Sears DieHard Portable Power 750 with 12 Volt Outlet and Light 71486 Reviews

Sears DieHard Portable Power 750 with 12 Volt Outlet and Light 71486

ratings (1 Epinions review)

LiveEasy with your DieHard Battery Jump Starter

Mar 26, 2009 (Updated Mar 26, 2009)

Pros:Easy to use.

Cons:Don't rely on the LEDs display.

The Bottom Line:

This product has a few household uses.

I've been having problems with my car for a couple of years.........That is I keep on leaving one door open and it's been draining my battery dead.

My car stays in the garage and when that happens, the car has to be pushed out of the garage. Well it must have happened about 4 times.  The first time I thought I had a weak battery so my son came over to jump start my car then had my battery tested.  The second time there was no one available to help me so I called and used my Road Service which I had decided a month earlier to add with my Auto insurance since my car is old but in excellent condition.  I was reimbursed but still had to wait for them to come, write them a check and get reimbursed for the cost.  The 4th time my neighbor wanted to help me but he didn't have jumper cables.   He suggested I look into purchasing a portable charger so I immediately asked my son-in-law to take me to Sears and check them out.  I did call a few other Auto stores for information but Sears had it available.

When I went to Sears, I didn't ask too many questions and my son-in-law was kind enough to help me out but he had to go to work so we went and without reading anything just started my car.  They had a few different models but the salesperson suggested this model 71486 for my needs.  The cost was $49.99 plus tax but that was last November 2008.  The car started right up and I put the charger away.

A few days ago (March 2009) I left the door open AGAIN!  I was not so upset because I had my charger to help me.  Ah!  I didn't need any ones help this time.  WRONG!  With my daughter's help, we connected the clamps as explained in the Owner's Manual but the car did not start even though the display showed it was fully charged.

I decided to take it back to Sears thinking I might have a defective charger.  That is when the salesman fully explained how this is used.  He was reluctant in exchanging it but I figured it would be best to start with a fresh one while I was there.  I have never in all years I've been driving had to worry about battery problems since I've always had a male (family or neighbor) who was always glad to help me with it since they had experience using jumper cables.

About this Portable Power 750 -
This is a DieHard brand marketed by Sears.  Other stores may carry different brands.  The 750 stands for Peak Amps.  It is a 12 Volt DC Power Outlet.  It has a built-in-light to illuminate work areas.  Hook-Up Safeguard which sounds alarm if clamps are improperly connected to the battery.  Internal Battery Status LEDs- green, 100%, yellow 75%, red 50% plus charging indicator.  The charger is built-in and does not overcharge.  You need an extension cord to charge it.   It has 8-gauge, 18-Inch cables with Spark Resistant Clamps that will fit both top and side-post batteries.

CONTAINS SEALED NON-SPILLABLE LEAD-ACID BATTERY.  MUST BE DISPOSED OF PROPERLY.  Warning for hazards on package.  This product comes with a 1 year full warranty.  The charger weighs about 15 pounds.  It is 9" high and wide with 6" depth.  The charger plug is on the left side.  The 2 cables wrap from front to back neatly and clip on the back so they don't move around.

The front of this has the functions.  On top left the power source knob, bottom right the light display and battery display status and on the bottom right the LEDs for the the battery status display of 4 bars which are; 1)Charging (red), 2 & 3) Recharging and 4) Full (green).  On the right side is the 12V power outlet.

On the packaging, it states this is a great portable source for electrical appliances with estimated wattages and run time.  I purchased mine for the sole purpose of a battery charger.  The light is ok but works just as well a a good quality flashlight.

How does it work?
To jump start a car attach the red clamp to (+) RED positive on the car battery, black clamp to any UNPAINTED metal on car, turn on POWER on jump starter then crank the engine.  Must be done in that order.

On the handle there is a 2" RED label that states IMPORTANT Charge immediately after purchase (for 36 hours) May cause permanent damage & void the warranty if not charged.  Keep charged when not in use in English and Spanish.  I failed to read this.  The salesman told me to charge it for 24 hours.  The LED did not display that is was recharging nor that it was charging while I plugged it in before using the 2nd one I purchased.  It displayed the FULL charged only.  I find that to be a little confusing.  I found that this statement for "Charge Immediately Upon Purchase" to be on the box, in the manual and also on the handle after carefully studying and learning more about the proper use of this product.

Another error I made was that when first connecting the cables to the car, I should wait at least 2 minutes before cranking the engine.  When I followed the instructions properly, I did noticed the hood light on the car first light up and knew the charger was working.

The charger should be recharged before using, after use and every 2 to 3 months in order for it to be fully charged and ready to use regardless what the LEDs display.

Summary -
I hope this review will help someone learn how to properly use this product so it works each time at peak performance when needed and avoid the mistake I made.

This product has 3 uses; DC power source, a light and auto jump starter.  I purchased it basically for the car and hope to lend it out to my family if they should ever need it.  I don't have jumper cables and never thought about needing them but with proper use and now that I read every word on the box and the manual I know this will come in handy.  It was worth it's price.  On the box it shows it being used to power a TV children are watching in the rear of their car while traveling.  I guess the light may come in handy but I would not want to lug 15 pounds around the house to use the light.

If you should purchase this product, don't neglect the charging part.  This will take a day initially but for the future, it will be ready to use.

I rated this product 4 stars since I could not rely just on the LEDs display.

This makes a nice gift for someone but it costs slightly more than regular jumper cables.  The best part you don't need another car to get your car started.

................

My thanks to scmrak for directing me to the right category and gamblin_man for adding this product to the database for me.

DieHard DH 4D DH BATTERIES

DieHard DH 4D DH BATTERIES

DieHard - Battery 4 x D alkaline

Craftsman 20 Volt Max Lithium-ion Diehard Battery

Craftsman 20 Volt Max Lithium-ion Diehard Battery

HERE YOU GET A NEW 20 VOLT V MAX CRAFTSMAN DIE HARD BATTERY.IN A SEALED PACKAGE.ANY QUETIONS PLEASE EMAIL.

Craftsman 19.2v Diehard Cordless Reciprocating Saw 19.2 Volt C3 (bare Tool Only

Craftsman 19.2v Diehard Cordless Reciprocating Saw 19.2 Volt C3 (bare Tool Only

The Lotoons Store NEW Craftsman 19.2V DieHard Cordless Reciprocating Saw 19.2 Volt C3 (Bare Tool ONLY Battery and Charger are NOT included) 1. NO SALE...

1175585 - Sears OEM Upgraded Replacement Condenser Fan Motor 1/12 HP 208-230 Volts

DieHard 24 pack AA size Alkaline battery

DieHard 24 pack AA size Alkaline battery

DieHard - Battery 24 x AA alkaline

Sears Craftsman Multimeter 8 Function 82141 Gift Electrical Volt Test Meter

Sears Craftsman Multimeter 8 Function 82141 Gift Electrical Volt Test Meter

KC18DHL 18-Volt Lithium-Ion 2-Tool Combo Kit Here is a NEW Craftsman Sears 8 Function Multimeter, Model 82141 Complete owner's manual here: PDF Manual...

Craftsman Professional 12.0 Volt Diehard Lithium-ion Compact Battery Pack

Craftsman DieHard 41A5948 Battery (Replacement)

Craftsman DieHard 41A5948 Battery (Replacement)

The Craftsman DieHard 41A5948 replacement battery is fully compatible wit the original 41A5948 battery. This SLA battery features the same specificati...