Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 1 TB,External,5000 RPM (STAB1000500) Hard Drive Reviews

Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 1 TB,External,5000 RPM (STAB1000500) Hard Drive

Seagate 1TB Portable Hard Drive

Feb 3, 2012 (Updated Feb 4, 2012)

Pros:Plug and Play, Capacity, Ease of use

Cons:None

The Bottom Line: I believe the Seagate 1 TB Hard Drive would be an excellent choice for anyone interested in backing up a computer or simply having extra storage space.

I have a lot of information on my computer that I would like to keep. I also have an older computer and I wanted to keep the information from that old computer and be able to get to it on my new computer. That meant buying an external hard drive. Under recommendation from a fellow student, I choose the Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Ultra-Portable Hard Drive with USB 3.0 Plug and Play, 1 TB. Since my computer is USB 2.0, the USB 3.0 is backwards compatible with the 2.0. The price was $149. + shipping and tax from Newegg.com.

Seagate advertises this drive is the world’s most versatile hard drive, claiming the USB 3.0 is up to 10X faster. It advertises easy backup software with encryption and says you can share files between a PC and a MAC. The device comes with a quick start guide and a warranty. The quick start guide shows you, in three easy steps, how the hard drive connects to your computer via the USB cable. The software installer automatically launches and leads you through a quick set-up of the backup software, which you do not actually have to install. I backed up my files without the software and with it. Both ways works fine, but I tend to lean toward using the backup software.

The backup software is called Memeo. After clicking through the instructions, I had my computer backed up within minutes. It has a simplistic GUI that is easy to navigate and should be comfortable for anyone to use. The backup was fast. A fellow student, who also did a clean install with a 32-bit version of Windows XP on my old computer because the mouse driver was corrupted, backed up my old computer on this new hard drive without using Memeo. I can now get to the backup of my new computer and the files from my old computer. The device is portable, so I can take it wherever I might find the need to save files. It is so easy to use that you could call it a big flash drive.

The size of the drive is tremendous. I have information from two computers backed up onto it and it still shows 846 GB of free space. This one hard drive will probably last through numerous computers. And since it has the USB 3.0, it will probably be even more efficient with the next computer, which will probably come out with the USB 3.0. I keep it plugged into my USB port and it is noise free, even when I am backing up files. It is warm to the touch, never hot, and you can feel a slight vibration, but so slight that it is nearly unnoticeable.

I believe the Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Ultra-Portable Drive with USB 3.0 Plug and Play, 1 TB Hard Drive would be an excellent choice for anyone interested in backing up a computer or simply having extra storage space.

Lean & Mean 498 words

Seagate Freeagent Goflex 1 Tb,external Hard Drive Usb 2.0 Jg1

Seagate Freeagent Goflex 1 Tb,external Hard Drive Usb 2.0 Jg1

With a massive storage capacity, the FreeAgent GoFlex external hard drive lets you save large apps, movies, music, software, larger files, and loads m...

Seagate Freeagent Goflex Desk 1 Tb Usb 3.0/2.0 External Hard Drive Stac1000103

Seagate Freeagent Goflex Desk 1 Tb Usb 3.0/2.0 External Hard Drive Stac1000103

Compatible with both Windows and Mac computers, the Seagate GoFlex Desk Kit is an external, USB 3.0 hard drive. This Seagate external HDD has a 1 TB s...

SEAGATE 3TB Freeagent Goflex Desk USB 3.0 5900 Rpm 32mb 3.5in Hot Swap

SEAGATE 3TB Freeagent Goflex Desk USB 3.0 5900 Rpm 32mb 3.5in Hot Swap

SEAGATE 3TB Freeagent Goflex Desk USB 3.0 5900 Rpm 32mb 3.5in Hot Swappable External Hard Drive. New Bulk Pack.
ALLHDD

FreeAgent GoFlex 1 TB USB 3.0 Ultra-Portable External Hard Drive in Black STAA1000101

USB 3.0 plug-and-play drive Easy-to-use preloaded backup and encryption software Upgradable to FireWire 800 or eSATA Access content over the network a...
SEAGATE STAC3000102 3tb Usb - 3.0 External Storage

SEAGATE STAC3000102 3tb Usb - 3.0 External Storage

SEAGATE - 3TB FREEAGENT GOFLEX DESK USB 3.0 5900 RPM 32MB 3.5IN HOT SWAPPABLE - EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE (STAC3000102).
Server Supply