Sally Hansen Lip Inflation Plumping Treatment Reviews

Sally Hansen Lip Inflation Plumping Treatment

Epinions Product Rating: OK

Well, at least it's a cheap lip plumper that doesn't work this time...

Jun 4, 2006

Pros:Inexpensive, very glassy and shiny, smells minty

Cons:Doesn't plump lips much at all, makes lips feel cold, sticky

The Bottom Line: Most lip plumpers don't work well. At least this one is a cheap lip plumper that doesn't work well...

As I mentioned in several other reviews, I went on a Sally Hansen binge recently. I liked the look of their lip products and the prices were excellent for what I was supposed to get. Some were decent, many failed to deliver. They do have a 100% money back guarantee but I didn't bother to return the products that didn't live up to expectations. However, I won't repurchase those products either.

One product I know I won't be buying again is Sally Hansen Lip Inflation Plumping Treatment.

The Manufacturer's Claims

From Sally Hansen:

Instantly plumps lips!
Tingly gloss inflates lips to maximum fullness and shine
With ginger, cinnamon and vitamins
Dermatologist tested
You Have:
Pale, ordinary lips
You Want:
Beautiful, full, sexy lips without injections
How It Works:
This refreshing tingly gloss enhances lips' natural color and shape while adding brilliant shine. Peppermint cools and stimulates lips. Lips become flushed and plump instantly for a sexy, pouty look. Vitamins A and E nourish the lips.
You'll Get:
Fabulous, fuller-looking lips that you've always wanted

The Packaging

This product comes carded on a hangtag with a plastic overlay to see the tube of gloss without opening the package. A pair of voluptuous lip catches the eye (at least, they caught mine) and draws people to the product effectively. The tube is clear (as is the gloss) and Sally Hansen simple with a silver top.

My Experience

I paid under six bucks for this tube and honestly didn't expect it to work wonders. Even the most expensive plumping products I have tried have had fairly minimal results but I just couldn't resist trying the gloss anyway.

I did see that the product is a finalist in the 2006 Beauty Insiders Choice Awards for lip treatments under $12.00. Of course, I had no idea what those awards meant or who gave them out but a quick look on the net revealed that several beauty products are voted on by consumers who happen across the Cosmetic Executive Women website. I also noted that five of the seven entries for lip treatments under $12.00 were finalists.

At any rate, I was about to do my own testing of the product.

The gloss is crystal clear. I applied it to clean, dry lips and felt an instant tingle. The scent was like peppermint, which is familiar to anyone using lip plumpers. Many use ingredients to "sting" the lips and make them swell temporarily. My lips didn't sting but they did tingle quite a bit. They felt cold, almost annoyingly so, like I was put my lips against an ice cube. Usually lip plumpers heat up the lips with cinnamon and other warming ingredients - sometimes to the point of burning. This gloss felt opposite of those (but no less uncomfortable).

The gloss is fairly thick and a bit sticky. It made my lips glassy and shiny - more so than any clear gloss I can recall using.

I waited for about five minutes then checked the mirror. I didn't see much difference in the volume of my lips. It's hard to really tell if your lips plump a little when doing a test like this so I did a test the next day on one site of my upper and lower lips. The other half, I left untreated.

After five minutes, I saw a very, very slight plumping effect on the treated side. It wasn't very noticeable but it was there.

The problem with this treatment is that it is so sticky that applying over lipstick or lip gloss could wipe the color right off. Applying it under would make tinted glosses and lipsticks gooey and washed out. The only real way to use this plumper is alone on bare lips. I rarely go out bare lipped even with clear gloss on. I like tinted glosses and lip sticks so this product really serves no purpose for me.

The gloss wears off quickly, too. It lasted only about 45- 50 minutes on my lips even without eating to drinking anything. If I am very careful, I can eek out an hour and a half without reapplying but I have to be super careful about even pursing my lips.

So, is it worth the six bucks? Nah. The plumping you may get is very minimal and very short lived. The gloss, while glassy and shiny, really needs to be worn alone as it is sticky and thick and could muck up lip glosses if applied over and doesn't make a good canvas for lip products if applied under them.

The tingling doesn't hurt but it lasts quite a while, longer even than my Duwop Venom Gloss which actually does give some plumping as well as great color (but is considerably more expensive).

If you like glassy clear lip glosses and don't mind the tingling and possible stinging that lip plumpers utilize to attempt to sell the lips, this product may work for you. If you want a true lip plumper to use in conjunction with your tinted glosses and colored lipsticks, this one falls way short.

Please note that this product only comes in clear. Sally Hansen makes some tinted glosses called Healing Beauty Maximum Plumping Lip Treatment that have color and are supposed to plump the lips at the same time.

Ingredients

Polybutene , Tridecyl Trimellitate , Octyldodecanol , Caprylic , Capric Triglyceride , Ethylhexyl Palmitate , Menthoxypropanediol , Flavor , Simmondsia Chinensis Seed Oil Jojoba , Tocopheryl Acetate , Retinyl Palmitate , Tribehenin , Sorbitan Isostearate , Palmitoyl Oligopeptide , Mentha Piperita Oil Peppermint , Zingiber Officinale Root Oil Ginger , Cinnamomum Zeylanicum Bark Oil , Helianthus Annuus Seed Oil Sunflower, Propylparaben

Buying Info

You can buy this plumper at local drugstores and mass market stores as well as some online drug and beauty websites. It is about six dollars, sometimes cheaper when on sale.

Conclusion

Sally Hansen is trying hard to be a part of the ever growing world of lip treatments and glosses but, so far, I have yet to be blown away - or even impressed - with any of their lip products. I have a couple more to try but I am not expecting great results.

This plumper is cheap and does give the tell tale tingle that shows it is trying to get the blood flowing to your lips and sting them into looking plumper. But the results are very minimal. You can't really wear it with other glosses or lipsticks so what you have is a very shiny, clear gloss that tingles.

If you like that idea, you'll get your money's worth. If you are looking for more than just a trace of plumping, keep looking. This one doesn't seem to do the job.

I give this 3 stars because it is cheap, glassy, and does do a tiny bit of plumping. Many more expensive plumpers do less or the same so at least you won't be throwing away a small fortune if you buy this. It's average in a sea of average lip plumpers that just don't fulfill their big claims.

A couple lip plumpers that worked for me:

CITY Cosmetics CITY Lips Mini Gift Set

DuWop Venom Gloss For Lips

Sally Hansen Lip Inflation, Extreme Clear, 0.22 Ounce

Sally Hansen Lip Inflation, Extreme Clear, 0.22 Ounce

Product Details Instantly and visibly plumps lips to the extreme results guaranteed Plumping hydro-collagen complex and cinnamon extract Hint of tint,...
( Lot Of 3 )sally Hansen Lip Inflation Plumping Treatment Clear 6690-15 New.

( Lot Of 3 )sally Hansen Lip Inflation Plumping Treatment Clear 6690-15 New.

( LOT OF 3 )Sally Hansen Lip Inflation Plumping Treatment CLEAR #6690-15 New YOU WILL RECEIVE 3 UNITS. ALL NEW ,CARDED AND SEALED. NEVER OPENED,NEVER ...

(Pack of 3) Sally Hansen Lip Inflation Plumping Treatment, 6690-15

(Pack of 3) Sally Hansen Lip Inflation Plumping Treatment, 6690-15

A refreshing tingly gloss that enhances lips' natural color and shape while adding brilliant shine
Sally Hansen Nail Growth Solution

Sally Hansen Nail Growth Solution

Find manicure and pedicure at Target.com! Sally hansen nail growth solution

Sally Hansen Airbrush Legs - Tan Glow

Sally Hansen Airbrush Legs - Tan Glow

Find tanning and sun protection at Target.com! Sally hansen airbrush legs - tan glow

Sally Hansen Salon Effects - Bling it On

Sally Hansen Salon Effects - Bling it On

Find manicure and pedicure at Target.com! Bring on the bling with these nail polish strips by sally hansen. These glittering strips are easy to peel a...

Sally Hansen Salon Effects - Kitty, Kitty

Sally Hansen Salon Effects - Kitty, Kitty

Find manicure and pedicure at Target.com! With sally hansen salon effects strips, showing off stylish nail art is easy and fun. They have a pretty ani...

Sally Hansen Salon Effects - Girl Flower

Sally Hansen Salon Effects - Girl Flower

Find manicure and pedicure at Target.com! Take the fuss and mess out of painting your nails with these nail polish strips from sally hansen. Available...

Sally Hansen Airbrush Legs - Light Glow

Sally Hansen Airbrush Legs - Light Glow

Find tanning and sun protection at Target.com! Give your legs a sun-kissed look with sally hansen's airbrush legs. This water-resistant spray-on formu...

4-sally Hansen Vita C Lip Plumper, Tangerine 0.1 Oz (3 G) Cb1

4-sally Hansen Vita C Lip Plumper, Tangerine 0.1 Oz (3 G) Cb1

4-Sally Hansen Vita C Lip Plumper, Tangerine 0.1 oz (3 g) Shipping:$2.00 Lot of 4 Product Details:SALLY HANSEN VITA C LIP PLUMPER # 6687-15 TANGERINE ...