Select Comfort Mattress Sleep Number 5000 Reviews

Select Comfort Mattress Sleep Number 5000

Epinions Product Rating: OK

THE SLEEP NUMBER BED: WON'T LAST, FALLS APART EASILY, VERY EXPENSIVE TO REPLACE/RETURN

Feb 4, 2007

Pros:+QVC HAS HUGE DISCOUNTS +Dual controls +Can be returned for $$Back not Credit

Cons:-Fell apart almost instantly -Requires Costly Replacements -MOLD problem in long-term

The Bottom Line: An over-priced bad idea. My instincts said Don't fall for it, but I thought 'what have you got to lose?' The answer: $400 and 3 weeks sleep.

PREPARE YOURSELF FOR THE ENTIRE STORY ABOUT THIS BED:

After doing A TON of research on this bed, from multiple different stores/outlets and finally purchasing, testing and RETURNING this mattress set, I have now set aside the time to make sure no one makes the same MISTAKE that I did, and if they do decide to waste time and money on a sleep number bed, then at least they'll have ALL the facts- which unfortunately I did not.

I'll start with the research I did into PURCHASING the bed:
-There are multiple outlets to test and purchase a sleep number bed: Online, through the 800#, on QVC (special models), at HEALTHY BACK stores (exclusive models), or at SLEEPY'S or SELECT COMFORT stores- though the last two ways are INCREDIBLY EXPENSIVE comparatively, because the customer has to pay the salesperson's STEEP COMMISSION.

If you purchase through the 800#, online, or in an actual Mall store (don't waste your $$!!) you get the exact same model 5000 bed set. However, A Sleepy's or a HEALTHY BACK store will have better financing and often free delivery, I found that SELECT COMFORT stores DON'T.
If you buy the bed through QVC or at HEALTHY BACK, there are special models of the SLEEP NUMBER BED. QVC has models that are priced for VALUE, and are often in the $800-$1200 range. QVC does an EXCELLENT job of explaining the bed and it's care/benefits in their TV program- I recommend viewing it PRIOR to ANY purchase.
Healthy back stores carry an ENTIRE range of models, each comparable to the model 3000, 4000, 5000, 7000, or 9000 BUT PRICED MUCH MUCH LESS EXPENSIVE than in a select comfort retail store. Even though the stores arent focused just on selling beds, you will find you'll get a MUCH BETTER DEAL there, or on QVC.

Once you have decided which Model/Price Best fits your needs, the customer has to decide whether or not to PAY for HOME DELIVERY. THAT'S RIGHT, select comfort makes their customers pay ON TOP of a $1000 to $4000 bed an extra $150, with absolutely NO NEGOTIATION or exceptions. I think this is ridiculous, especially since it seems like only the MALL STORES and direct 800# charge this extra fee (possible just an extra way for the greedy salespeople to get more money- rust coat, anyone?)
If you buy from QVC or Healthy back you don't have to pay this fee, so I recommend NOT PAYING it and just putting the bed together yourself. THAT'S RIGHT- you have to ASSEMBLE THIS BED like a complicated model set. You will need a RUBBER MALLET or HAMMER to actually POUND the PLASTIC FOUNDATION pieces into place. Wait until you see what this bed is made of- IT'S A JOKE! It's basically a couple pieces of foam and a rubber camping mattress bladder. I can't believe the HUGE PROFIT MARGIN this company must make, because there is VERY LITTLE DIFFERENCE between the basic construction of ANY of their models- the 3000 to the 9000. Yet the price range is $1000-$5000. AND the company RAISED THEIR PRICES on the first of the year. This was in ADDITION to RAISING THE PRICES mid-last year after a reported "foam-shortage". Hmmmm- sounds like just another way to GOUGE EXTRA MONEY to me.

Once you receive the PIECES of the bed, assembly will take some time, so be prepared and have your hammer ready. The boxes weigh between 40 and 60 pounds each, I had 5 of them but you may have more or less depending on if its a queen or king. The instructions are fairly easy to read, and you really cant believe how much money you'll pay to get SO LITTLE BED in return.
-4 pieces of hard foam go all around the edges. From reading reviews, this foam will either turn green with mold (starts grey) or get a big dent in it wherever you sit on it. This foam is basically the ONLY SUPPORT for the whole bed. When you set the bed to your sleep number, it creates big HOLES and GAPS in the middle of the bed, but these side walls stay up and firm. For most people this is an UNCOMFORTABLE SINKING SENSATION. It also makes it VERY HARD to get out of the bed. Impossible for people with back pain. Looking at the bed when it is set makes it appear lumpy and VERY UNATTRACTIVE, almost BROKEN DOWN. My bed actually DID break down on one side, but I'll get to that later. If a person heavier than 200 pounds sits on these foam border walls for too long, they will curve, bow and break down. This will also cause the air chambers to slide out of place and create uncomfortable rolling sensations. This bed FALLS APART EASILY.
-2 air bladders (with a NASTY RUBBER SMELL) sit in between the foam and then
-1 wavy center foam piece sits in between them. When the air chambers are set to a sleep number that is different, the foam in the center feels VERY HARD and uncomfortable. It makes the person at the lower number ROLL to the outside of the bed, which makes the bed feel like there's a mountain in the middle. I read many reviews on this site that list the CENTER FOAM as the MAJOR COMPLAINT. It seems like this is a stupid and unnecessary piece of the bed, an DEFEATS THE PURPOSE of the air and sleep numbers.
-1 sheet of egg-crate foam that zips into the cover of this bed. From what I can tell, this is the ONLY PIECE that differs from model to model of the sleep number bed (except for a few bells and whistles on the remote/pump). I can't believe this is what ALL the fuss is about- can't I buy the exact same thing from WALLMART, or better- TEMPURPEDIC? Aside from smelling worse than the air chamber, this foam pad constantly bunched and shifted underneath the covers, and I am glad I didn't have it long enough for it to turn GREEN WITH MOLD like many of the other reviewers on this site.
-An outer cover zips the whole thing together. Can you believe I BROKE THE *%#! ZIPPER when I was unzipping the bed to return it!! That alone cost me and extra $200! The contents on the inside had shifted so much to one side that when I tried to pull the zipper free the whole thing came off of the track and broke! That only reinforced my decision to return this CHEAPLY MADE BED.
-A pump plugs into a 110 volt outlet and then into each air chamber. I read a review that said its BAD to have AN ELECTRICAL CURRENT running through your bed and that it MAY CAUSE CANCER? I'm not sure if this is true- has anyone heard that? If that's the case, that is really scary- but the more I think about it, it can't be good to have something electric plugged in and constantly running and adjusting all night. It makes me shudder to think about it.
-Either one wireless or two wired remotes control the bed, it's your choice/same price. These remotes are VERY CHEAPLY MADE, in fact the one I tried in the store made a RATTLING NOISE when shaken and the LCD DISPLAY wasn't working in some spots. I opted for the wireless remote, which runs off of a D battery and came with a warning that it may be interfered with by other remotes or wireless devices. Great! Whichever remote you get, make sure you dont drop them because they BREAK VERY EASILY and cost between $200-$400 to replace! (you have to replace the WHOLE PUMP)

That's it for the bed facts, now I will LIST my ACTUAL EXPERIENCES with this NIGHTMARE-BED (lol!!)

-After heaving the 5 heavy boxes into my bedroom and trying to get all the pieces laid out, I was bombarded by a NASTY FOAM/RUBBER SMELL when I opened the boxes. Already short of breath I had to open the windows and assemble the bed in the FREEZING COLD. Not happy.

-The foam pieces in the boxes are FOLDED UP and I instantly noticed they were CREASED. This can't be good for the longevity of the foam support walls, I mean when you look at this hokey product all laid out you KNOW it won't last 5 years, let alone 20!! You have to unroll and unfold all the foam and the instructions tell you to let them sit and gain their natural shape for a few hours. Perfect.

-Trying to force the PLASTIC FOUNDATION into place is like pulling teeth. The puzzle-like pieces assemble by FORCING a triangle-shaped peg into a slot, but none of the slots are cut precisely. Result: you have to POUND the pegs with a RUBBER MALLET. his is backbreaking, unexpected work right before you want to go to bed. I STRONGLY SUGGEST that you SAVE $500 by NOT BUYING THIS FOUNDATION. It is a total piece of junk- just plastic. Check it out in the store. A box spring with a piece of plywood on top will do the EXACT SAME THING and last longer. I have read on this site that other peoples PLASTIC FOUNDATIONS BEGIN TO CREAK AND SQUEAK after only a few years worth of use.

-Even though our pump was supposed to be "whisper-quiet" it still made an audible humming sound, THAT WOULD CLICK ON AND OFF CONSTANTLY during the night. It didnt sound like that in the store. It was a VERY LOUD and MECHANICAL SOUND and made me very uneasy on the bed in the middle of the night.

-I would set the bed to one number, and when I woke up it would be 15-25 numbers different. I have noticed that almost EVERY SINGLE OTHER REVIEWER has the SAME PROBLEM. I called the customer service and they said that it WAS NORMAL!!! I don't think it's normal for my back and shoulders/neck to hurt in the morning when I have NEVER HAD PAIN BEFORE. After waking up at 4 am and constantly tossing and turning in this bed for a week straight, I noticed that the remote was down to 15!! My number was 45! I set it again, next night SAME THING. And so on and so on. Sometimes it would be all the way down to 5, I felt like I was in a water bed and I had to eventually move myself to the couch- where I might add I sleep just fine. When I finally got disgusted enough to call the customer service AGAIN, the friendly operator said that this was NORMAL and that it HAPPENS ALL THE TIME (!!) but since I had just received my bed they would waive the replacement fee and shipping fees and send me a new air chamber. When I asked what she meant by "it happens all the time," she repeated that this was a COMMON CONCERN and that if it ever happened again during the life of my mattress, I would be liable for a PERCENTAGE OF THE COST OF THE PIECE PLUS THE SHIPPING FEES!!! Now, to me this was astounding. I was under the impression that there was a 20 year warranty. The customer service agent then explained:

THE REAL STORY ABOUT YOUR 20 YEAR L-I-M-I-T-E-D WARRANTY:

If there is MECHANICAL FAILURE within the first two years, the company will replace ONE PIECE, ONCE.
After that, the customer must pay the shipping charges.

After two years, the prorated warranty kicks in and the customer is liable for 40% OF THE REPLACEMENT PART PLUS 4% FOR EACH YEAR. So at year 3, you are instantly paying 52% PLUS THE SHIPPING COSTS. By the 10th year you are already paying the ENTIRE COST, so the 20 YEAR WARRANTY IS B.S.

ALSO: PRETTY MUCH NOTHING IS COVERED NUDER MECHANICAL FAILURE. I found this out the hard way by ripping my zipper. If you have any spills, the plastic foundation cracks, or the foam compresses (which I promise it will) then NOTHING IS COVERED BY THE WARRANTY. And replacement pieces don't come cheap, this bed is like a VERY EXPENSIVE FOREIGN CAR TO MAINTAIN and will require CONSTANT FIXES and REINVESTMENT.

Rather than play games with this company, I just decided to return my bed. It was time to cut my losses. I paid $200 for their guys to come out and pack it up and I got all my money back (minus $200) within two weeks and went out and bought a TEMPURPEDIC. Let me tell you I LOVE IT!!

At the end of my select comfort experience I have one thing to say: DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY ON A VERY POORLY MADE PRODUCT LIKE THIS. Your sleep is a VERY IMPORTANT thing to invest in, and it seems to me like this company trades on peoples desire to get a good nights sleep to make HUGE PROFITS in their product line. I sincerely hope this review saves SOMEONE a whole lot of SLEEPLESS NIGHTS!!

Boyd Mattress Air Bed Select Your Sleep Comfort W Boyd Number System Mattress

Boyd Mattress Air Bed Select Your Sleep Comfort W Boyd Number System Mattress

Lux Aire II Air Bed Mattress Sleep System The Lux Aire II air mattress sleep system with two individual air chambers with 3 memory foam topper and adj...

Rv King Mattress Air Bed Select Your Sleep Comfort W Number System Mattress