Gulf Stream Home & Garden Gulf Stream Sevin Rtu 5percent Dust Bug Killer 1.5 Pounds (S7007) Reviews

1 consumer review

Sevin Dust is Powerful!

May 18, 2012

Pros:Very effective at killing pests - just what the manufacturer claims it does.

Cons:Very toxic to certain pets.

The Bottom Line: If you have to, use it, but be very careful and follow manufacturer's directions.  It works.

Sevin Dust does what it says:  It kills pests.  Now, many pet owners have used this product indoors for flea control, near baseboards, windows, carpet and even kennels.  Here’s my take on it:

Sevin Dust contains the chemical carbaryl which is known to kill many pests on trees, shrubs, veggie gardens and even fruit bearing trees.  Gardeners and pet owners everywhere use it to control those insects/pests on lawn, garden and even pets even though it is strongly advised NOT TO use it on pets directly. Carbaryl is also known as a human carcinogen (one major reason I WILL NOT use it on my veggie garden nor pets directly).  Most heavy concentrate found on corn, pecans, oranges, etc.  Therefore ALWAYS wash fruit and veggies well.

I have a garden and two miniature schnauzer boys that love running in the yard every chance they get.  Fleas are abundant in the south these days and very difficult to control.  I have tried several pest control methods from Sevin Dust, granular chemicals on the lawn as well as Pet products, still fleas and might I mention ticks are abundant this year! Sevin Dust does work and will take care of that problem for you.

I wrote an earlier review on fleas and controlling them where I did not clearly specify the strength or exact product used on my boys.  I stated it was Sevin Dust.  Well folks,it was not! It was though, a form of it and much lower strength than the Sevin Dust – 5 sold, in fact it was indeed Carbaryl but in a flea collar (lesson:  check the product contents/chemical even if it is intended for your pets).  Flea collars with Carbaryl, I believe are no longer manufactured, but may still be on shelves….Sevin Dust is very effective, thus the excellent eradication of insects targeted with the stuff outdoors.    It is very poisonous on pets in the powder "Sevin Dust" form, although, cats tend to tolerate it better than dogs.  I have heard numerous horror stories of sick and even dead Canines if treated with Sevin Dust, although some swear by it I will not try the powder on my little guys.

Sevin Dust (Carbaryl) is known to affect the nervous system and will cause vomiting, dizziness, and even respiratory paralysis or death.   I will use it, however, on my lawn in the front where my little guys do not roam.  During application I do use a mask and gloves, wear clothing that covers me well and do remove and wash the same immediately to avoid cross contamination.  Sounds serious? Well, I am being careful to follow manufacturer’s instructions and aware of a product that can kill numbers of insects to include the honeybee as well as other cross pollinators.  Then why use it? Because it is effective.  Remember, I only use it in an area heavily infested to gain control (once now in ten years) and that is still better than suffering from fleas, ticks or worse lyme disease, or worm infestation that can be caused by fleas.  I know, sounds a little contradictory, and it is not meant to be.  The use of it was sparingly and the first time in over ten years.  I use other products where the dogs enjoy the outdoors and my lovely veggies grow as no one can convince me that I don’t somehow ingest remnants when I enjoy my tomatoes (if I were to use it).  I prefer beneficial insect gardening to control pests over the use of chemicals in my veggie patch.  This method does not work with fleas though and if you have one, please let me know.

Sevin Dust comes in larger bags for coverage of larger areas and is available in smaller shaker cans which are recommended because you are more able to target your application to desired areas.

Pound for pound it is less expensive than other chemicals that are intended for pest control and it is very effective.  If used, however, please use it carefully and conscientiously.  Follow manufacturer’s directions and be kind to your pets and not use it on them.  If you treat their kennel, my advice is to shake the powder on, let it sit, vacuum or sweep out and follow it with a thorough washing before allowing your pet to return as the powder is much like talcum and your pet would probably ingest by licking or breathing.

Gulf Stream Home & Garden - Sevin Hose End Bug Killer Ready To Spray 1 Quart - 100047723-S7300

This Sevin Liquid Ready To Use Spray is suitable for virtually any outdoor insect problem. It is great for use on vegetables, fruits, ornamentals and ...

Gulf Stream Home & Garden - Sevin Bug Killer Spray Ready To Use 1 Quart - 100047720-S2002

This Sevin Ready To Use Spray is suitable for virtually any outdoor insect problem. It is great for use on gardens and fruit and ornamental trees. It ...

Gulf Stream Home & Garden - Sevin 2 percent Lawn Insect Granules 20 Pound - 100047727-S7202

The Sevin Granules offer broad-spectrum coverage for lawns. The granules are excellent for use as a barrier treatment around foundations, porches and ...

Gulf Stream Home & Garden - Sevin Bug Killer Concentrate 1 Quart - 100064377-S7101

This Sevin Liquid Concentrate is suitable for virtually any outdoor insect problem. It is great for use on gardens and fruit and ornamental trees. It ...

Ads by Google