The Scotts Company Scotts Company Soils Mg Organic Choice Potting Mix 16 Quart - 72986650 (Scotts) (390576) Reviews

Scotts Organic Choice Potting Mix Spoils My Fruit

May 7, 2012

Pros:formulatd for container plants, moist, clean looking

Cons:expensive, some controversy

The Bottom Line: In spite of the price I recommend it. This was great for my tomatoes and strawberries, which are growing again.

It is not a matter of having a green thumb or not for me. I really don't have one but I also do not like gardening. I am not sure which came first. I do love my houseplants!

Years ago we had a great garden but the garden came with the house. At this house we tried a garden and failed; however, I decided to try to plant tomatoes and strawberries in very large containers meant for this kind of fruit.

I went to Home Depot and had regular Miracle Gro in my cart. A woman who worked there helped me with that choice but then I started looking at Scotts Miracle Gro Organic Choice Potting Soil. Another woman who was shopping saw me looking at it and said that she uses it in spite of it costing twice as much as what was in my cart, I bought 4, 16 dry quart bags - for about $5.00 each.

My experience

I started reading and reading and now could write a thesis on potting soil - well almost - I am still not certain whether this is a mix or soil. Since it needs no mixing (What I read was that organic growers make their own soil.) I guess we could just call it soil. In any case I brought it home and my husband asked, "Isn't all soil natural?" since the price sort of freaked him out.  Soil is not all the same I came to read.

Scotts Miracle Gro Organic Choice Potting Soil has organic ingredients. It has all natural starting and slow release fertilizer that "provides both quick and slow release feeding for up to 2 months.” It has nature's own bionutrients.” This is from the packaging.
What is in the fertilizer are things like sphagnum peat moss (from Wikipedia that word sphagnum means “a genus of between 151 and 350 species of mosses commonly called peat moss)  and composted bark fines (“small pieces of pine bark frequently used as a soil conditioner or in some container mixes. Pine bark fines are slow to decompose, thus providing structure to custom potting mixes and improving drainage.” About.com)

It is formulated especially for container plants and vegetables so it was perfect for what I was doing. I bought two large containers and put two veggie/fruit plants in each and some marigolds, which I heard might keep the bugs away. This all happened last year, but I am planning on using Scotts Miracle Gro Organic Choice Potting Soil again and have all my items ready to go.

The containers have drainage holes so after I punched those out I filled up the pots with Scotts Miracle Gro Organic Choice Potting Soil.

Unless it had rained I watered them every day and gave them a great watering when they were first planted.

I think the soil has a nice consistency. It doesn't feel heavy; it does feel moist. It smells fresh and I didn't find anything in the soil that I shouldn't have found.

There is some controversy revolving Scotts Miracle Gro Organic Choice Potting Soil. (By the way, that is the correct name.) It has to do with the harvesting of Canadian sphagnum peat moss and whether or not it's harming the environment. That’s all I'll say about this except I recycle everything I can and think I do my part on leaving this place better than I found it so I am not sweating the controversy.

I recall this so well because we had not had luck with much outside. I know that after perhaps a couple of weeks the tomato plants didn't even reach the top of the rim. In no time they grew and grew. I had strawberries. In fact in spite of not even adding any soil yet this year, my strawberries are coming back. The pots are a mess. I haven’t cleaned them out and they have been outside all winter.

Jo's final thoughts:

I find this all amazing and I am giving credit to Scotts Miracle Gro Organic Choice Potting Soil.

Family Sport