SDI iHome Battery Charger, Docking Station, Speaker System, Clock Radio (IH5B) for iPod

Great Sound Quality and Cool Features

Dec 6, 2009 (Updated Dec 6, 2009)

Pros:Great sound, unique alarm settings and charges your iPod.

Cons:Although the iHome has a modern look, the antenna is looks ugly and outdated.

The Bottom Line: The iHome is a great product!  The product has great sound quality, excellent alarm settings and it charges your iPod!

I received the iHome iH5BR Clock Radio for iPod in black last year as a present for Christmas.  I wanted something like this mainly because I wanted to listen to my iPod while in my office at work. I was unable to use my headphones to listen to my iPod, so I needed something that had speakers.  The iHome was a great solution to my problem and has made my workplace much more enjoyable since.

The iHome looks just like your regular alarm clock, but has an iPod connector on the top of the product.  My iHome is black, but the product also comes in white.  The front of the product is black with silver speakers and has a LCD screen that shows the time, date and the radio channel it is on when the radio is in use.  The LCD screen has a backlight that has three degrees of brightness depending on your need or preference.  The top of the iHome has the iPod connection that is compatible with the iPod nano, iPon mini, iPod 3G, iPod 4G, iPod Color, and the iPod Video.  The iHome also comes with a connector that makes the iHome compatible with the second generation iPod nano, as well as a patch cord that will connect other mp3 players.  In addition to the iPod connector on the top, the control buttons are on top in gray with an amber backlight.  The volume and adjustment controls are similar to what you find on an actual iPod: circular knobs that you touch and move left or right until you find what you are looking for.  The circular knobs are flush with the top of the iHome and are black.  The look of the iHome is actually nice looking and fit in perfectly on my professional work desk at my university.  I actually got "cool" points from the high school students I would meet with in my office on a regular basis because of my iHome.

The sound of the iHome is incredible, especially considering the size of the speakers.  The sound is great at all times. I've listened to the iHome at it's quietest setting to the loudest setting.  The sound is very clear and sounds better than any other radio/speaker I've used.  The sound is so good that we've actually connected it to our television at home so that movies will have a better sound quality.

The iHome is not just speakers for your iPod.  The iHome has a great alarm that has never failed me.  The alarm can be set to wake up to the sound of music playing from your iPod, radio or a buzzer.  The user can even set the alarm for gentle wake.  Gentle wake will start the sound of the iHome quiet and will gradually increase with time. This is wonderful because most alarms have scared me awake, and I truly believe that is not a healthy way to wake up.  The iHome alarm starts quietly and gently gets louder and louder.  As I said before, the alarm has never failed me.  That is because the iHome comes with a "Sure Alarm" battery backup.  As long as you install 2 AA batteries, the alarm and clock will maintain your settings if there is a power outage or the AC power cord is disconnected.

The iHome also has a wonderful sleep feature.  Just like most televisions, the iHome has a programmable sleep shutdown.  The iHome will shut off after 15, 30, 60, 90 or 120 minutes, depending on how you program it before you go to sleep.  Just like the gentle wake, the iHome also has a gentle sleep.  This just means that slowly the volume of the product will go down as you get closer to the shutoff time.

The iHome also has a built in radio.  With all radios, it depends on where you are to determine the quality and clarity of radio stations.  Most radio stations that I receive in my car clearly also come in clearly on the iHome.  The product comes with a built-in FM antenna.  As you've probably assumed by reading this review, I really like the iHome.  However, the one thing that I dislike about the product is the FM antenna.  The FM antenna is a long wire that dangles from the of the product.  It gets in the way and is hard to control when trying to find the perfect location to get the perfect signal for radio stations.

Using the iHome is very easy.  I have to admit that when I get new electronic products, I usually do not read the manual.  I usually just start using the products right away if I can figure it out easily.  The iHome was definitely easy to figure out right away.  The product actually already comes with the two AA batteries and the time is set.  All you have to do to make sure it is the correct time is to find your timezone by using the switch on the back of the product.  The product also has a Daylight Savings Time switch on the back and all you have to do is move the switch when it's time to change your clocks.The iHome also comes with a remote, which is not like any alarm clock I have ever had.  It's great because you can use it to turn the radio/iPod on or off, adjust the volume, change the song/radio, etc. And, the best thing about the iHome is that whenever your iPod is plugged into the product, it will also charge it!  This is great because I could never find my cord that you use to plug your iPod into the computer when I needed to charge it!

Overall, the iHome is a great product!  The product has great sound quality, excellent alarm settings and it charges your iPod!  The product cost around $100 back when I received it last year, but with all electronics, the price continues to come down.  I've seen the iHome being sold now for $80 and can be found at so many stores.

Sdi Technologies Ihome Portable Speakers For Kindle Fire - Black (ik8)

Sdi Technologies Ihome Portable Speakers For Kindle Fire - Black (ik8)

Ebay Template Search Click to Enlarge Sdi Technologies iHome Portable Speakers for Kindle Fire - Black (IK8)Make:Sound Design, Inc.Model:IK8 UPC:04753...

Sdi Technologies iHome Portable Speakers for Kindle Fire - Black (IK8)

Sdi Technologies iHome Portable Speakers for Kindle Fire - Black (IK8)

Easily listen to your Kindle Fire while you're on the go with this SDI Technologies IK8 portable speaker that features a built-in rechargeable lithium...
BLINQ

Ihome Kindle Fire Smart Design Docking Station - In Box- Ik50b

Ihome Kindle Fire Smart Design Docking Station - In Box- Ik50b

iHome iK50B SMARTDESIGN Space Saver FM Stereo Alarm Clock/Charger for Kindle Fire, Black iHome Smart Design Clock, Radio And Charger For Kindle And Ki...

iHome Bluetooth Speaker System with Rechargeable Battery and USB Charging

iHome Bluetooth Speaker System with Rechargeable Battery and USB Charging

iHome Bluetooth Speaker System with Rechargeable Battery and USB Charging Stream music from iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, Android, Blackberry and other...

iHOME iPad Swivel Folio Black Case

iHOME iPad Swivel Folio Black Case

iHome Swivel Folio Case - Protective cover for tablet - soft leather - black - for Apple iPad 2

AC Adapter for iHome IP56 Speaker Dock Charger Switching Power Supply Cord Mains

iHome - Smart Sleeve Case for 13 Apple MacBook - Gray

iHome - Smart Sleeve Case for 13 Apple MacBook - Gray

This iHome Smart Sleeve IH-C2013C case is designed to fit your 13 Apple MacBook and features a shock-absorbing fur lining to protect your device while...
Best Buy

1a Ac Home Wall Power Charger/adapter Cord For Ihome Jambox Media Speaker Idm11

1a Ac Home Wall Power Charger/adapter Cord For Ihome Jambox Media Speaker Idm11

For USA customers, we ship via USPS 1st class mail with Tracking Number . Brand New AC Wall Power Charger/Adapter For iHome Portable Speakers (#1004JS...

Global AC Adapter for for iHome 2GO iPod Station Charger Power Supply Cord Mains