Seagate Expansion 1 TB,External,7200 RPM (ST310005EXA101-RK) Hard Drive Reviews

Seagate Expansion 1 TB,External,7200 RPM (ST310005EXA101-RK) Hard Drive

3 consumer reviews
Average Product Rating: OK

The box says plug-n-play and they mean it.

Dec 21, 2009 (Updated Dec 22, 2009)

Pros:Non-intrusive, portable, lightweight, quick and energy saving.

Cons:Created a desktop icon, no power on/off button.

The Bottom Line: I recommend this highly because you have a great backup and it is quiet, fast and small.  It’ll run faster than your old PC.

I’m surprised at how quick and quiet this external hard drive works with my PC. I expected a big bulky, noisy hard drive that was going to take up a lot of space and it is the total opposite. It is very small, it doesn’t become hot and it can carry it in your tote. I’m upgrading my old computer and I needed this badly. I transferred 10 GB of my music albums and songs, photos, videos and documents and it took about 5-7 minutes. After I transferred the 10GB, my computer ran about 35% better.

You just drag and drop the files you want to transfer/backup into Seagate folder or as I did, I created subfolders and that’s it.  You can either keep your source files on your C: Drive or move them to the Seagate my new E: Drive.  I’m keeping my photos and music on the Seagate and accessing it from here because it is quicker.  I’m only carrying over or keeping the files I really need such as newly downloaded Amazon MP3’s, copies of my Moto Q videos and pics.  I’m also running my 30GB Creative Zen from this PC and I transferred over the songs to the Zen but I’ve kept the main program on the C: drive and it’s working fine and has even transferred my songs even quicker than before.

I created a desktop icon because when you plug it into your USB port its good to go and you only see Seagate in the My Computer folder. It is manufactured at 1TB but the installed program itself takes up 70MB, which leaves you 930GB for yourself to copy and backup whatever you need. You get just 4 icons in the Seagate folder, which are the Seagate internal folder, Autorun, Seagate Registration and Setup. My PC is running on Windows XP and it says its compatible with Windows Vista and Windows 7.

It waits for you to use it so it is always on low energy. It’s cute. It’s like a little heartbeat pulsing when it’s in sleep mode.

I bought this on Black Friday from Staples for 69.99 with free shipping. It came with a quick start guide, a USB 2.0 cable cord and a Power adapter. I like it and it comes with a 2-year warranty.

Get ample amount of storage for your computer with the Seagate ST310005EXA101-RK eternal hard drive. The USB connectivity of this Seagate external har...