Seventh Generation Natural Dish Liquid Soap (732913227334) Reviews

Seventh Generation Natural Dish Liquid Soap (732913227334)

Seventh Generation Dish Soap

Jan 23, 2013

Pros:Free of dyes, no artificial fragrances, suds last a long time

Cons:Left my hands feeling incredibly dry

The Bottom Line: A naturally based dish soap that is free of dyes and perfumes, but I found it drying to my hands.

An older friend of mine likes to buy natural cleaners, like me, and we both buy Seventh Generation cleaning products.  Today I helped her prepare for a large luncheon at her home, in celebration of her birthday.  There were ten of us present, and we dirtied a lot of dishes.  I spent an hour washing dishes, using her Seventh Generation Natural Dish Soap.

We served a homemade soup, homemade bread, two salads, stuffed eggplant with a marinara sauce, and Greek phyllo wraps.  After that we served coffee and cake.  When we were finished eating I offered to clean up, and there were a lot of dishes!  Glassware, soup bowls, tea cups, salad plates, dinner plates, dessert plates, and all of the stoneware bowls and platters that contained the main dishes.  The salads, bread and main dishes were catered by a local restaurant who supplied the beautiful stoneware serving pieces.  These were washed by hand and dried so they could be returned to the restaurant today.

The eggplant dish was the hardest to clean because the marinara sauce had baked onto the edges of the dish.  I let it soak while I washed the other dishes and glasses, and when it came time to scrub it clean, the dish soap had done a good job of loosening the dried on sauce.

The glasses were crystal and the teacups made of fine bone china, so I also washed those by hand, not wanting to put them in the dishwasher and risk any of them breaking.  The clear glasses cleaned up nicely, and I rinsed them with very hot water so the glasses would dry quickly.  There were no spots on the glasses.

Our dinner plates were a bit greasy from the Basalmic vinegrette dressing, but the dish soap cut right through that as well.  There wasn't anything this dish soap couldn't handle.

Last, she requested that the real silverware not be placed in the dishwasher.  Some of these items had been handed down from generation to generation, and several pieces were quite unique.  The scoop spoon that we used in the sugar bowl was hard to clean, and there were a lot of small spoons that were served with the tea cups.  All of the silver washed up beautifully, looking shiny and new.  Dishes felt squeaky clean with no residue remaining on them.

The soap is clear with no dyes and it is free of perfumes as well.  It squirted out of the bottle easily, and was about the same consistency as most other dish soaps I use.  I was amazed by how quickly I had a sink full of suds too, and it only took one squirt.  The suds lasted through the entire load of dishes that I washed, so I give this product a five out of five for lasting ability.

As much as I like this dish soap, I do have one complaint, and that is my hands have been very dry ever since.  I have dry hands, but they were drier than normal.  For those with sensitive skin, this formula is hypoallergenic.  I have sensitive skin and I didn't have any issues with a rash or itching.

The Seventh Generation website states this dish soap contains ingredients that are derived from plants, that it effectively cut grease, it's non-toxic, dye free, free of synthetic fragrances and it's biodegradable.

I have yet to find a dish soap that is truly moisturizing to the hands, but this one really did a number on my hands.  It did a great job of cleaning all of my friends dishes, and in the future I could use rubber gloves on my hands, but I don't like to wear them.  I take one star away due to the dryness issue, but other than that this product really excelled.

Gets dishes sparkling clean yet is gentle on your hands and the earth. Plant-derived formula is non-irritating to the skin. Non-toxic, biodegradable a...