Plantronics Voyager 510 Silver/Black Ear-Hook Headsets Reviews

Plantronics Voyager 510 Silver/Black Ear-Hook Headsets

Does the job for work at home mom

Mar 26, 2008

Pros:Frees up my hands and shoulders, as intended. Not too expensive, considering said freedom.

Cons:Short range, short battery life, confusing beeps and buttons, and professional appearance.

The Bottom Line: Good for the home or office, where your phone is close by.

I purchased this wireless Bluetooth headset because I work at home, and with a four-year-old and a 6-month-old, it's important I be able to carry on conversations while having my hands and shoulders free.

I also needed to be able to answer the phone quickly and it was too easy to lose track of my blackberry and home phone while dealing with the kids.

What works:
This headset uses Bluetooth technology to wirelessly connect to your Bluetooth-enabled phones. The basic technology works, and I was able to easily connect to both my Blackberry 8700 and my AT&T EP5632 home phone. I can walk around and have pretty clear conversations, with good volume, even outside.

The fit is snug when I push the ear tip a little bit in my ear canal, and I can wear it for a couple hours before it gets uncomfortable.

My coworkers say I sound fine when I'm using this headset combined with my Blackberry.

What doesn't work:
The battery life isn't great. I have to charge it at least every other day, and it is really annoying to find it needs a charge right when I'm getting ready for a conference call.

The beeps that play in my ear are confusing. I haven't been able to work out which one is telling me my battery is low, or that the headset has connected or disconnected from one of my phones due to being in or out of range. Sometimes I get a mystery beep that doesn't seem to alert me of anything and instead has me on edge that I'm going to drop the call in the middle of a conversation.

I admit it's a tough problem to figure out how to get buttons on this little thing, but sometimes I end up powering off my headset when I mean to turn the volume up or down. The mute function is pretty easy to use, and there is a beep every few seconds when you're on mute. (Again, hope it doesn't get confused with the battery-failure-imminent beep)

Don't buy this one if you want to look cool talking to your friends. It definitely has a customer-service-agent look and when I do occasionally wear it outside the house so I can be rude and talk to my husband while shopping, I'm self conscious about looking like I forgot to take my headset off before leaving work. It fits over your ear like the geeky/cool ones, but there is the professional looking arm and mike that juts a bit away from your ear towards your jaw.

My coworkers say it sounds like I'm running a vacuum in the background when using this headset with my AT&T home phone. Since it works with my Blackberry, I'm going to assume the problem lies with my phone but I had to warn you.

I think the ads say you can use this within a 33' range of your phone, but I do not find that to be accurate. I get good quality sound within 10' tops, without any obstacles like doorways or windows between us. I generally carry my Blackberry in my pocket or purse when using the headset.

Plantronics 74404-01 Headset Charging Cradle for Voyager 510 Bluetooth Headset
Plantronics VOYAGER 510 Voyager 510 Bluetooth Headset [Retail Packaging]Simplify your communications! The lightweight and versatile Plantronics Voyage...

+ Add Shoplet to Favorite Sellers Plantronics Voyager 510-USB Bluetooth Earset - PLNVOYLEGENDUC Bluetooth headset system connects PC and mobile phone ...
Black - Wireless - Bluetooth - 33 ft - Over-the-ear - Monaural
About Us Ebay Store Shipping Returns Payment FAQ's Top Brands: Plantronics Polycom Samsung Panasonic Garmin Motorola AT T Humminbird Norelco Braun Son...
Type Bluetooth Headset Noise Reduction Yes Ear Coupling Over the Ear Talk Time Up to 6 hour(s) Standby Time Up to 100 hours Operating Range 33 Feet Ba...
Newegg.com