Sevin-10 Bug Killer Rtu

Killed my cutworms dead...dead dead!

Jun 16, 2005 (Updated Jun 30, 2005)

Pros:Very effective in my first application, long list of pests killed. Fast degrading poison.

Cons:It is a poison, but effective one!

The Bottom Line: Killed of my cutworms...fast! Degrades fast and is effective at killing pests.

Update 06/30/2005
I found some squash bugs on my tomato plants and I also found droppings from what I believe to be tomato hornworms. So I decided not to wait and I applied Sevin to my tomato plants. I found one dead adult squash bug the next day and I still have not found any on my plants for the next 3 days. Too short to be certain, but it looks like it killed the squash bugs too. Also no more droppings on the leaves as well. I'll update again later when I have more info.

Original Review:
I prefer to remove pests manually from my small vegetable garden, or to encourage natural predators. However, my house is in a fairly new subdivison light on trees and cover for natural predators, so I get my fair share of bugs in my garden.

I recently saw my zucchini plants limp and the stalks had rolled over onto the ground, not a good sign. Everything else in the garden was looking great, so I knew some pest or fungus was at work. I decided to sacrifice a plant and dug it up and opened it up, and sure enough there were 6 big fat happy cutworms devouring my zucchini plant from the inside out. I checked the damage on the remaining plants and all showed signs of infestation. My three largest plants were so bad off I decided to yank them, but the three smaller ones looked like they still had a chance to recover. So off to Lowes to find some help.

I asked the Lowes garden expert for the best solution to use on vegetable plants and she recommended Sevin. I brought a bottle home and looked up the active ingredient.

The active Ingredient:
The active ingredient in Sevin is carbaryl, which is a very effective poison, but is is also toxic, so care must be used in the application.

My first degree was environmental science, so I have some background on pesticides, not enough to be called an expert, but enough to recognize when something is nasty. Carbaryl is nasty, so please wear gloves when handling this stuff, stay upwind of any spray produced when applying the product and do not go into an area that was sprayed until the ground and plant cover is completely dry. Please keep your kids and pets out of the area until it is completely dry and I would say for a day or two after it is dry just to be safe.

Manufacturers warn about everything these days to be covered on lawsuits, but for Sevin, you really should follow the warnings, this stuff is toxic and should be treated as such. Read the labels and follow the instructions.

The good news about this active ingredient is that it rapidly degrades in the environment, so it won't be hanging around for months in your garden.

Usage:
This product comes in a powder form and a liquid bottle that attaches directly to your garden hose, as well as a ready to use hand sprayer. For the powder you just add some powder to a mixing container, attach the container to your hose and spray away. The liquid bottle just attaches to the hose and you spray.

Just spray the affected area, and any nearby cover in case the pests aren't all on the plants, and makes sure it is all thoroughly soaked. Then wait for the poison to work :)

One note, please harvest any fruit/vegetables before spraying and do not eat anything from the area sprayed for at least 7-10 days, longer if you can wait. Make sure to wash thoroughly any fruit/veggies that you do pick after that time period.

My results:
I sprayed my zucchini plants and the next day I went to check on them. They all looked very healthy and were standing much taller than just the day before. I even found one cutworm corpse on the ground by the stalk. So it looks like it worked great for me, I'm happy!

The list of bugs and pests this product kills is very impressive. For a complete list go here:

I noticed that it also kills tomato hornworms, one pest I had plenty of last year, so looks like I'll be getting this stuff out again shortly to wipe them out.

Summary:
I have reluctantly added this chemical to my list of weapons against the pests in my garden. I will use it sparingly, but it saved the life of my zucchini plants in just one small application, so I have to give it a highly recommended.

My Other Home & Garden Reviews:

Amdro Fire Ant Bait

Gal Rtu Sevin Bug Spray , 2001

Gal Rtu Sevin Bug Spray , 2001

Gal Rtu Sevin Bug Spray
Sevin Bug Ready to Use Killer Spray Multicolor - 353001

Sevin Bug Ready to Use Killer Spray Multicolor - 353001

Shop for Pest Control from Hayneedle.com! About SevinSevin products are suitable for virtually any outdoor insect problem. Use Sevin on vegetables, fr...
Hayneedle

Sevin Bug Ready to Use Killer Spray Multicolor - 353001, 1 gal.

Sevin Bug Ready to Use Killer Spray Multicolor - 353001, 1 gal.

Hayneedle

S7201 Sevin 7 Ready To Use 10lb Bag Granule Garden Bug Insect Killer 4220844

S7201 Sevin 7 Ready To Use 10lb Bag Granule Garden Bug Insect Killer 4220844

GARDEN SEVIN DUST LARGE 10LB BAG FACTORY SEALED NEW GREAT SALE PRICE!!WE WILL ALSO COMBINE SHIPPING AND SHIP EACH ADDITIONAL BAG FOR 5.00 SHIPPING.No-...

6 Each Sevin S7300 Ready To Spray Bug Killer

6 Each Sevin S7300 Ready To Spray Bug Killer

Lot sale of (6) Sevin, 32oz bottles of ready to spray bug killer by Gulfstream Home and Garden Inc. # S7300 Item: 560755 Quantity of (6) bottles of Se...

Gulf Stream 100047730/S2001 Sevin Bug Killer Spray Ready To Use

Gulf Stream 100047730/S2001 Sevin Bug Killer Spray Ready To Use

1 GALLON Kills over 100+ insects. Consumer choice as the diazinon replacement. Simplest general insecticide for consumers to use eliminates the fear o...
12 Each Sevin S7300 Ready To Spray Bug Killer

12 Each Sevin S7300 Ready To Spray Bug Killer

Lot sale of (12) Sevin, 32oz bottles of ready to spray bug killer by Gulfstream Home and Garden Inc. # S7300 Item: 560755 Quantity of (12) bottles of ...

32 Oz Sevin Bug Killer Insecticide Spray Rtu S2002

32 Oz Sevin Bug Killer Insecticide Spray Rtu S2002

New 32 oz bottle of GardenTech's Sevin Insecticide Spray , Ready To Use, # S2002, item 464146. Manufactured by Gulfstream Home and Garden. 32 ounce bo...