Scotts Classic Reel Lawn Mower Package (SCP) Reviews

Scotts Classic Reel Lawn Mower Package (SCP)

Know what you are buying

Oct 5, 2005

Pros:Energy efficiency, No emissions, Small size, sturdy, Easy assembly, Quiet, Cuts wet, Price, Self-sharpening

Cons:Unintuitive blade adjustment, Edging, Sticks jam reel

The Bottom Line: This is a great mower for small to medium yards. But, if you desire a grass-carpet look, this isn't the one for you.

Before I bought my Scotts Classic, I did my homework. I read lots of reviews, examined one in the local Home Depot and reviewed the competing powered mowers. So I knew what to expect, more or less, from the machine. I'm happy to say that after two years of use, it has absolutely lived up to my expectations.

But, before you take the plunge, know what you are buying.

The Scotts Classic will never make your lawn look like a golf course. If you prefer the evenly manicured, grass carpet look, this is not the mower for you. I'm not listing this as a 'con' because I personally like the slightly less formal cut the Scotts delivers. But it's not for everyone. You should expect some variation in the height of the cut blades of grass.

It's not effortless. Again, I don't consider that a negative. It is what it is. Obviously, riding a Lawn Boy is less work than pushing a reel mower. But it certainly isn't hard. Even when the grass is long, I don't have a problem jogging with my mower. My wife has no problems with it, either, and she's quite a small person (though scrappy.)

The upside:
Energy efficiency: No need to purchase gasoline for this mower.
Emissions: On hot days, a little sweat is the only emission from the Scotts Classic powertrain (me.)
Small size: The mower takes up less room than comparable powered mowers.
Easy assembly: Installing the handle was the only assembly out of the box.
Cut height adjustment: Adjusting the cutting height is done with a simple lever near the wheels.
Cut width: This mower has a wider cutting path (20") than most reel mowers.
Quiet: I can cut my lawn before I go to work and not worry about waking up the neighborhood.
Cuts wet: The mower will go through wet grass as easily as dry.
Price: Purchase price might be a bit intimidating, but operating costs are, obviously, very low.
Self-sharpening: The mower comes with a sharpening kit which consists of a crank and some sharpening solution. You brush the solution on the blade and crank it in reverse. I haven't tried this yet because my blades are still sharp, but it looks easy enough.

The downside:
Blade adjustment: By this I mean, adjusting the distance between the blades and the cut plate. This isn't difficult, by any means, but it does take a bit of practice. And it's not especially intuitive or marked well on the machine itself. The instruction manual covers the process well, however.
Edging: You will still need something to cut the edges of your lawn. My garden beds are edged with fieldstone and the Scotts will not get close enough to edge it. I use an electric weed whacker for this job. I am hesitant to list this as a con, since I would hesitate to run a riding mower deck over the tops of those field-stones for fear of breaking a blade. I suspect I would end up using my weed whacker anyway.
Sticks: The reel will stop dead on all but the smallest of sticks. To clear the reel, you need to kick the blades in reverse and pull backwards. It's not a big deal, but the Classic certainly will not sheer through wood with the aplomb of a gas mower.

American Lawn Mower Scott's Classic 20 Push Reel Mower 2000-20S

American Lawn Mower Scott's Classic 20 Push Reel Mower 2000-20S

American Lawn Mower 2000-20S Scotts Classic 20 Reel Push Mower gives you the fuel savings of a manual mower and the wide cutting width of a power mow...
Wayfair

Scotts Lawn Mower. 20 in. Classic Reel Mower

Scotts Lawn Mower. 20 in. Classic Reel Mower

Shop for Outdoor Power Equipment at The Home Depot. With manual-push operation, a loop-style handle and a super-soft foam grip for comfort, the Scotts...
Home Depot

Great States 12400156 Great States 2000-20 Scotts Classic Reel Lawn Mower with 20 Cutting Width, N/A

20 Classic Push Reel Lawn Mower

10 dual tracking wheels and rugged radial tires 9 grass heights to choose from (1-3 inches) controlled by quick-snap height adjusters 5 heat-treated s...

American Lawn Mower Reel Mower Sharpening Kit SK-1

American Lawn Mower Reel Mower Sharpening Kit SK-1

American Lawn Mower SK-1 Features: -Reel mower blade sharpening kit with easy to follow instructions.-1 Box to keep reel blades in top cutting form.-P...
Wayfair

20? Classic Push Reel Lawn Mower-2000-20

20? Classic Push Reel Lawn Mower-2000-20

Usually ships within 3 business day
American Lawn Mower - Great States SK-1 Reel Mower Sharpening Kit

American Lawn Mower - Great States SK-1 Reel Mower Sharpening Kit

This new innovation was exclusively designed to allow do-it-yourselfers to sharpen their mowers at home .