San Angel Inn

Was That Really Chicken?

Jul 29, 2008 (Updated Jul 29, 2008)
  • User Rating: OK

• Food and Presentation:
  • Ambiance and Decor:
  • Quality of Service:

Pros:Atmosphere, Service

Cons:Food, Food, Food!

The Bottom Line: I do not recommend this restaurant, however I do think everybody should try something once and make up their own mind.

Pros:
Great Atmosphere

Cons:
Food
Food

Well, this is not what I was expecting. I guess this plays a huge part into not enjoying this dining experience.

Upon arrival, we were sat immediately. The fact that the restaurant was only half-full at 6:00 should have been a pretty good indication to me of what to expect. Despite all of the terrible reviews I had read from Disney fanatics, I decided we could give it a shot. I wanted to make up my own mind.

The waiter came right over, took the drink order and was back in like 3 minutes. I had no complaints about the service whatsoever. The service was fantastic. Our drinks were never empty, the food was brought out in a timely manner, our server had a fantastic personality, though hard to understand and while taking care of about 6 other tables, he was really on top of things.

The food itself was very disappointing. I am from Texas, where we generally dine on Tex-Mex. I went into San Angel Inn knowing that this was not the kind of food we would be served.

I married into a Mexican family where they eat a lot and I do mean a lot of authentic Mexican dishes. The only thing they do that is not traditional is they eat refriend beans instead of black beans. The rest of their cooking style is pretty traditional. So, this is what I was expecting.

Nothing served on the menu is truly a traditional Mexican dish. I realize that with spices and a cooking style, anything can be used to create a dish of any flare.

My sister was scared of everything on the menu and had the Pollo a las Rajas. She did not enjoy hers at all. She said the chicken tasted too wild or fowl, it lacked flavor. She also said that the chorizo tasted funny. I took a little taste of the chorizo and I had to agree. It was weird tasting, to say the least.

I love Chicken Mole, so I tried the Mole Poblano. BIG mistake. Even smothered in the sauce, my chicken had that gamey or fowl taste my sister described. It was also a bit tough. Chicken is supposed to be cooked, pulled apart and then added into the mole to simmer so that it is not tough and the flavors blend. This was little chunks of chicken and carrot with what was supposed to be a mole over the top of it. This did not taste like mole. The color was not right either, which should have been an indication that I would not like it. The mole is supposed to have a hint of chocolate, this was too much. Generally you would add some peanut butter to the mole to offset the chocolate, I do not believe they do this. Overall, the mole did not have a good flavor. It was gritty instead of smooth, it was way too dark and there was not even the slightest hint of cumin, garlic, pepper or even a pinch of salt.

My sister had a margarita and sadly, it did not taste good either. I have no idea what part of Mexico San Angel Inn is trying to represent, but I assure you that it is not anything I have ever had before.

For dessert my sister had the flan. She could not stomach it as she said it had the consistency of mucous. I had the Capirotada de Chocolate Blanco which I was pleasantly surprised at. It had a very strange combination of flavors, but it was a nice blend.

I will not ever be visiting San Angel Inn again. The food was just not good. We pretty much threw all of it out as it just did not taste very good. As a matter of fact, we found everything to be pretty much flavorless.

So if you choose to go to San Angel Inn, I would strongly suggest (especially if you live anywhere in the South) that you wipe your mind of everything you know about Mexican food and expect a whole new experience.

Scores
Cleanliness: A
Food: F
Service: A
Wait: A

Kid Friendliness: Yes
Vegetarian Friendly: Yes
Notes, Tips or Menu Recommendations I recommend nothing, unfortunately.
Best Suited For: Romantic Evening

Edgewater Inn

Edgewater Inn

Don't you wish you could book a reservation at this picturesque inn? Part of the Winters Frost Collection by Department 56 this beautiful Edgewate...
Bronners.com

- Florene Architecture - Famous Inn - Greeting Cards

- Florene Architecture - Famous Inn - Greeting Cards

Florene Architecture - Famous Inn - Greeting Cards
Boxed Christmas Card - Holly Inn

Boxed Christmas Card - Holly Inn

Find cards, invitations and stationery at Target.com! Boxed christmas card - holly inn

Personalized Outdoorsman Beer Mugs, Bass Inn, Set of 4

Personalized Outdoorsman Beer Mugs, Bass Inn, Set of 4

Your hunt for a great way to enjoy and serve frosty beverages ends here with these Personalized Sportsman Beer Mugs. These glass beer mugs feature you...

Country Inn - Breakfast Gift Basket

Country Inn - Breakfast Gift Basket

Hearty, warm, and wholesome, a country breakfast is certainly hard to beat. And this basket is full of all the ingredients to give them just that. W...
Gourmet Gift Baskets.com

Holiday Treasures Snowflake Angel Figurine 8.4297E+11 San Francisco Music Box Company

842970050476 Features: -Tune:Hark the Herald Angels Sing.-18-Note movement.-Hand sculpted.-Hand painted.
6 Gorgeous Pumpernickel Press Lovers At The Inn Anniversary / Wedding Cards

6 Gorgeous Pumpernickel Press Lovers At The Inn Anniversary / Wedding Cards

6 GORGEOUS PUMPERNICKEL PRESS LOVERS AT THE INN ANNIVERSARY / WEDDING CARDS! 6 GORGEOUS PUMPERNICKEL PRESS LOVERS AT THE INN ANNIVERSARY / WEDDING CAR...

Personalized Outdoorsman Beer Mug, Big Buck Inn

Personalized Outdoorsman Beer Mug, Big Buck Inn

18 Lang Christmas Cards Christmas At Wayside Inn In Box

18 Lang Christmas Cards Christmas At Wayside Inn In Box

Brand New In Box 18 Lang Christmas Cards Christmas At Wayside Inn by Mary Singleton Inside Verse: Glad tidings to you and your kin! Merry Christmas an...

Personalized Outdoorsman Beer Mugs, Big Buck Inn, Set of 4