SanDisk Cruzer (8 GB) USB 2.0 Flash Drive (SDCZ6-8192-A11)

Portable, high-capacity storage made easy

Dec 4, 2008

Pros:Lightweight, USB 2.0 connectivity, large capacity

Cons:None

The Bottom Line: Need a small, hi-speed, large capacity replacement for those pesky floppy drives, or smaller capacity flash drives look no further then the SanDisk Cruzer Micro 8.0GB USB Flash Drive.

It had become a habit for me to carry at least one USB flash drive of some capacity with me at all times.  They come in handy in my line of work when I need to transfer files, load a new service pack, or other software on a computer I am working on for a client.  The flash drive also comes in handy when I need to exchange files with friends and or collogues.

But I also need my personal files from my server throughout the day.  My first flash drive was a 64MB Lexar Jump-Drive but, I quickly outgrew it, and purchased a Lexar Media 128MB Jump-Drive, but I all too quickly outgrew it as well and replaced it with a SanDisk Cruzer Mini 2GB USB 2.0 Flash DriveBut 2GB soon proved not enough space so I recently purchased a SanDisk Cruzer Micro USB 2.0 Flash Drive with a stunning 8GB of storage space.

Then Along Came a Chip:

Computer technology seems to move at a pace designed to keep us, the end user, always wanting for the latest and greatest, whether we need it or not.  Every once in a while thought, there comes a product that revolutionalizes the way we compute and share information.  Such was the case with the introduction of CD/RW technology, and so it is with the advent of USB flash memory devices.

For the uninitiated, USB flash memory devices are small ultra-portable devices capable of storing from 32MB to a now up to an astounding 16.0GB of memory storage in a single device.  All are designed to transfer data via an available USB port, no matter the version of USB your computer has; i.e. 1.2, or 2.0, and most are designed to be carried on a key chain.  That should give you an indication of their size and portability.

The Product

The Cruzer Micro 8.0GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive is small (about 3 inches long) high capacity matt black USB Flash Drive with a storage capacity of 8.0GB.  On one end of the drive is a male retractable USB connector; while in the middle of the drive sits a large orange LED that blinks slowly when the drive is plugged into the USB port and is idle; the LED blinks faster when the drive is sending or receiving information.  A small metal ring is situated on the other end of the unit so that it can be attached to a key-ring or neck lanyard.

There are no software drivers to install, and the drive is compatible with Windows Vista, Windows XP and Mac OS X.  Though better suited for USB 2.0 high speed ports, the Cruzer Micro 8.0GB USB 2.0 is backward compatible with USB Version 1.2.

Features:
Retractable USB connector prevents accidental breakage and prolongs product life.Preloaded with software: Contains valuable Skype, CruzerSync, SignupShield, McAfee 30-day try-and-buy trial software plus a U3 tutorial.U3 enabled: The leading standard for smart-drive computing.Key chain ready: Small size makes it easy to carry with a set of keys. (A preassembled key ring comes with the drive).First Impressions:

I love this drive!  Light and transparent, the Cruzer Micro 8.0GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive fits easily into my breast pocket or one of the numerous side and or interior pockets in my laptop case.  And I especially like the fact that the USB connector is retractable; no more lost caps, or exposed connectors.  Smart design!

The Cruzer Micro 8.0GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive is easy to use, and as I pointed out above, the drive is designed for the Windows Vista, Windows XP and Mac X Operating Systems (OS).  Both OS's have the ability to automatically recognize new hardware via plug-n-play technologies.  There is no software to install.  Note: The Windows 95 OS does not support USB, however later OEM versions of the OS will provide limited support for 1.0 USB devices, therefore this drive will not work with the Cruzer Micro 8.0GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive

Once inserted into an available USB port, the Cruzer Micro 8.0GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive is automatically set up as a removable drive, and as such is accessible just as any hard drive or a CD/ROM drive.  They can even be formatted as boot devices.  File transfers are quick and painless via the USB port, and I have experience no file corruption to date, nor do I expect any.

Be advised, that if you have a preponderance of mapped drives already on your computer, as I do, Windows XP may not assign your removable media the next open drive letter; this happen to me.  If you insert the Cruzer Micro 8.0GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive and get the message that new hardware has been found and is now available for use, but the device is not assigned a drive letter, you must go to Control Panel /Administrative Tools/ Computer Manager/ Disk Manager, to manually assign the drive letter.

I have created several Windows "Briefcases" on the Cruzer Micro 8.0GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive into which I have "synced" all of my most important files from my home based file server.  These are the same files I have available on my laptop via Windows "off-line files and folders."  I routinely transfers files from my laptop computer to my workstation computer at work via the Cruzer Micro 8.0GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive.  And because the memory in the Cruzer Micro 8.0GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive is none-volatile, once removed from the USB port, your files follow you wherever you go.  Nothing could be simpler; nothing could be easier; nothing could be more advanced!

Conclusion

I couldn't ask for a better product then the Cruzer Micro 8.0GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive, or one of its brethren.  Small, lightweight and extremely utilitarian, the Cruzer Micro 8.0GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive with its retractable USB port is my new my new best friend.  If you need a small, versatile, hi-speed, large capacity replacement for those pesky floppy drives, or smaller capacity flash drives look no further then the Cruzer Micro 8.0GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive.

Sandisk Cruzer 4 Gb Usb Flash Drive -

Sandisk Cruzer 4 Gb Usb Flash Drive -

SanDisk Cruzer 4 GB USB Flash Drive - NEW!!!

SanDisk - Cruzer Fit 16GB USB Flash Drive

SanDisk - Cruzer Fit 16GB USB Flash Drive

This SanDisk Cruzer Fit SDCZ33-016G-A11 flash drive features a 16GB capacity to store your media and documents. SanDisk SecureAcces software uses pass...
Best Buy

SanDisk Cruzer Fit USB Flash Drive - 16GB

SanDisk Cruzer Fit USB Flash Drive - 16GB

Think small. Whether you're watching videos on your TV or taking music along with you in the car, sometimes a full-sized USB drive is just too bulky. ...
QVC

SanDisk - Cruzer CZ51 64GB USB Flash Drive, Memory & Data Storage

SanDisk - Cruzer CZ51 64GB USB Flash Drive, Memory & Data Storage

SanDisk Cruzer CZ51 64GB USB Flash Drive The stylish flash drive designed to keep your cap as close as your data. Store, protect and transfer your fil...
Adorama

SanDisk Cruzer Slice USB Flash Drive 4GB

SanDisk Cruzer Slice USB Flash Drive 4GB

Capacity:4GB; Color:Black; Features:Retractable; USB:USB 2.0; Dimensions (cm):6.1 x 2.4 x 0.8; Weight (kg):0.013; Brand:SanDisk
lightinthebox
SanDisk Cruzer Edge USB Flash Drive 4GB

SanDisk Cruzer Edge USB Flash Drive 4GB

Capacity:4GB; Color:Black; Features:Retractable; USB:USB 2.0; Dimensions (cm):4.5 x 2.0 x 0.8; Weight (kg):0.005; Brand:SanDisk
LightInTheBox

Sandisk Cruzer Switch 16 Gb Usb Flash Thumb Pen Drive

Sandisk Cruzer Switch 16 Gb Usb Flash Thumb Pen Drive

SanDisk Cruzer Switch 16 GB USB Flash Drive.Brand new! In original manufacturer's sealed retail packaging.Simple Flip-Top Design Protects USB Connecto...
SanDisk - Cruzer Fit 32GB USB Flash Drive

SanDisk - Cruzer Fit 32GB USB Flash Drive

This SanDisk Cruzer Fit 32GB flash drive is designed to fit most laptops, tablets, TVs and car audio systems and features SecureAccess software to hel...
Best Buy

Sandisk SanDisk Cruzer Glide - USB flash drive - 128 GB - USB 2.0 (SDCZ60-128G-A46)

The Cruzer Glide USB flash drive offers an easy and secure way to share, move, and back up your most important files. Featuring a compact design with ...
Dell