Safety 1st Alpha Omega Elite - Bridgebeam Convertible/Booster Car Seat Reviews

Safety 1st Alpha Omega Elite - Bridgebeam Convertible/Booster Car Seat

Do not buy this car seat

Sep 28, 2010 (Updated Sep 28, 2010)
  • User Rating: Disappointing

Pros:Looks nice. Price was reasonable.

Cons:We don't think it is safe.

The Bottom Line: Avoid this product.  I believe it to be a flawed and UNSAFE design because plastic clip holding the harness straps together becomes useless in a matter of months.

I bought this car seat about 6 months ago.  After less than daily use, the plastic clip that holds the harness straps together (at the baby's chest) became useless.  The company acknowledges the piece is "plastic and apt to become ineffective with use" and is good about replacing the plastic clip at no charge but the safety risk is too great, in my opinion.  My son was able to pull the clip apart and wiggle out of the straps.  The company's response to the issue is to encourage teaching the child about the necessity of the car seat and its safety aspects.  Which I interpret as:  get the child to act like a grown up.  The company stands by its design and says that it meets the US safety requirements.
The crux of the matter is if you buy this car seat you MUST monitor the efficacy of the plastic clip and get it replaced before it is useless.   It is a very scary experience to be travelling 60 miles per hour and see your 22 month old has worked his way out of the car seat.  You will spend the rest of your time watching the child in the seat and less focused on the road.
Avoid the risk.  There are higher quality,  brand name products on the market --even less expensive ones.

Age Range of Child: 12 to 36 Months

Safety 1st Alpha Omega Elite Convertible 3-in-1 Baby Car Seat - Bridgebeam - The Safety 1st Convertible Car Seat is a versatile extended-use car seat ...