Scotts Winterizer with Plus 2 Weed Control

Scott's Winterguard: A Little Work Now Means Less Work Later

Oct 13, 2006 (Updated Oct 24, 2006)

Pros:Effectively kills weeds now and thickens yards in Spring

Cons:Can harm shrubs and other plants; Somewhat dusty

The Bottom Line: This is a very good product for proactive weed control and lawn care.

I have always hated lawn work but I understand and grudgingly accept the fact that a yard must be properly taken care of to prevent problems from spiraling out of control. What little time I devote to my yard is usually routine maintenance like mowing grass and pulling weeds. Every now and then, however, I get some added ambition and I decide to do a little proactive lawn care. And one product designed for Fall care is Scott’s Turf Builder Winterguard with Plus 2 Weed Control, a product that prepares your yard for the coming Spring.

Basic Characteristics of This Product:

This fertilizer/weed control product is comprised of small granular particles that stick to weeds and go directly to work to kill them permanently. The product helps to kill new weeds immediately, thereby lessening the number of weeds that will sprout up during the Spring. At the same time, the fertilizing elements of this product help to make your lawn thicker in the Spring when the grass starts to grow. It accomplishes this by strengthening the roots of the grasses, leading to a greener lawn once warmer weather returns.

Scott's sells this product in two sizes. The smaller bag covers 5,000 square feet of yard space and sells for about $15. The larger bag covers 15,000 square feet and sells for about $35.

How to Apply:

Scott’s Turf Builder Winterguard needs to be applied using a spreader. Either a drop spreader or broadcast spreader will do the trick. It is best to apply when your grass is wet and hasn’t grown very tall. If grass is in need of mowing, it is best to cut it before applying this fertilizer/weed killer. Likewise, if grass isn’t damp (like in the morning from dew or after it has rained) is it best to water it first. The granules will not be able to stick well to dry grass and the results will be less than satisfactory.

Using a spreader filled with the granules and thoroughly covering the lawn is all it takes to get the product working. Weeds will slowly die off and grass will be strengthened for the following Spring season. It is important to avoid watering the yard following treatment with this product and it should not be used if there is any chance for rain in the following 24 hour period. If it rain or other water comes in contact with the lawn, it will wash away the granules and lessen their effectiveness.

What Will This Product Control?:

Scott’s Turf Builder Winterguard Plus 2 kills aster, bitercress, black medic, bristly oxtongue, buckhorn, bull thistle, burclover, buttonweed, carpetweed, centella, chickweed, chicory, cinquefoil, clover, cudweed, curly dock, dichondra, dollar weed English daisy, evening primrose, filaree, fleabane, ground ivy, healall, henbit, horseweed, knotweed, lambsquarters, lippia, mallow, moneywort, morning glory, mustard, pennywort, pepperweed, pigweed, plantain, prickly lettuce, puncturevine, purselane, Florida pusley, ragweed, scarlet pimpernel, shadflower, shepherd’s purse, smartweed, snow thistle, stitchwort, thyme leaved sandwort, vetch, and yellow rocket.

Final Thoughts:

Scott’s Turf Builder Winterguard with Plus 2 Weed Control (formerly called Scott’s Winterizer with Plus 2 Weed Control- same product with a new name) is a very good product for end of year lawn treatment. I tend to procrastinate when it comes to lawn care and I am rarely proactive because that means spending more time performing outdoor work. I have very little free time the way it is but even if I had more free time, it is unlikely I would devote time to lawn care because I simply loathe this type of work.

So, why would someone with my attitude purchase Scott’s Turf Builder Winterguard Plus 2 Weed Control? The reason is simple: The product works! I was skeptical when I first heard about this product because it seemed like nothing more than a marketing gimmick to get people to buy and use more fertilizer than necessary. Why would I want to waste my time spreading weed killer and lawn fertilizer when the winter season is approaching, I wondered? It seemed like a waste of money. But then I read some commentary on this product and I decided it was worth a try. I had a gift card from Home Depot so I decided I would try Winterguard and see if it lived up to its claims.

What I noticed first was that this product effectively killed most of the weeds in my yard. Clover is my greatest problem and Scott’s Winterguard with plus 2 Weed Control had no problem destroying these small, three- leaved plants. These weeds were the first to go, followed by some of the larger weeds that seemed to take a little longer for the granules to attack and kill. But they did so in due time, leaving a green, weed- free landscape behind.

The other thing I noticed with this product is that my lawn was a little thicker than the year before. Not only were there fewer weeds, there was also heavier grass once the Spring season arrived. I have a few areas in my back yard where the grass is sparse and Scott’s Winterguard helped to fill in some, but not all, of the bare spaces. The grass even seemed to have a greener color than usual, thanks to the special nutrients that Scott’s added that the grass quickly absorbed.

Scott’s does recommend a few precautions before using this product. For starters, consumers should not use this product on certain plants like St. Augustine grass, creeping bentgrass, floratam, carpetgrass, dichondra, and lippia. And, of course, one has to be very careful when applying around flowers, shrubs, and other desirable plants because this product will damage or kill many of them if contact is made. This is a real problem for people like me who use a broadcast spreader. This type of spreader flings the granules in a circle several feet in diameter and because of this, there is a chance that some will come in contact with desirable plants. If this happens, all you can do is wipe off the granules as quickly as possible and hope for the best. To be safer, I recommend using a drop spreader (something I need to buy if I continue to use products like this one). A drop spreader tends to control the placement of the fertilizer/weed killer and thus helps to minimize errors.

One other common mistake that you need to avoid is applying this product before it rains. Most of us know that granular products like this cannot be used if rain is coming because the water will wash it away. But it is very easy to forget this fact and/or forget to check the local forecast. If there is any chance for rain, do not use this product! You will end up wasting a lot of time, money, and effort because the rain will flush most of it away and leave you with a lawn still polluted by weeds. It is best to take no chances and apply it only when you are nearly 100 percent certain that no rain is in the forecast.

Scott’s recommends using this product up to the point of the first ground freeze. Don’t worry if you have some light frost- this isn’t enough to signal the end of the season for Scott’s Winterguard. A simple frost doesn’t matter. As long as the weather warms up again then you can apply the product. Right now (mid October) is still a prime time for applying this product for most of the USA since only a few areas have experienced a ground freeze.

Overall, Scott’s Winterguard with Plus 2 Weed Control is a very good product that performs its task quite nicely, killing unwanted weeds and nourishing the grass. It isn’t an absolutely necessary product but it does come in handy. It makes for less work come Spring with a yard that will be cleaner and healthier in April than the year before.

Be Sure to Click the Links Below to Read More Reviews of Related Products:

Roundup Weed and Grass Killer
Scott’s Turf Builder Plus 2
Scott’s SpeedyGreen 2000
Spectrum Sta-Green Lawn Weed Control
Scott’s Turf Builder

Super Turf Builder Winterguard Fertilizer With Plus 2 Weed Control By The Scotts Co.

5M W+F Winter Fertilizer: Fertilizer Winterizer Weed Control Plus Two +2 Super
Lawn Pro Step2 Weed Control Plus Fertilizer By The Scotts Co.

Lawn Pro Step2 Weed Control Plus Fertilizer By The Scotts Co.

15M Stp 2 W&F Fertilizer: Lawn Weed Control Pro Fertilizer & Feed
Scotts 3005 Super Turf Builder With Plus 2 Weed Control And Water Smart

Scotts 3005 Super Turf Builder With Plus 2 Weed Control And Water Smart

Super Turf Builder Scotts Super Turf Builder with PLUS 2 Weed Control kills weeds completely as it feeds and strengthens. Its Water Smart formula impr...

(1) Scotts Step 4 5,000 Square Feet Winterizer Fall Lawn Food 32-0-12 - 23622

(1) Scotts Step 4 5,000 Square Feet Winterizer Fall Lawn Food 32-0-12 - 23622

This listings is for (1) ONE SCOTTS STEP 4 5,000 SQUARE FOOT BAG OF FALL WINTERIZER LAWN FOOD 32-0-12 ANALYSIS Model # 23622 Item #157628 You are purc...

Fortify Winterizer Plus Weed Control By Andersons

Fortify Winterizer Plus Weed Control By Andersons

5M Weed + Wnterizer: Lawn Winterizer Weed Control For Lawns
23622 Scotts Lawns 23622 5m Step 4 Winterizer

(2) Scotts Step 4 5,000 Square Feet Winterizer Fall Lawn Food 32-0-12 - 23622

(2) Scotts Step 4 5,000 Square Feet Winterizer Fall Lawn Food 32-0-12 - 23622

This listings is for (2)TWO SCOTTS STEP 4 5,000 SQUARE FOOT BAGS OF FALL WINTERIZER LAWN FOOD 32-0-12 ANALYSIS Model # 23622 Item #157628 You are purc...

(3) Scotts Step 4 5,000 Square Feet Winterizer Fall Lawn Food 32-0-12 - 23622

(3) Scotts Step 4 5,000 Square Feet Winterizer Fall Lawn Food 32-0-12 - 23622

This listings is for (3)THREE SCOTTS STEP 4 5,000 SQUARE FOOT BAGS OF FALL WINTERIZER LAWN FOOD 32-0-12 ANALYSIS Model # 23622 Item #157628 You are pu...

Weed-B-Gon Max Plus Crabgrass Control By The Scotts Co.

Weed-B-Gon Max Plus Crabgrass Control By The Scotts Co.

Rts Wbg Crabgrass Killer: Crabgrass Killer Herbicide Weed B Gon
Scotts Liquid Turf Builder Lawn Fertilizers With Plus 2 Weed Control Rts,

Scotts Liquid Turf Builder Lawn Fertilizers With Plus 2 Weed Control Rts,

Scotts Liquid Turf Builder Lawn Fertilizers with Plus 2 Weed Control RTS, 32-Ounce Item Description Ready to use. Controls over 80 different broadleaf...