Stihl Hs 85 Hedge Trimmer

Its a STIHL

Jun 3, 2005 (Updated May 30, 2006)

Pros:Commercial grade hedge trimmer. Its a STIHL, they don't make cheap crap. Swivel handle.

Cons:A little on the heavy side. Price, but you get what you pay for.

The Bottom Line: I have only used it once, but have heard good things about STIHL. Comes with a good warranty. The other reviewer has had his since 1995.

I just picked up the STIHL HS 85 at a local store that sells only the best. I had a piece of crap Excaliber made by Weedeater. The recoil spring for the pull string broke after about 40 hours of use. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON CHEAP JUNK.

I used the STIHL HS80 today and it performed well. I haven't had much experience with STIHL, (I normally get the Husqvarna stuff) but most guys think that it is quality equipment. The salesman at the store said that it would last 6 to 7 years if you used it every week, like a contractor. I might use mine about 1 to 2 times a month, so I think that my HS80 will last 10-15 years.

The HS80 seems like it is well made. The blade is very firm (compared to the blade on my excaliber, it was very flimsy). The HS80 had decent amount of power. Its a little tricky to start, but once you get it warm, it starts right up. The engine is 25 cc and is commercial grade (the salesman said that the engine was made in Japan). It has a brake clutch (when you engage it, it keeps the blade from going back and forth, for added safety, like the brake on a chain saw).

The trimmer is a little on the heavy side, but hey, its a commercial grade trimmer that is design to run and run. Other than that, I like it so far. It came with one year commercial use warranty and a two year homeowner warranty (parts and labor for the entire time).

Compared to my Excaliber, the HS80 is a good trimmer. Stay away form the Weedeater brand of power equipment, they are junk. Spend the extra money and get something that will last. I've gotten to the point, that I will not buy power equipment unless it is commercial grade equipment!!! You will save money in the long run.

Update 06/20/05
Have used the HS85 a bit more. Once you get the steps down to start this thing it starts right up. The swivel handle is great. It makes it alot easier to do the sides of bushes because you can twist the handle and lock it into place. Very happy with this trimmer so far.

Update 06/29/06
Have used this trimmer a bit more. I would say that it can get a little bit heavy, however it will cut larger size branches on bushes. So if you are concered with it being to heavy, I would get a lighter model. I will keep mine because it is very powerful and will cut threw largers bush branches, but it does get heavy after using it for a while.

Stihl Hs 45 Hedge Trimmer Carburetor (oem) In Box Fits18in Or 24in

Stihl Hs 45 Hedge Trimmer Carburetor (oem) In Box Fits18in Or 24in

NEW HEDGE TRIMMER CARBURETOR FITS MODELS HS45 18IN OR 24IN PART#4220 120 0608 OEM NEW PLEASE VISIT MY EBAY STORE (HOG WILD POWER PRODUCTS) FOR MORE OU...

Stihl Primer Bulb For Hs45 Gas Hedge Trimmer

Stihl Primer Bulb For Hs45 Gas Hedge Trimmer

oneals-deals store BRAND NEW Stihl PRIMER BULB Fits HS series (HS45 +) Gas Powered Hedge Trimmers. I accept paypal . Email if you have any questions o...

Hedge Trimmer Blade Set For Stihl Hs45 18 Replaces 4228-710-6050a 59-200

Hedge Trimmer Blade Set For Stihl Hs45 18 Replaces 4228-710-6050a 59-200

OREGON Hedge Trimmer Blade Set 59-200 Fits Stihl HS45 18 hedge trimmers replaces Stihl OEM# 4228-710-6050A

Stihl Hedge Trimmer Friction Blade Plate Hs81t Hs 81 T

Stihl Hedge Trimmer Friction Blade Plate Hs81t Hs 81 T

Thanks for viewing my listing. Up for sale is the following BRAND NEW GENUINE Stihl part. Please see below for all item details and specifics. I make ...

Stihl Hedge Trimmer Hs 60 Gear Box Lever 4211 160 5000 -

Stihl Hedge Trimmer Hs 60 Gear Box Lever 4211 160 5000 -

For Sale - A new original STIHL gear box lever for the STIHL Hedge Trimmer Model HS 60. This is part number 4211 160 5000.

Stihl Hedge Trimmer Choke Lever Hs60 Hs61 Hs 60 61

Stihl Hedge Trimmer Choke Lever Hs60 Hs61 Hs 60 61

Get a great deal on a brand new Stihl part! Stihl part number for item: 4211 121 6600, 42111216600 Molded/cast-in p/n if available: 4211 Quantity incl...

Nikasil 51mm Cylinder Piston Set For Stihl Hs575 Hedge Trimmer

Nikasil 51mm Cylinder Piston Set For Stihl Hs575 Hedge Trimmer

Nikasil 51mm Cylinder Piston set for STIHL HS575 Hedge Trimmer Size:51 mm Bore Material: Nikasil Coated Application: STIHL HS575 hedge trimmer Comes i...
Hedge Trimmer Blade Set For Stihl Hs81t 24 Replaces 4237-710-6051 59-202

Hedge Trimmer Blade Set For Stihl Hs81t 24 Replaces 4237-710-6051 59-202

OREGON Hedge Trimmer Blade Set 59-202 Fits Stihl HS81T 24 hedge trimmers replaces Stihl OEM# 4237-710-6051

Hedge Trimmer Blade Set For Stihl Hs45 24 Replaces 4228-710-6051a 59-201

Hedge Trimmer Blade Set For Stihl Hs45 24 Replaces 4228-710-6051a 59-201

OREGON Hedge Trimmer Blade Set 59-201 Fits Stihl HS45 24 hedge trimmers replaces Stihl OEM# 4228-710-6051A