-25%

Free Shipping Sweetwater
Free Shipping AmericanMusical.com

Seagull Entourage Rustic S6--A Nice Variation On The Seagull S6

Mar 29, 2007

Pros:Compares favorably to the Seagull S6, striking appearance

Cons:None

The Bottom Line: The Seagull Entourage Rustic S6 is almost identical to the Seagull S6, except for the finish. As with any Seagull guitar, you get a lotta bang for your buck.

The Seagull Entourage Rustic S6 is part of a new line of acoustic guitars offered by Seagull which features slight variations on some of the company's flagship models. Any acoustic guitar player worth his salt knows that the venerable Seagull S6, which has been in production for many years, offers one of the best values area of acoustic guitars, balancing sound, playability and quality construction with an eminently affordable price. The Seagull Entourage Rustic S6 nicely follows that tradition, and compares almost identically with the S6, with the exception of a cosmetic variation.

The Seagull Entourage Rustic S6 has a select pressure treated solid cedar top and wild cherry back and sides. The silver leaf maple neck has a rosewood fingerboard that sports simple dot inlays, and the top has an antiquish looking double cream binding. The headstock is adorned with die cast aluminum tuners, and the guitar comes with a rustic burst custom polished finish, which I believe to be the only major difference between this guitar and the Seagull S6.

The Seagull Entourage Rustic S6 is a very unusual looking guitar--the rustic burst finish is eyecatching, to say the least, and it accentuates the lovely grain and figuring of the cedar top. The Seagull S6 came in a natural finish, as I recall, and had a rather ordinary look, but the Seagull Entourage Rustic S6 presents a rather striking look, almost guaranteed to draw a lot of attention when it's hanging on the wall of your local music store. As we all know, looks aren't everything, so I guess you would like to know how this guitar delivers in all other departments, huh?

As far as playability, the Seagull Entourage Rustic S6 has that typical solid Seagull action. While this guitar is touted as having a slim profile neck, which is actually my neck of choice because of my small hands, it felt just a tad wide to me. That being said, the neck still felt good in my hands, and the action was quick up and down the neck. Fingerpicking was easily accomplished, mainly because the factory set up was well nigh perfect, and I detected no intonation problems. The guitar was neither too light nor too heavy--I played it sitting down and my comfort level was high. The Seagull Entourage Rustic S6 had a nice feeling of heft without feeling awkward or lunky, and this added to the sense of substance that I like so much when I'm handling or playing an acoustic guitar. Playability of this one rates right up there with the Seagull S6.

How did it sound, you ask? Well, the combination of wild cherry and cedar sound a lot like the combination of rosewood and cedar--the sound of the Seagull Entourage Rustic S6 is nicely balanced, blending bass and treble tones really well, and I detected no real bias or conflict in either tonal range. Just like its sister, the S6, the Seagull Entourage Rustic S6 surprised me with its loudness and projection. You'd never guess by looking at this guitar that it had such a powerful voice, but this one would be suitable for playing as a lead instrument in an acoustic ensemble, and if you lightened up on it a bit, it would function as a smooth, balanced rhythm instrument as well. Seagull guitars have always surprised me with their refined sound, in spite of the fact that they are relatively inexpensive instruments, and the Seagull Entourage Rustic S6 is certainly no exception.

I give the Seagull Entourage Rustic S6 a very high recommendation--it is probably one of the best guitars in its class, and compares almost identically with its sister, the Seagull S6. The look of the guitar is striking, and it delivers in the sound and playability departments as well.

Thanks for reading.

Enjoy the traditional look and feel of the Seagull Entourage Rustic Dreadnought Acoustic Guitar . This guitar is an incredible value for any players w...
AmericanMusical.com
The Seagull Entourage guitars offer an exceptional value for players of all levels. These finely crafted Canadian made instruments feature select pres...
zZounds.com

Acoustic Guitars - Seagull's Entourage Rustic acoustic guitar offers smooth playability and great tone at an exceptional value. The pressure tested so...
Sweetwater