Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex TV Hard Drive Reviews

Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex TV Hard Drive

This Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex TV made my "dumb TV" smart!!

Jan 21, 2011 (Updated Feb 10, 2011)

Pros:Allows any TV to connect to Netflix, other services, as well as your home network!

Cons:WiFi dongle not included!

The Bottom Line: This is an easy to use home media unit. Not only can you see your home network, but Internet services as well!

You have heard about smart appliances, smart phones, and smart TV's! You may ask, what exactly what is a smart TV? A smart TV is one that can connect to the Internet, allowing you access to services such as Netflix, Pandora, Blockbuster Movies, and others. Many TV manufacturers call these Widgets.

I have an older SONY Bravia TV and I guess it is pretty stupid since it can't connect to anything but cable!

Do I just toss the SONY and buy a "Smart TV"? No, as I did not win the lottery. The next best option is to purchase a Seagate GoFlex TV HD media player!

This unit is made by Seagate, best known for high quality and versatile hard drives.

My personal test of any unit is to attempt hooking it up without reading the instruction manual. So here are the steps I took.

First I removed the unit which is black and small, about 4”x4”. The front of the GoFlex has an LED showing if the power to the unit is on or off. Orange off, white, on. There is a USB connection on the right side and one on the back. In my case, I used the right side to plug in the optional, wireless, WiFi Seagate dongle.
 The rear of the unit has a connector to plug in the power supply, a plug for a component video cable, a plug for composite audio/video out, an Ethernet/LAN port, and an optical audio out connector!

The box includes these cables, which connect to SONY mini-plugs on the back of the unit, as I mentioned above. By the way, there is also an HDMI connector on the GoFlex TV HD media player as well.

Since my old, dumb Bravia TV only has one HDMI input, I used the mini plug adapters to Component Video and analog L/R audio. There is a wireless remote control included so you don’t have to move from your comfy chair.

First you turn on the unit so the LED glows white. Once it is turned on, you go to the home screen or menu and set up your Internet connection. In my case I connected to wireless. You do have a choice to connect via Ethernet cable. I had a little bit of trouble connecting to my wireless router, so I called Tech Support at Seagate and talked to a guy named Jeffrey. He was really nice and patient. We had to attempt the connection three times, and finally it saw my home router.

Following the successful home network connection, we attempted a connection to the Netflix server. No luck! It was a good thing I had tech support on the phone, because no where does it tell you that it may not sync up with Netflix unless you update your firmware, which I did. Voila, update firmware, connect to Netflix successfully! I selected AUTOMATIC FIRMWARE UPDATES so it will do its thing automatically!

So now, all I do is change the input from Video 6 to Video 4 on my TV and there is Netflix!

Watching Netflix and utilizing other Net Based services is only part of what this GoFlex TV does. To quote Seagate:

“The FreeAgent GoFlex HD media player offers the easiest way to play movies, photos and music on your TV, allowing you to share and enjoy your digital media in a comfortable social environment…”

“As part of the GoFlex Storage System, the GoFlex TV HD media player can play content from GoFlex ultra portable drives by simply sliding the drive into the integrated bay or any USB storage device by connecting to one of the two USB ports. You then have access to your complete media library with full 1080P high-definition playback and surround sound audio support.”

There you have it. So not only can you have Netflix on your TV, but your pics, music etc. The GoFlex TV is a dock for the ultra portable drive or a USB connection, making it extremely versatile. It also has the ability to connect to your router to access shared media on your home network.

For those folks who can’t live without all the nitty gritty specs, here they are:

FreeAgent® GoFlex™ TV HD Media Player

HDMI 1.3; Composite; Component

Audio Connections

HDMI 1.3; Stereo; Optical S/PDIF

Video Formats

MKV; AVI; DivX Plus™ HD; RMVB Real Media; WMV9; VC-1; MPEG-4 (Xvid); FLV; MPEG-2 (VOB/ISO); Xvid HD; MPEG-1; AVC HD; TS/TP/M2T; M2TS; H.264; MOV

Media Player Only

JPEG files (up to 20 megapixels); MJPEG; BMP; TIFF; PNG; GIF

Supported File Systems

HFS ; NTFS; FAT32; FAT

Internet Sites Supported

Netflix; YouTube; Mediafly; vTuner; Picasa; Flickr; Video Feeds (RSS); Text Feeds (RSS); Weather Widget; Finance Widget

Network Connection

Wi-Fi Adapter (Optional); Ethernet

Ports

2 USB

TV Systems

NTSC; PAL

Plays all of your favorite file formats

•   Video: MPEG–1, MPEG–2 (VOB/ISO), MPEG–4 (Xvid), DivX Plus™ HD, Xvid HD, AVI, MOV, MKV, RMVB Real Media, AVC HD, H.264, WMV9, VC–1, M2TS, TS/TP/M2T

Video Resolutions: NTSC 480i/480p, PAL 576i/576p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p

Subtitles: SAMI (smi), SRT, SUB

Audio: AAC, MP3, Dolby® Digital, DTS, ASF, FLAC, WMA, WMA Pro, LPCM, ADPCM, WAV, OGG

Playlist: M3U, PLS

Photo: JPEG files (up to 20 megapixels), MJPEG, BMP, GIF, PNG, TIFF

Get connected in seconds

Connecting your drive, network or other devices to your digital media player is fast and easy, with output options that are optimized for your movies, music and photos.

•   Input Connections

GoFlex ultra–portable drive slot: Insert your GoFlex or GoFlex Pro ultra–portable drive directly into your GoFlex TV HD media player

USB 2.0 Ports: Simply plug in your digital camera, digital camcorder, USB flash drive or external USB hard drive

Network: Ethernet connectivity enables access of shared folders on computers and other devices connected to your network such as a GoFlex Net media sharing device, media server or a NAS

Wireless: Optional Wi–Fi Adapter (sold separately)

•   Output Formats

Video: HDMI, Composite, Component

Audio: HDMI, Stereo, Optical S/PDIF

Well enough of the specs. They tell you just so much, but it is real world experience that tells you how good a product is, and how it performs for you. This unit plays well with my MAC and works just as easily with a PC, with included DVD software. I am thrilled I can now get Netflix on my TV as well as access files from my MAC. Using this GoFlex TV HD media player makes life just a little more fun and a lot easier!
===========================================UPDATE-UPDATE:
Today is February 10th, and I am pleased to inform you that Seagate just released a free IPhone App to control the player from your phone! All you do is download the free app from the App Store, fill in the IP address of the player, (which comes off the player menu itself), and there you have a duplicate screen on your IPhone of the remote!
The only negative is that to turn on the player, you have to use the player remote control. The power button on the app will not power up the player. App is listed in App Store as Seagate Technology! So many companies are charging for their apps, it is nice to see Seagate giving you the app at no charge! Way to go Seagate!!

FreeAgent GoFlex 1 TB USB 3.0 Ultra-Portable External Hard Drive in Black STAA1000101

USB 3.0 plug-and-play drive Easy-to-use preloaded backup and encryption software Upgradable to FireWire 800 or eSATA Access content over the network a...
Seagate Freeagent Goflex 3 Tb,external,5400 Rpm (stam3000100) Hard Drive. -nib

Seagate Freeagent Goflex 3 Tb,external,5400 Rpm (stam3000100) Hard Drive. -nib

Smart and stylish, the Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Home is a network storage system with a memory capacity of 3 TB and can be connected to your Wi-Fi rou...

FreeAgent GoFlex 500 GB USB 3.0 Ultra-Portable External Hard Drive STAA500105 (Black)

AC Adapter for Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex STAC2000102 2 TB Hard Drive Power Supply

Seagate Freeagent Goflex Desk 1 Tb Usb 3.0/2.0 External Hard Drive Stac1000103

Seagate Freeagent Goflex Desk 1 Tb Usb 3.0/2.0 External Hard Drive Stac1000103

Compatible with both Windows and Mac computers, the Seagate GoFlex Desk Kit is an external, USB 3.0 hard drive. This Seagate external HDD has a 1 TB s...

SEAGATE 3TB Freeagent Goflex Desk USB 3.0 5900 Rpm 32mb 3.5in Hot Swap

SEAGATE 3TB Freeagent Goflex Desk USB 3.0 5900 Rpm 32mb 3.5in Hot Swap

SEAGATE 3TB Freeagent Goflex Desk USB 3.0 5900 Rpm 32mb 3.5in Hot Swappable External Hard Drive. New Bulk Pack.
ALLHDD

Seagate STAC1000100 FreeAgent GoFlex Desk 3.5 1 TB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive - Black

The GoFlex Desk external drive delivers high-capacity storage, backup and encryption for all your files with its plug-and-play USB 2.0 connectivity. Y...

Seagate Freeagent Goflex Desk Desktop Adapter Usb 3.0 Hard Drive Cradle Stae106

Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Desk Desktop Adapter USB 3.0 Hard Drive Cradle STAE106 Digitalet is PayPal Verified Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Desk Desktop Ada...

Seagate Freeagent Goflex Desk Desktop Adapter Usb 3.0 Hard Drive Cradle Stae106

Brand NEW Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Desk Desktop Adapter USB 3.0 Hard Drive Cradle Model # STAE106 Description:The GoFlex Desk desktop adapter - USB 3....

FreeAgent GoFlex Home 1TB STAM1000100

FreeAgent GoFlex Home 1TB STAM1000100

Connects to your WiFi router, enabling convenient, wireless access to all your files from any PC or Mac computer in the home Automatically and continu...