Seagate Expansion 2 TB,External,7200 RPM (ST320005EXA101-RK) Hard Drive Reviews

Seagate Expansion 2 TB,External,7200 RPM (ST320005EXA101-RK) Hard Drive

Epinions Product Rating: OK

Clicking noise after only 5 weeks

Aug 23, 2010

Pros:Attractive body design, drive activity lamp on front, good price.

Cons:Quality control issues - drive shouldn't be used for anything critical.

The Bottom Line: Ordinarily, this would be a great drive for $130, but not this one.

I had thought that Seagate made pretty decent drives.  I have had several over my 20+ years of working with computers.  But this is the first Seagate external drive I can recall I've ever had, and if its quality problem is something others experience, Seagate needs to go back to the drawing board.

Like everyone else, I'm accumulating more digital data - music, video, everything.  I thought it would be nice to have a larger hard drive not only for those, but also to back up my laptop computer completely (it has a 500 GB hard drive).  At my local Micro Center they were running a special on a Seagate Expansion (that's in the name, capitalized) external USB 2.0 hard drive for $129.99 - a very good deal.

The first few weeks there were no problems.  The drive comes in a sleek, black plastic case with a slanted front and (thankfully) the LED drive activity lamp in the front (why do drive manufacturers put these lamps on the back with the plugs?).

But just this past weekend, as I was creating an especially large file, while I was on the phone with a friend, I heard an unfamiliar clicking noise coming from the area of my computer - it was the Seagate drive, clicking away.  A lilttle research online indicated it might be impending drive failure (really?).  As it failed outside the 30-day return policy set by Micro Center, I now have the consideration of dealing with Seagate's repair center.  (In its place, for the meantime, I got a Western Digital Elements 1.5 GB hard drive for $100 instead.  You'll see a review here if that, too, fails.)

I'm not sure whether the issue is that 2 TB drives are still relatively new and prone to failures.  And, of course, your mileage may vary.  But if you decide to get this particular Seagate external unit, keep that receipt.  You may need it.

Normally, it's my impression that Seagate makes good product.  Maybe I just got a drive made on a Friday. But with this experience, I'm going to be wary of Seagate for a while.

2 TB, USB 2.0, 5900 RPM Performance Plug n? play ? no software to install Simply drag-and-drop to save files Built-in power management ensures energy ...