Santa Clarita, CA

Santa Clarita Valley-A Great Place to Live or Visit

Jun 16, 2007

Pros:Beautiful; hometown feeling; mostly new (city was incorporated in 1987).

Cons:The temps can exceed 100 in the summer, although low humidity helps.

The Bottom Line: I'd visit during the winter months. Rain is possible, but it is cooler with a great opportunity to enjoy the abundant wilderness areas. Great place for all!

If your travels are going to take you to the Los Angeles area, consider a visit to the Santa Clarita Valley. While Los Angeles residents tend to think of Santa Clarita as a bedroom community (which it is), it is also a destination in itself.

Six Flags Magic Mountain and Hurricane Harbor were the original, if only, tourist destination there for years. Now, as the valley's population has grown, so have the attractions. Located about 40 minutes from Hollywood, Rodeo Drive, and other Los Angeles attractions, it is a very safe place to stay. The rich western and movie heritage of the SCV is still alive and well today. There is a movie studio to tour (where HBO's "Deadwood" is filmed), a Western Walk of Stars, movie locations, shopping, restaurants, and evening entertainment. Summer nights are filled with the sound of outdoor concerts (free) and outdoor movies (free). Ranger-led hikes, some in the moonlight, animal encounters, horseback riding, hiking, and star gazing are also popular.

If you've been offered a job in Los Angeles, don't panic. That happened to us in 2000 and we almost turned it down without pursuing it. But someone told us about the beautiful Santa Clarita Valley, so we flew out here and checked it out. It's seven years later--and we still live here and love it! Not surprisingly, because it is often awarded as one of the best places to live in the U.S.

There's a lot more info at http://www.SantaClaritaGuide.com. They have tourist and visitor pages, as well as everything you should know before relocating to Southern California, with specific info to Santa Clarita.

Have fun...and welcome!