Plantronics Voyager 510 Silver/Black Ear-Hook Headsets Reviews

Plantronics Voyager 510 Silver/Black Ear-Hook Headsets

+$5.99 shipping Newegg.com

Looks Can Be Very Deceiving

Mar 22, 2007 (Updated Apr 19, 2010)

Pros:great performance, wind resistance, easy set up, very light

Cons:looks odd, might be a bit too large for some

The Bottom Line: One of the better Bluetooth headsets available today - if you can get past the design.

PLEASE NOTE: For some reason, this review keeps getting moved to other review slots other than where I placed it. If, when you read this review, it's in the wrong slot, know that it's an Epinions glitch and not the fault of the author.

Okay, let's admit something... This headset looks clunky, heavy and just like a cross between some typical Bluetooth headset and a 1960's hearing aid. But I have to tell you, after owning several Bluetooth headsets, this is one of the best out there.

Recently, I returned my Plantronics 330 headset because of its static issue. This was its replacement, although I was quite reluctant due to its odd look. However, once I put it on my ear, I knew I had a winner.

Tones: There's a tone signaling an incoming call. There's a tone for making and ending a call. There's a tone if your headset should go beyond the 33 foot range and there's a tone if your headset and phone should lose connection. So there are no surprises... At least until you get familiar with what the tones signify.

Prices will vary on the net and in stores - I purchased this on eBay for $35.99.

I would strongly suggest buying a car charger or two. It comes in handy if you're using the headset on the road for long periods of time.

In the Box:
The 510, a wall charger, a manual, a quick reference guide, (3) rubber earbud inserts in (3) different sizes. This is great because we all have different sized ear canals.

What I Love:
While this headset looks heavy and cumbersome, it's exactly the opposite. It's very lightweight - I hardly know it's there. I was curious if wearing sunglasses would be an issue while wearing this unit. It is not.

I love that there's very little static and my callers don't complain about hearing themselves talk in echo. Since it has superior noise reduction, calls are cleaner sounding and my callers hear me better. "Windsmart" technology paired with a noise canceling microphone make for a top notch product.

The highest volume setting is sufficient for driving with the windows open.

Matching the headset to the phone is simple and very typical of any set up of Bluetooth devices. You put your headset and Bluetooth-enabled phone in "discovery mode" and after a few taps you're connected.

Another great feature is if you purchase the optional deskphone adapter, you can use this headset with BOTH your cell and office or home phones.

What I'm on the Fence About:
You have to push a bit harder to hang up or answer a call. Yet, there is a tone when you touch it hard enough so you don't hit it twice and hang up on someone in error.

What I Do NOT Like:
For some reason, on a few calls my headset never sent out a tone into my ear when I got calls and since the phone was in vibrate mode, I missed those calls. But this has only happened a few times and it might be the phone itself.

Overall, if you can get past the clunky look, this headset functions wonderfully. Since it has "Windsmart" technology, it's a cut above most of the competition.

Black - Wireless - Bluetooth - 33 ft - Over-the-ear - Monaural
Type Bluetooth Headset Noise Reduction Yes Ear Coupling Over the Ear Talk Time Up to 6 hour(s) Standby Time Up to 100 hours Operating Range 33 Feet Ba...
Newegg.com