Safer Disposable Wasp & Yellowjacket Trap

Safer Disposable Yellowjacket and Wasp Trap - Saved Our Summer

Aug 19, 2002

Pros:Easy to use, effective, disposable

Cons:Can't re-use

The Bottom Line: A simple to use trap that is very effective. Gets used up quickly, though, if you have lots of yellowjackets and wasps.

The yellowjackets and wasps this summer have been unbelievable! They've been swarming all over our yard, so bad that we can hardly go outside in mid day. My husband was painfully stung twice. We could even hear them bumping into the windows! Yuck! Forget about going out onto the deck unless it's dark or cold outside. We've been checking local stores for yellowjacket traps for weeks and they've been sold out everywhere around here, so apparently we're not the only ones battling these annoying pests.

Aha! Finally happened into the store right after they received a shipment, and we were able to pick up a couple of the Safer Disposable Yellowjacket Traps.

~ How does it work?

The Safer Yellowjacket and Wasp Traps are really quite ingenious. It is all made out of paper/cardboard. The box is actually the trap itself. All you need to do is assemble it, which is easy. Just remove the plastic wrapping, fold some tabs on the sticky board included, pull off the liner that protects the sticky surface. Then put the absorbant attractant pad where indicated on the sticky board (it also simply sticks on), then put the yellowjacket attractant, which is included, on the absorbant pad. Replace the sticky board into the trap/box, and you're done. There are holes in the cardboard of the box where the yellowjackets can enter as they are attracted to the pad inside saturated with the yellowjacket attractant.

There are holes where you thread through a twist-tie, which is also included, so you can hang the trap. You can't just sit it, or stand it up, because it is too light - it must be hung.

~ Placing the trap

Safer suggests you place the trap away from human activity. Obviously, this is because it will soon be swarming with yellowjackets and wasps. Safer also suggests that if the trap is going to be used during a BBQ or other activity where food is present, that you place the traps out at least an hour before food is brought outside.

In the spring, the traps should be hung where they can get late morning and early afternoon sun or evening sun. In the middle of summer, place traps where they will get mid-morning or evening sun.

~ Our experience using the Safer Disposable Yellowjacket Trap

Remember, our yellowjacket situation was INTENSE! These suckers were everywhere! After assembling our traps (we purchased two), my husband, brave soul that he is, volunteered to go out and place them,

The yellowjacket attractant that you put on the absorbant pad as bait, is VERY potent! The yellowjackets can smell/sense that stuff right off the bat, so be prepared and know where you want to put the trap in advance, because they will be swarming around the trap almost as soon as you get out the door. That's what happened in our situation, anyway. My poor hubby barely made it to the tree limb in time! Of course, the smart thing to do would be to put out the traps very early or at night, when the little pests aren't so active. But we couldn't wait to begin waging war on the yellowjackets, so we/he put out the traps in the middle of the day.

We watched from the safety of our house as the yellowjackets swarmed all over the trap. I could see them going into the holes, but not coming out! Hehehe.... Yep, it was working great. They'd go in to get the bait, and then get stuck on the sticky surface. (Kind of like those glue traps for mice.)

I'd look at the traps every now and then, and it was always enveloped in a swarm of yellowjackets. I could see it turning black inside from all the stuck-on bug bodies. And at least the darn things were mostly all over there by the traps and not around our deck. Even if they weren't all dead, at least they were out of our main outside living areas. We had placed the traps about 25 to 40 feet away from our deck, and that seemed to be about the right distance.

I must say, I was very pleased with the results using the Safer Yellowjacket Traps. We were desperate to get some relief from the yellowjackets, and these traps worked great! They have been holding down the bug population, while attracting them away from our outside living areas.

I guess the only problem is that we had so many yellowjackets that the traps got filled up with bug bodies quickly and had to be discarded. When the sticky surface is all filled with bug bodies, it can't trap any more. You can tell if this is happening because yellowjackets will go in the holes and leave again. In our case, with such a huge yellowjacket infestation, the traps were all filled within about a day and a half. And now, even though the traps aren't actually trapping and killing because they're full, we've been leaving them up anyway because the yellowjackets are still attracted to them and stay by the traps instead of hanging around the deck. We will be getting some more traps as soon as we can find them in the store again.

~ Other things to note

The attractant that is included is supposed to last about a week during normal temperatures. Extremely hot weather will cause the attractant to evaporate faster. You can purchase the yellowjacket attractant separately as well.

It seemed to me that the traps we placed in direct sun did better than ones placed in a very shady spot. The attractant in our case has lasted several days so far.

Note also that when you need to check the traps, take them down to discard them, or when you are placing the traps, do it during the very early or evening hours when yellowjackets are less active.

There is a caution to keep the traps away from children and pets.

~Fun with yellowjacket traps

Okay, maybe I'm just a bit sadistic, but I found it devilishly fun to sit safely inside my house with a pair of binoculars and watch the yellowjackets as they swarmed about the trap, crawling into the holes expecting a bounty of goodies, and then getting stuck. Har-har matey - take that you insufferable summer-spoilers!

Lot Sale 3 Safer Disposable Yellowjacket Wasp Trap 348

Lot Sale 3 Safer Disposable Yellowjacket Wasp Trap 348

Lot sale of 3 , new in package, Safer Disposable Yellowjacket Traps. Safer, Disposable Yellow Jacket Trap, Made Completely Of Cardboard, For Camping, ...

Hanging Wasp Yellowjacket Trap No Poison Chemicals Free Bee Bug Catcher Insects

Hanging Wasp Yellowjacket Trap No Poison Chemicals Free Bee Bug Catcher Insects

AllTopBargains Hanging Wasp Yellowjacket Trap No Poison Chemicals Free Bee Bug Catcher Insects Supersized pictures - Click an Image to Zoom! Interna...

Safer Deluxe Yellowjacket Wasp Trap With Bait

Safer Deluxe Yellowjacket Wasp Trap With Bait

Dual bait trays hold yellow jacket bait. Bottom reservoir holds sweet liquid which attracts and drowns these annoying pests. Can hang or sit on any fl...
Safer Deluxe Yellowjacket And Wasp Trap

Safer Deluxe Yellowjacket And Wasp Trap

SAFER DELUXE YELLOWJACKET AND WASP TRAP Hang outside or place on table or deck Bait attracts pests Reusable NEW Check out our Store for more Great Dea...

Safer 00280 Deluxe Yellowjacket & Wasp Trap

Safer 00280 Deluxe Yellowjacket & Wasp Trap

Lot Sale of 2 Brand New Safer Co. Deluxe Yellowjacket 7 Wasp Traps.

(4) Safer 00280 Deluxe Yellowjacket & Wasp Traps

(4) Safer 00280 Deluxe Yellowjacket & Wasp Traps

Lot Sale of (4), new Safer Co. Deluxe Yellowjacket and Wasp Traps. Pesticide Free! #00280 item 113123 Quantity of (4): Safer, Deluxe Yellow Jacket/Was...

Sterling Rescue Intl Whytr-bb8 Why Wasp Hornet & Yellowjacket Trap

Sterling Rescue Intl Whytr-bb8 Why Wasp Hornet & Yellowjacket Trap

New Wasp, Hornet and Yellowjacket Trap by Sterling Rescue Intl.#WHYTR-BB8 item 107512 W.H.Y Wasp Hornet Yellow Jacket Trap Catches 18 Species Of Sting...

Rescue Disposable Yellowjacket Trap With Attractant Free Shipping

Rescue Disposable Yellowjacket Trap With Attractant Free Shipping

This auction listing is for a Rescue Disposable Yellowjacket Trap with attractant .Additional pics or more information upon request. NOTE:FREE shippin...