Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones
(4 Epinions reviews)
Epinions Product Rating:
Time to put zee ear goggles on
Jun 26, 2009
Review by johnwhite
Rated a Very Helpful Review
Pros:Great sound, easily worn for long periods, modular design means they're easily repaired
Cons:Price may scare you; optimal sound requires a headphone amp
The Bottom Line: If you love music and can afford these, they're worth it. Be willing to consider a headphone amplifier purchase as well.
There's no way to easily convey how something /sounds/ with objective words. So what I will say is that these sound excellent and I don't regret buying them. It's almost fun to just hear well-recorded sound for the sake of enjoying the quality. That said, I'm not an "audiophile". I'd rather have more lower-quality music than less higher-quality music.
Recommend this product?
I've owned these for two years, and I listen to them through a headphone amplifier bought from a boutique shop in Germany. Source is my MacBook. Music I listen to on these spans classical, jazz, progressive rock, classic rock, pop, and modern alternative.
- Excellent sound with only a very slight mids/bass emphasis
- Very good "soundstage", which means the instruments sound really well spaced around you. With these, it's easier to pick out the various instruments and focus on them individually. The open design is part of the reason for this.
- Circumaural, velvet ear cups rest around your ear, without pressing down on your ear uncomfortably and getting it all hot. Your ears will warm up a little, but not much more.
- Modular design allows the earpads to be replaced "cheaply" once you've built up years of grime. Cable is also easily replaceable or upgradeable since it connects directly and separately to the rigth and left ear cups.
Some things folks may not like, that I do not view as faults:
- Wires go to each separate earcup (instead of to the left earcup and through the headband to the right).
- Open design leaks some sound out, as well as in.
- Requires a separate headphone amplifier for optimal sound. In my experience, this makes the lower frequencies sound a bit crisper and less muddy. (This is not to imply that these sound "muddy" in any significant way.)
- These are pretty big "ear goggles" that aren't going for big style points, but they aren't ugly either. The functionalist appearance is its own style anyway. (But not quite like the brutally basic and fairly uncomfortable "Grado" brand headphones though.)
I think I may be hard pressed to find differences between these and the one-rung-lower HD600 (which are generally $120 cheaper and a smidge uglier). Never heard the HD600, myself.
It's all diminishing marginal returns, so I kind of went knowingly overboard just to get some great headphones and be done with it. If you can manage the expense, I think you'll be pleased with these for a long time.
Share this product review with your friends
Sennheiser HD 201 Headphones The Sennheiser HD 201 headphones are an ideal entry into the world of powerful stereo sound. The Sennheiser HD 201 has go...
Price: $279.95 Sennheiser HD6 Mix Headphones Brand New in its Original Retail Box The Camera Box Toll Free: 888-504-1271 or 718-387-0069 Be sure to ad...
Live Sound Monitoring - There are many good reasons that Sennheiser HD 280 PRO monitoring headphones are so popular among recording professionals. Com...
The HD 203 closed, dynamic hi-fi stereo headphones are the ideal partner for powerful modern music, providing good insulation against ambient noise an...
Sennheiser HD8 DJ Closed-Back Headphones
Stand apart from the crowd wearing these Sennheiser HD 429 dynamic HiFi headphones. They offer powerful bass response provided by high-output neodymiu...
The closed-back HD 25s are purpose-designed, professional monitoring headphones offering high attenuation of background noise.
open, over-the-ear design with replaceable padded earcups,frequency response: 14-26,000 Hz,10-foot detachable cable with full-sized headphone plug (mi...
The Sennheiser HD 598 Audiophile Over-Ear Headphones look as incredible as they sound. Inspired by the most sophisticated interiors from European spor...
Sennheiser HD8 DJ Closed Pro Headphones for DJ Applications, 95 Ohms, 8Hz-30 kHz Frequency Response, 3.5mm Plug with 1/4 Adapter The Sennheiser HD8 DJ...