Sealy Posturepedic Mattress

Epinions Product Rating: OK

Step Right Up Folks and Get Your Sealy Posturpedic Mattress

Jan 11, 2002 (Updated Aug 28, 2005)

Pros:Sealy name brand quality - Comfortable

Cons:Trouble fitting regular king sized sheets on pillowtop.

The Bottom Line: Once you can get past the shell game played by manufacturers and salesmen, you can enjoy this or any Sealy Posturpedic mattress.

Following my son's move to his apartment at Michigan State we purchased a new Sealy Posturpedic mattress to replace his set. Of course, anyone who has purchased a mattress in the past, is well aware of the shell game played by both the manufacturers and retailers who carry mattresses for sale. "Step right up folks, find the penny under one of the shells. Which is it sir? Oh, sorry, would you care to try again?"

Before writing this review I thought it would be helpful to "shop" today's models in aiding readers to locate the closest model to that which I am reviewing. I tried (I really did) to come up with the equivalent 2002 model to the best of my ability. I would suggest the closest model was the Calhoun which was being sold as a set for $777.00 on sale. Chances are you will never locate either of these mattresses for sale as named. At any rate, a comparable model would be the Sealy Posturpedic (fill-in-the-blank) Pillowtop - Ultra Plush, so much for winning the shell game. No Kewpie doll for me.

The mattress we purchased was listed as the Sealy Posturpedic Perennial Pillowtop Ultra Plush in a king size. Sealy offers their customers several features in this line of mattresses.

StayTrue Fiberlux and SealyFoam - The Fiberlux is a pre-compressed fiber which helps resist the problem of body impressions left on their mattresses. SealyFoam is a higher density polyurethane foam which is 10% more durable and conforms to your body comfortably. They also claim that is not necessary to rotate your mattress as most manufacturers do.

PostureTech Coils - Senses weight and apportions support to the proper areas of your body. As you lay on this mattress you don't feel any noticeable sagging nor is the mattress overly firm. On a personal level, when I have used this mattress I have felt no pressure at any point along my spine.

EdgeGuard - A firm foam insert made of polyethylene to support the outer edges of the mattress from compressing from body weight. This is a nice feature that allows you to sleep to the outer edges of the mattress without the feeling you are going to roll out of bed. It generally gives you a larger sleeping surface than the cheaper choices you may see on the market today.

Foundation support - The set's foundation is constructed with steel support beams which Sealy claims are more durable than wood.

If purchased as a foundation/mattress set you are entitled to a 10 year guarantee with every Sealy Posturpedic mattress. Since this was to be used in a guest bedroom or for my son when he is home and therefore not used on a day to day basis, we were able to save a great deal by using two twin sized foundations we already owned. Instead of purchasing a foundation along with the mattress we simply used two twin foundations. While there is some savings, be aware doing this will most likely void the guarantee.

Once we got the bed set up, my wife and I stretched a regular king-sized set of sheets over this mattress. While we did get them on with the help of some clips designed for the job, I would highly recommend purchasing the over-sized sheets now available for these pillowtop type mattresses.

After four or five years of use, I figured it was time to update readers on our experience to date. This mattress has seen increased use by houseguests that have had the need for extended stays. Despite the fact this mattress is in our guest bedroom, I would say it has seen the equivalent of a minimum year and a half regular use. I have found the mattress is as solid as the day it was purchased. Unlike our Sealy Posturpedic Crown Jewel Mattress, I have yet to see the noticeable indentions we are experiencing upstairs.

This Sealy Posturpedic still offers us and our guests a comfortable and good night's sleep. After more than four years, I still have to give this mattress a solid recommendation.

Sealy Posturepedic Hybrid Majesty Ultra Plush Mattress

Sealy Posturepedic Hybrid Majesty Ultra Plush Mattress

The Sealy Majesty Ultra Plush mattress is part of the Sealy Posturepedic Hybrid Series; a half foam/half springs design that combines the two best sle...
Sealy Posturepedic Mattress Pad Twin Size

Sealy Posturepedic Mattress Pad Twin Size

SEALY POSTUREPEDIC FULL SIZE MATTRESS PAD. DRY MAX WATERPROOF FITS MATTRESSES UP TO 16 THICK. PLEASE VIEW PHOTOS FOR MORE DETAILS. 100% COTTON TOP

Sealy Posturepedic 3 King Mattress Topper

Sealy Posturepedic 3 King Mattress Topper

Supreme sleeping softness. This luxurious Sealy Posturepedic mattress topper pairs high-density memory foam with a pillow top to give you a perfectly ...
QVC

Full Sealy Posturepedic Hybrid Series Ability Firm Mattress Set

Full Sealy Posturepedic Hybrid Series Ability Firm Mattress Set

The Sealy Posturepedic Hybrid Series combines top quality gel memory foam with the support of an individually wrapped titanium alloy coil system. The ...
US - Mattress

Sealy Posturepedic Summer Shower King Mattress

Sealy Posturepedic Summer Shower King Mattress

Those who prefer a firm mattress will be pleasantly surprised by the comfort enhancing technology utilized in the Sealy Summer Shower mattress set.
Rooms To Go

Sealy Posturepedic Silver Sails Full Mattress

Sealy Posturepedic Silver Sails Full Mattress

Look no further for the firm support tired bodies need than the Sealy Silver Sails mattress set.
Rooms To Go Kids

Sealy Posturepedic Allergy Mattress Protector King Size Microfiber Protection

Sealy Posturepedic Allergy Mattress Protector King Size Microfiber Protection

(#54) Mattress Protector king size Microfiber Sealy Posturepedic Allergy Protection Mattress Protector king size Microfiber Sealy Posturepedic Allergy...

Sealy Posturepedic Maximum Protection Zippered Mattress Encasement 761

Sealy Posturepedic Maximum Protection Zippered Mattress Encasement 761

Sealy 761 The Sealy Posturepedic Maximum Protection Mattress Encasement is for those seeking total protection for their mattress. Made with luxurious...
Wayfair

Sealy Posturepedic Anaheim Ti, Cushion Firm, Full Extra Long Mattress Only White

Sealy Posturepedic Classic Series Whatever you do in bed, Sealy supports it . For more than 130 years Sealy has built its heritage on support. In fact...

Sealy Posturepedic Focus Cushion-Firm Hybrid Mattress, White

Sealy Posturepedic Focus Cushion-Firm Hybrid Mattress, White

Combining the cooling comfort of gel memory foam with the support of springs, this luxurious hybrid mattress gives you the restful sleep you deserve. ...
JCPenney