SanDisk Cruzer (32 GB) USB 2.0 Flash Drive (SDCZ36-032G-A11)

It's Not Worth the Price

Mar 1, 2011 (Updated Nov 8, 2012)

Pros:Very portable

Cons:Too fragile

The Bottom Line: GB for GB, it isn't a bad investment.

When I first bought my two SanDisk Cruzer (32 GB) USB 2.0 Flash Drive (SDCZ36-032G-A11) locally for $89.99 each I was a bit on the angry side. I needed small, portable drives which had a decent storage size, but didn’t wait a month for the prices to come down. (One for drivers and anti-virus programs for the ten computers on my home network, and the other for programs like media players, codec and anti-virus software.) I should have waited, but I thought I needed them right then and there. I’ve gotten a little wiser since then.

At first, I thought they were great. They did hold just about everything I needed, and they made swapping files a cinch. I set great store by how portable they were, not to mention carrying one with me everywhere with important files and documents.

Later (within six months), I just wasn't as happy with them. Some of the reasons for this are:

1. The plastic covers aren't very durable, and can pop open with a short drop (less than two feet).

2. The USB plugs become worn and loose with frequent use. One generally buys flash drives to be used anywhere at any time which includes frequently plugging and unplugging them.

3. Systems with Windows Vista often say that they were shut down incorrectly and need to be scanned.

4. It doesn't take much of an impact to cause the USB plug to pull off the circut board. Once the leads are pulled away from the board, it will take a professional data extraction service to get data off the chip.

I did lose one to the retractable USB plug breaking off. In retrospect it was entirely my fault for carrying around a laptop with it still plugged in. I now keep my Cruzer flash drives better protected. Why? Because out of all of my various flash drives the Cruzer’s have lasted the longest. It’s been several years since I bought them. I honestly can’t say that I’m not angry about my purchase anymore. I’ve wound up spending far more on other brands. Looked at in that perspective I’m actually better off having paid more for my initial purchase. I can trust my SanDisk Cruzer 32GB flash drive – as long as I’m not banging it into corners by accident or dropping it on hard surfaces.

The read/write speed of this flash drive is comparable to newer USB 2.0 drives. You’d think that being somewhere in the neighborhood of four-plus years old that it would have slowed down by now. The speed is more determined by the computer it’s plugged into in my opinion. A 2GB movie file on a dual-core 1.8GHZ takes about five minutes. That same file on a quad-core 3GHz system takes a minute ans a half or less.

Conclusion

With prices for flash drives coming down so much since the 128GB and larger models have come out you almost can’t afford not to have one of these. They’re dependable, and with a little preventive care they last. I now have several different SanDisk Cruzer flash drives now in various sizes. Some I keep in my safe with really important files, and others I carry in my laptop bag.

Sandisk Cruzer 4 Gb Usb Flash Drive -

Sandisk Cruzer 4 Gb Usb Flash Drive -

SanDisk Cruzer 4 GB USB Flash Drive - NEW!!!

SanDisk - Cruzer Fit 16GB USB Flash Drive

SanDisk - Cruzer Fit 16GB USB Flash Drive

This SanDisk Cruzer Fit SDCZ33-016G-A11 flash drive features a 16GB capacity to store your media and documents. SanDisk SecureAcces software uses pass...
Best Buy

SanDisk Cruzer Fit USB Flash Drive - 16GB

SanDisk Cruzer Fit USB Flash Drive - 16GB

Think small. Whether you're watching videos on your TV or taking music along with you in the car, sometimes a full-sized USB drive is just too bulky. ...
QVC

SanDisk - Cruzer CZ51 64GB USB Flash Drive, Memory & Data Storage

SanDisk - Cruzer CZ51 64GB USB Flash Drive, Memory & Data Storage

SanDisk Cruzer CZ51 64GB USB Flash Drive The stylish flash drive designed to keep your cap as close as your data. Store, protect and transfer your fil...
Adorama

SanDisk Cruzer Slice USB Flash Drive 4GB

SanDisk Cruzer Slice USB Flash Drive 4GB

Capacity:4GB; Color:Black; Features:Retractable; USB:USB 2.0; Dimensions (cm):6.1 x 2.4 x 0.8; Weight (kg):0.013; Brand:SanDisk
lightinthebox
SanDisk Cruzer Edge USB Flash Drive 4GB

SanDisk Cruzer Edge USB Flash Drive 4GB

Capacity:4GB; Color:Black; Features:Retractable; USB:USB 2.0; Dimensions (cm):4.5 x 2.0 x 0.8; Weight (kg):0.005; Brand:SanDisk
LightInTheBox

Sandisk Cruzer Switch 16 Gb Usb Flash Thumb Pen Drive

Sandisk Cruzer Switch 16 Gb Usb Flash Thumb Pen Drive

SanDisk Cruzer Switch 16 GB USB Flash Drive.Brand new! In original manufacturer's sealed retail packaging.Simple Flip-Top Design Protects USB Connecto...
SanDisk - Cruzer Fit 32GB USB Flash Drive

SanDisk - Cruzer Fit 32GB USB Flash Drive

This SanDisk Cruzer Fit 32GB flash drive is designed to fit most laptops, tablets, TVs and car audio systems and features SecureAccess software to hel...
Best Buy

Sandisk SanDisk Cruzer Glide - USB flash drive - 128 GB - USB 2.0 (SDCZ60-128G-A46)

The Cruzer Glide USB flash drive offers an easy and secure way to share, move, and back up your most important files. Featuring a compact design with ...
Dell