Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones
(4 Epinions reviews)
Epinions Product Rating:
Time to put zee ear goggles on
Jun 26, 2009
Review by johnwhite
Rated a Very Helpful Review
Pros:Great sound, easily worn for long periods, modular design means they're easily repaired
Cons:Price may scare you; optimal sound requires a headphone amp
The Bottom Line: If you love music and can afford these, they're worth it. Be willing to consider a headphone amplifier purchase as well.
There's no way to easily convey how something /sounds/ with objective words. So what I will say is that these sound excellent and I don't regret buying them. It's almost fun to just hear well-recorded sound for the sake of enjoying the quality. That said, I'm not an "audiophile". I'd rather have more lower-quality music than less higher-quality music.
Recommend this product?
I've owned these for two years, and I listen to them through a headphone amplifier bought from a boutique shop in Germany. Source is my MacBook. Music I listen to on these spans classical, jazz, progressive rock, classic rock, pop, and modern alternative.
- Excellent sound with only a very slight mids/bass emphasis
- Very good "soundstage", which means the instruments sound really well spaced around you. With these, it's easier to pick out the various instruments and focus on them individually. The open design is part of the reason for this.
- Circumaural, velvet ear cups rest around your ear, without pressing down on your ear uncomfortably and getting it all hot. Your ears will warm up a little, but not much more.
- Modular design allows the earpads to be replaced "cheaply" once you've built up years of grime. Cable is also easily replaceable or upgradeable since it connects directly and separately to the rigth and left ear cups.
Some things folks may not like, that I do not view as faults:
- Wires go to each separate earcup (instead of to the left earcup and through the headband to the right).
- Open design leaks some sound out, as well as in.
- Requires a separate headphone amplifier for optimal sound. In my experience, this makes the lower frequencies sound a bit crisper and less muddy. (This is not to imply that these sound "muddy" in any significant way.)
- These are pretty big "ear goggles" that aren't going for big style points, but they aren't ugly either. The functionalist appearance is its own style anyway. (But not quite like the brutally basic and fairly uncomfortable "Grado" brand headphones though.)
I think I may be hard pressed to find differences between these and the one-rung-lower HD600 (which are generally $120 cheaper and a smidge uglier). Never heard the HD600, myself.
It's all diminishing marginal returns, so I kind of went knowingly overboard just to get some great headphones and be done with it. If you can manage the expense, I think you'll be pleased with these for a long time.
Share this product review with your friends
Live Sound Monitoring - There are many good reasons that Sennheiser HD 280 PRO monitoring headphones are so popular among recording professionals. Com...
Sennheiser HD 25-1 II Headphones item# 241419 condition: New The closed-back HD 25-1 II Headphones are purpose-designed, professional monitoring headp...
- Sennheiser HD 8 DJ Headphones Product Description Sennheiser Take control of the club with Sennheiser's top-of-the-line DJ model - HD8 DJ. The HD8 D...
The HD 429 features a powerful bass response provided by high-output neodymium magnets. In addition, these headphones display an innovative and ergono...
Learn more about Magnolia Premium Installation Enjoy faithful sound reproduction with these Sennheiser HD 25 ALUMINUM DJ headphones that block out bac...
Sennheiser HD 26 PRO Professional Closed Headphone with Split Headband, 100 Ohm Impedance, 20 to 18000Hz Frequency Response, 3.5mm Jack Plug The Sennh...
Stand apart from the crowd wearing these Sennheiser HD 429 dynamic HiFi headphones. They offer powerful bass response provided by high-output neodymiu...
HD380 Pro professional monitoring headphone is designed to exceed the demands of the professional environment. The HD380 Pro provides an extended freq...
Headphones open-back, over-the-ear stereo headphones,dynamic drivers with computer optimized magnets and lightweight aluminum voice coils for fast, po...
Find headphones and headsets at Target.com! High-end sennheiser headphones offer stereo sound with enhanced bass to drive music and vocals to new leve...