Scotts Accugreen 2000

Scotts AccuGreen 2000 Drop Spreader - Makes Lawn Care Easy

Jul 2, 2003 (Updated Jul 2, 2003)

Pros:Easy rolling, rustproof hopper, even application

Cons:None

The Bottom Line: Easy to use drop spreader that applies product evenly and consistently.

For a couple years now we've been trying to get some kind of "lawn" established around our rural, wooded home. We're definitely making progress. I've been applying grass seed and fertilizer with the Scotts Hand-Held Spreader, but it's very heavy and hard to hold. I wanted to get a walk-behind drop spreader, since after all I'm trying to cover roughly 1,000 sq. ft.

I saw the Scotts AccuGreen 2000 Drop Spreader at my local hardware store, and purchased it for $31.99. It was the only model they offered, and I didn't shop around.

~ Product Description

The Scotts AccuGreen 2000 Drop Spreader is designed to apply grass seed, fertilizer, and other lawn products. You put the product in the hopper, hold the trigger, and walk. The product is applied evenly to the grass as you walk.

Some of the features this model offers are:

- U-shaped handle with fingertip on/off control
- Precision micrometer rate setting
- Mid-size hopper will hold more than 7,500 sq. ft. of fertilizer
- 18 inch spread width
- 12 inch wheels for stability and maneuverability
- Rustproof hopper, agitator and polymer components
- Scotts "No Quibble" guarantee

~ Cleaning and Maintenance

The Scotts AccuGreen 2000 Drop Spreader requires almost no maintenance at all. We are told to never leave product in the hopper. After each use it should be hosed off and left to dry in the sun. There is no lubrication required. That's it!

~ My Experience

Upon purchase the Scotts AccuGreen 2000 Drop Spreader was folded up for storage. It was an easy task to follow the simple instructions to get started. I just had to lift up the stand and brace and insert the ends into the holes in the stand. Then I needed to raise the top half of the handle and tighten the wing nuts to hold it in place. These are nifty, patented wing nuts that required no tools. Simple and easy!

Oh, and when you want to store the spreader, all you've got to do is reverse those steps. I've got plenty of storage room, so I probably won't bother. Collapsing the handle does make it smaller for storage though.

There is a cable that runs from the spreader mechanism to the handle. It is permanently attached. Near the handle is a setting for the spreading rate. It just twists, and the setting number becomes visible in a little window. Most lawn products have a recommended setting number indicated on the packaging.

To begin, fill the hopper with the product you want to apply. The hopper is nice and wide, and I found that it's easy enough to add product without spilling. It's suggested that you fill the hopper on the driveway, not on the lawn - just in case you do spill some I suppose.

Once you have your product in the hopper, just squeeze the trigger on the handle and walk. The trigger is easy to pull and hold open, and doesn't require much strength. It is suggested that you always push the spreader when applying product. If the spreader is pulled backwards while it's open, too much may be applied and possibly damage your lawn.

The literature that came with the Scotts AccuGreen 2000 Drop Spreader has some tips for application that I found useful:

- If you have a rectangular or square shaped lawn, they suggest making a header strip across each short end for a turning area. Also, don't leave the spreader open as you turn.

- If you have an odd-shaped or irregular shape to cover, apply a header strip completely around it, then apply the product back and forth in the longest direction. They have some handy graphics that depict these scenarios.

- They also suggest that to avoid missed streaks that you slightly overlap the edge of each strip by lining up the arrow on the hopper with the wheel track of the previous row. The arrow is definitely helpful, but it was hard for me to see my wheel tracks sometimes. There's a tip to water the lawn slightly before using the spreader because that will make your tracks easier to see. I didn't, because my lawn area is just too huge, and I was too impatient to get started.

I fertilized my entire 1,000+ sq. ft. and it was easy! The Scotts AccuGreen 2000 Drop Spreader rolled smoothly and was easy to push, even when full with product. We have extremely uneven ground, with some steep inclines, boulders, and trees. The large wheels on the spreader made for good maneuvering, and it handled the uneven ground beautifully.

I was totally impressed with the way the product dispensed so evenly and consistently, all the way to the very last bit. If I wanted to stop the product from coming out, like when I was turning, I just let go of the trigger. Pull the trigger and it started flowing again. Even holding the trigger for a long time wasn't tiring to my hand. I am SO glad I bought this!

~ Final Thoughts

I am extremely pleased with my Scotts AccuGreen 2000 Drop Spreader. It does a fantastic job on my challenging, uneven ground. It is easy to use, dispenses the product evenly and consistently, and requires virtually no maintenance.

Scotts Lawn Equipment 43.75 in. H Snap Spreader 77105

Scotts Lawn Equipment 43.75 in. H Snap Spreader 77105

Shop for Outdoors at The Home Depot. Scotts Snap spreader is made exclusively to be used with the Scotts Snap Pac product family. The spreader has the...
Home Depot

Scotts Liquid Turf Builder Lawn Fertilizers With Plus 2 Weed Control Rts,

Scotts Liquid Turf Builder Lawn Fertilizers With Plus 2 Weed Control Rts,

Scotts Liquid Turf Builder Lawn Fertilizers with Plus 2 Weed Control RTS, 32-Ounce Item Description Ready to use. Controls over 80 different broadleaf...

Scotts Halts Crabgrass Preventer

Scotts Halts Crabgrass Preventer

Crabgrass preventer. Ingredients: Pendimethalin
Quill.com

Scotts Turf Lawn Builder Edgeguard Mini Broadcast Spreader 5000-sq Ft 76121

Scotts Turf Lawn Builder Edgeguard Mini Broadcast Spreader 5000-sq Ft 76121

Shop-Kategorien Informationen Über uns Bezahlung Versand Widerruf Scotts 76121 Turf Builder EdgeGuard Mini Broadcast Spreader Click to Enlarge   Re...

Scotts 76121 Turf Builder Edgeguard Mini Broadcast Spreader Ship Free

Scotts 76121 Turf Builder Edgeguard Mini Broadcast Spreader Ship Free

UpscaleDeals by wtang -eBay Seller Since 1998- ::Store ::Policy ::About Us :: Store Search in titles descriptions Store Categories Store home Mens Sui...

Scotts Spreader Hand Held Plastic 24

Scotts Spreader Hand Held Plastic 24

Scotts Spreader Hand Held Plastic 24 HANDY GREEN HAND HELD SPREADER *24 spread *Hand held *For seed, fertilizer ice melt *Plastic hopper agitator *On/...

Scotts Weed Control

Scotts Weed Control

Find grass and weed control products at Target.com! Keep your garden and lawn weed free with the scotts weed control. The carpet helps reduce the amou...

Scott's Adjustable Collar

Scott's Adjustable Collar

Adjustable nylon collars have quick release buckles so they are easy to put on or take off. Adjustable slide allows for the perfect fit.
Valley Vet Supply

Scotts Lawn Mowers 18 in. Deluxe Reel Mower 815-18S

Scotts Lawn Mowers 18 in. Deluxe Reel Mower 815-18S

Shop for Outdoors at The Home Depot. Scotts 18 in Deluxe Reel Push Mower require no gas, no oil and has no fumes. With 5 heat-treated, tempered-alloy ...
Home Depot