Read more customer reviews
Write a Review
Time to put zee ear goggles on
Jun 26, 2009
a Very Helpful Review
by the Epinions community
Pros:Great sound, easily worn for long periods, modular design means they're easily repaired
Cons:Price may scare you; optimal sound requires a headphone amp
The Bottom Line: If you love music and can afford these, they're worth it. Be willing to consider a headphone amplifier purchase as well.
There's no way to easily convey how something /sounds/ with objective words. So what I will say is that these sound excellent and I don't regret buying them. It's almost fun to just hear well-recorded sound for the sake of enjoying the quality. That said, I'm not an "audiophile". I'd rather have more lower-quality music than less higher-quality music.
Recommend this product?
I've owned these for two years, and I listen to them through a headphone amplifier bought from a boutique shop in Germany. Source is my MacBook. Music I listen to on these spans classical, jazz, progressive rock, classic rock, pop, and modern alternative.
- Excellent sound with only a very slight mids/bass emphasis
- Very good "soundstage", which means the instruments sound really well spaced around you. With these, it's easier to pick out the various instruments and focus on them individually. The open design is part of the reason for this.
- Circumaural, velvet ear cups rest around your ear, without pressing down on your ear uncomfortably and getting it all hot. Your ears will warm up a little, but not much more.
- Modular design allows the earpads to be replaced "cheaply" once you've built up years of grime. Cable is also easily replaceable or upgradeable since it connects directly and separately to the rigth and left ear cups.
Some things folks may not like, that I do not view as faults:
- Wires go to each separate earcup (instead of to the left earcup and through the headband to the right).
- Open design leaks some sound out, as well as in.
- Requires a separate headphone amplifier for optimal sound. In my experience, this makes the lower frequencies sound a bit crisper and less muddy. (This is not to imply that these sound "muddy" in any significant way.)
- These are pretty big "ear goggles" that aren't going for big style points, but they aren't ugly either. The functionalist appearance is its own style anyway. (But not quite like the brutally basic and fairly uncomfortable "Grado" brand headphones though.)
I think I may be hard pressed to find differences between these and the one-rung-lower HD600 (which are generally $120 cheaper and a smidge uglier). Never heard the HD600, myself.
It's all diminishing marginal returns, so I kind of went knowingly overboard just to get some great headphones and be done with it. If you can manage the expense, I think you'll be pleased with these for a long time.
Read more product reviews on Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones
Write a Review
Share this product review with your friends
Sennheiser HD 25-1 II Closed-Back Headphones HD25-1 NEW Item Sku# sen:HD25-1 II Package Contents: Genuine Sennheiser Factory Package Includes:Sennhe...
Sennheiser HD280 Professional Headphones are Sennheiser's Best The HD280 Professional is Sennheiser's most significant closed, circumaural headphone...
Sennheiser HD-477 Headphones BRAND NEW! FACTORY SEALED! The Sennheiser HD-477 headphones will impress you mightily with their clear, transparent sound...
Sennheiser Closed-Back HD 25-1 II purpose-designed, professional monitoring headphones offer high attenuation of background noise. Capable of handling...
The Sennheiser HD 380 Pro monitoring headphones are designed to exceed the demands of the professional environment. The HD 380 Pro provides an extende...
Replacement driver for Sennheiser HD25-13 headphone **Will not work with Sennheiser models HD25-1,HD25-SP and HD25-C**
Sennheiser HD 25-1 II Headphones
Get ready to get down. With these snug-fitting noise-isolating headphones, you can say goodbye to outside distractions, and hello to the sweet, head-b...
The closed-back HD 25-1 II purpose-designed, professional monitoring headphones offer high attenuation of background noise. Capable of handling very h...
Designed to deliver exceptional isolation from ambient noise with precise and linear sound reproduction at high SPLs, the HD 280 Pro combines high fid...