SanDisk 32 GB Class 4 - MicroSDHC Card - Retail - (SDSDQ-032G-A11M) Reviews

SanDisk 32 GB Class 4 - MicroSDHC Card - Retail - (SDSDQ-032G-A11M)

+$9.95 shipping Office Depot

Tons of Storage on this 32 GB SanDisk microSDHC Card

Dec 12, 2012

Pros:holds lots of files, easy to use, hard plastic case, water proof, x-ray proof

Cons:does not come with an adapter

The Bottom Line: This SanDisk 32GB microSDHC Card is excellent.  Performs well, despite my few stumbling blocks in purchasing a microSDHC card.

Who thought I would have this much trouble purchasing a microSDHC card for my Nook Color.  After some false starts, I am now the happy owner of this SanDisk 32GB microSDHC Card (Model # SDSDQ-032G-A11M).

Description

This microSDHC card is about the size of my pinky nail.  It is small and comes in a hard plastic case that measures 1 1/2" square.  The case comes packaged on a blister card.  The labeling on the package says the card is ideal for mobile phones, cameras, and tablets.  Further advertising claims the card is water proof, temperature proof, shock proof, and x-ray proof.  This is a Class 4 Memory Card.  The maximum read/write speed is 10 MB/s.  It does not come with an adapter.

There are some disclaimers on the back of the packaging.  Actual user storage is less than the full 32GB listed (though the packaging does not state why).  There is also this statement: “HD video (1280x720) support may vary upon host device, file size, resolution, compression, bit rate, content and other factors.”

My Experiences

I wanted a microSDHC card for my Nook Color.  Since the Nook Color can handle a variety of media files, I wanted to make sure it had plenty of storage room.  There is a small compartment on the back side of the Nook, near the corner, where a microSDHC card can be inserted.

This card is small.  I made sure I was in a spot where if I fumbled the card, it would not become lost.  The SanDisk card slipped easily into the compartment on the back of the Nook.  The Nook instantly recognized it as did my computer.

By plugging the Nook via USB cord to my computer, I have been able to drag and drop lots of files onto the card.  The card has more space than I will probably use but I received a great deal on it.  So far this card is loaded with eBooks, apps, and music files … and I still have tons of space left on it.  Since the Nook Color can view Microsoft Word documents and PDF files, I also use it for viewing work related material and drafts of my own writing.  The microSDHC card has taken every file I’ve thrown at it.  I have not loaded video or photo files onto this card since I don’t use my Nook for viewing that type of material.

Even though this is a Class 4 card, and not as speedy as a Class 6 card, I have no trouble with speed issues.  I think if I were handling large video files, then I might notice a difference.  (The Nook Color takes up to a Class 6 microSDHC card and has a maximum limit of 32GB.)

I have not had an instance where I have had to test the claim of the card being water proof or temperature proof since it has not been exposed to moisture or extreme temperatures.  The Nook receives the usual jostling with moving around, but nothing extreme, and the microSDHC card is behaving well.  Should I need to submit the card to x-rays, it is nice to know it will survive the treatment.

Initially, I thought to buy the SanDisk 16 GB microSDHC card with an adapter (the adapter would hold the microSDHC card so that I could plug it directly into the computer if needed).  Staples had advertised it on their website for a terrific price.  However, whoever loaded the information onto the Staples website made an error, and I was sent a regular SD card.  When I phoned Staples about the mistake, they were apologetic and told me to keep the 16 GB SD card (very nice!).  They also told me that none of their microSDHC card came with adapters and that the SanDisk 16 GB microSDHC card they did have was sold out.  That is when I decided to upgrade to the SanDisk 32 GB microSDHC card, and I’m very glad I did.

Purchasing

Staples.com
has a regular price of $79.99 on this microSDHC card.  I bought it on sale for $29.99.  Since Staples also let me keep the 16 GB SD card they sent by mistake, this was an excellent deal!

Summary

This SanDisk 32GB microSDHC Card has surpassed all my needs.  I’ve been buying the SanDisk name for a long time and am pleased with their products.  This card is a great buy.  My only wish is that I would have liked an adapter just in case I wanted to plug the micro-card directly into my computer.  I can’t do that without the adapter.  Still, I’m very happy with this card and how it is performing.

I hope you found this review useful.

Enjoy the day,
Dawn

Please read my other reviews:

Western Digital Passport Essential Portable Hard Drive