming the lawn. Is easy to use and inexpensive

Cons:It is a chemical and should be used sparingly

The Bottom Line: If you want to kill weeds without killing your lawn and do not want to put something on your entire lawn this will work well without harming your grass

For the past few years I have been doing organic lawn care which is great except for the massive dandelion population I was propogating. We want to put our house on the market so instead of going to traditional lawncare, I decided to stick with the organic and just spot kill the dandelions.

Overview of information on the bottle
*Kill over 200 weeds without harming your lawn - guaranteed!
*Foaming action let's you easily see exactly where you've sprayed.
*Rain-proof in 1 hour!
*Results in 24 hours
*100% root kill
*Ready-to-use - no mixing or measuring
*Pull 'N Spray easy application reduces hand fatigue - one pull gives a continuous display equal to 31 trigger sprays

The dispenser
Weed B gon Max comes in a
24oz spray bottle,
0.5 gallon bottle with sprayer
1.33 gallon Pull 'n spray applicator(for large areas)

I looked at all the products and decided that the 24oz bottles were best for me. Since I wanted to spot kill the dandelions and weeds, I figured the pump spray would give me the most control and the smaller bottle would be easier to handle. I purchased it at walmart for $4.97 but have seen it anywhere from $3.50 - $6.00

How to use
The instructions advice using this when weeds are actively growing. They suggest spraying toward the center of the weed until the weed is thoroughly coated but not dripping. The foaming action makes it easy to see where you have already sprayed and keeps the product on the weeds rather than dripping off.

Obviously you would want to use this when it is not raining. The bottle states that if one hour has passed before it rains or you water the grass that it will still kill the weeds. Also make sure to use when temps are between 45 and 90 degrees F. I try to use it on a nice sunny day when there is no threat of rain.

Usually one application is sufficient but you might need a second application for hard to kill weeds. Wait a couple weeks before retreating because although you will see some wilting within 24 hrs it takes awhile for the weed to fully die.

Where to Use / Where not to use
For USE on Bahiagrass, bentgrass, bermudagrass, buffalograss, centipedegrass, fescue, Kentucky bluegrass, perennial ryegrass, St. Augustine, and zoysiagrass.
Do NOT use Floratam, a type of St. Augustinegrass common to Florida

How much to spray
I use about 5 sprays on a good sized weed maybe only 1 or 2 on small weeds. With experience you will figure out how much each type of weed will need to get rid of it. The directions state that 1/2 gallon of liquid will treat about 500 weeds.

How well it works
Ortho Weed b gon max works very well. One thing I am not sure I agree with is the "results in 24hrs" Generally you will see some wilting within 24hrs but it is not like the weed is completely dead in that time. I would say it takes 2 to 3 weeks for the weed to die, dry up and "be gone" Some weeds will need another spray. I would go out once a week and spray until all weeds are gone. If you get the dandelions before they go to seed you won't have more the following year unless you have neighbors who have a lot of them, and in that case you will be in the same position next year unless you use something to prevent them from sprouting. We use a corn based fertilizer in spring and fall which cuts down on weeds germinating but it does not prevent it altogether like chemical weed and seed preparations. I feel better taking a minimal approach when putting chemicals on my lawn.

As far as the claim that it does not harm the grass....it absolutely does not harm the grass in any way. Usually after a couple mowings the weed will just dry up and disappear and the grass will fill in where the weed had been.

What it Controls
Weeds: Kills over 200 weeds, including black medic, chickweeds, clovers, creeping charlie, cudweed, curly dock, dandelion, English daisy, false dandelion, filaree, Florida pusley, ground ivy, heartleaf drymary, henbit, oxalis, pennywort, plantains, purslane, red sorrel, sheep sorrel, spurges, spurweed, thistles, toadflax, wild carrot,wild garlic, wild geranium, wild onion and many other broadleaf weeds.

Special Instructions
If a fertilizer, insecticide or fungicide has been used, wait 24 hours before using this product. If this product has been used, wait 24 hours before applying a fertilizer insecticide or fungicide to avoid washing off the weed killer

Active Ingredients / Shelf Life
.05% Dicamba .12% 2,4-D .22% MCPP
Ortho Weed b gon max should have a minimum shelf life of 3 yrs.

smells or other negatives
I do not notice any smell from this but I am very sensitive to chemicals. I can sort of smell/taste it from using it for about a day. Most people would not notice this but because I do I am very careful to keep off the lawn and keep my dog off for 24hrs. The bottle says it is safe after an hour but I figure if it can kill a weed it is probably not something that is good for us. Again use minimally only as needed.

The Scotts Co. : Mini Lawn Spreader

The Scotts Co. : Mini Lawn Spreader

Small scale spreader holds up to 5000 sq. ft. of Scotts lawn products. EdgeGuard blocks off the right side of the spreader pattern to prevent product ...
Scotts 76121 Turf Builder Edgeguard Mini Broadcast Spreader, 5000-square-foot Co

Scotts 76121 Turf Builder EdgeGuard Mini Broadcast Spreader, 5000-Square-Foot Coverage Features:Includes Scotts exclusive EdgeGuard Technology.Designe...

(6) Scotts 5620160 32oz Liquid Turf Builder Plus 2 Weed N Feed Lawn Fertilizer

(6) Scotts 5620160 32oz Liquid Turf Builder Plus 2 Weed N Feed Lawn Fertilizer

Lot sale of (6) new 32 ounce hose end ready to spray bottles of Scotts Liquid Turf Builder Plus 2 Lawn Fertilizer Plus Weed Killer # 5620160 item 5326...

The Scotts Co. : Rts Wbg Crabgrass Killer

The Scotts Co. : Rts Wbg Crabgrass Killer

Kills Weeds, Not Lawns. Kills over 200 types of weeds, including crabgrass. Kills the root. Rain-Proof in 1 hour. No. 9994110: Size: 32 oz, Type: Read...
Scotts 5620160 32oz Liquid Turf Builder Plus 2 Weed N Feed Lawn Fertilizer

Scotts 5620160 32oz Liquid Turf Builder Plus 2 Weed N Feed Lawn Fertilizer

New 32 ounce hose end ready to spray bottle of Scotts Liquid Turf Builder Plus 2 Lawn Fertilizer Plus Weed Killer # 5620160 item 532653 Scotts, 32 oun...

Scotts Lawns 5620160 Scotts Liquid Turf Builder Plus 2 Weed Control, 1-Qt.

Scotts Lawns 5620160 Scotts Liquid Turf Builder Plus 2 Weed Control, 1-Qt.

Scotts, QT, Ready To Spray, 25-1-2, Liquid Turf Builder + 2, Weed & Feed, Fast Acting Fertilizer With Weed Control, Greens Up Lawns In 24 Hours, Easy ...
Scotts 43.75 in. H Snap Spreader

Scotts 43.75 in. H Snap Spreader

Shop for Garden Center at The Home Depot. Scotts Snap spreader is made exclusively to be used with the Scotts Snap Pac product family. The spreader ha...
Home Depot