Gulf Stream Home & Garden Gulf Stream Sevin Rtu 5percent Dust Bug Killer 1.5 Pounds (S7007) Reviews

Sevin Dust is Powerful!

May 18, 2012

Pros:Very effective at killing pests - just what the manufacturer claims it does.

Cons:Very toxic to certain pets.

The Bottom Line: If you have to, use it, but be very careful and follow manufacturer's directions.  It works.

Sevin Dust does what it says:  It kills pests.  Now, many pet owners have used this product indoors for flea control, near baseboards, windows, carpet and even kennels.  Here’s my take on it:

Sevin Dust contains the chemical carbaryl which is known to kill many pests on trees, shrubs, veggie gardens and even fruit bearing trees.  Gardeners and pet owners everywhere use it to control those insects/pests on lawn, garden and even pets even though it is strongly advised NOT TO use it on pets directly. Carbaryl is also known as a human carcinogen (one major reason I WILL NOT use it on my veggie garden nor pets directly).  Most heavy concentrate found on corn, pecans, oranges, etc.  Therefore ALWAYS wash fruit and veggies well.

I have a garden and two miniature schnauzer boys that love running in the yard every chance they get.  Fleas are abundant in the south these days and very difficult to control.  I have tried several pest control methods from Sevin Dust, granular chemicals on the lawn as well as Pet products, still fleas and might I mention ticks are abundant this year! Sevin Dust does work and will take care of that problem for you.

I wrote an earlier review on fleas and controlling them where I did not clearly specify the strength or exact product used on my boys.  I stated it was Sevin Dust.  Well folks,it was not! It was though, a form of it and much lower strength than the Sevin Dust – 5 sold, in fact it was indeed Carbaryl but in a flea collar (lesson:  check the product contents/chemical even if it is intended for your pets).  Flea collars with Carbaryl, I believe are no longer manufactured, but may still be on shelves….Sevin Dust is very effective, thus the excellent eradication of insects targeted with the stuff outdoors.    It is very poisonous on pets in the powder "Sevin Dust" form, although, cats tend to tolerate it better than dogs.  I have heard numerous horror stories of sick and even dead Canines if treated with Sevin Dust, although some swear by it I will not try the powder on my little guys.

Sevin Dust (Carbaryl) is known to affect the nervous system and will cause vomiting, dizziness, and even respiratory paralysis or death.   I will use it, however, on my lawn in the front where my little guys do not roam.  During application I do use a mask and gloves, wear clothing that covers me well and do remove and wash the same immediately to avoid cross contamination.  Sounds serious? Well, I am being careful to follow manufacturer’s instructions and aware of a product that can kill numbers of insects to include the honeybee as well as other cross pollinators.  Then why use it? Because it is effective.  Remember, I only use it in an area heavily infested to gain control (once now in ten years) and that is still better than suffering from fleas, ticks or worse lyme disease, or worm infestation that can be caused by fleas.  I know, sounds a little contradictory, and it is not meant to be.  The use of it was sparingly and the first time in over ten years.  I use other products where the dogs enjoy the outdoors and my lovely veggies grow as no one can convince me that I don’t somehow ingest remnants when I enjoy my tomatoes (if I were to use it).  I prefer beneficial insect gardening to control pests over the use of chemicals in my veggie patch.  This method does not work with fleas though and if you have one, please let me know.

Sevin Dust comes in larger bags for coverage of larger areas and is available in smaller shaker cans which are recommended because you are more able to target your application to desired areas.

Pound for pound it is less expensive than other chemicals that are intended for pest control and it is very effective.  If used, however, please use it carefully and conscientiously.  Follow manufacturer’s directions and be kind to your pets and not use it on them.  If you treat their kennel, my advice is to shake the powder on, let it sit, vacuum or sweep out and follow it with a thorough washing before allowing your pet to return as the powder is much like talcum and your pet would probably ingest by licking or breathing.

Gulf Stream Home & Garden - Sevin Bug Killer Spray Ready To Use 1 Gallon - 100047730-S2001

SEVIN BUG KILLER SPRAY READY TO USE. Kills over 100+ insects. Consumer choice as the diazinon replacement. Simplest general insecticide for consumers ...
Gulf Stream Newmar Tiffin Rv Motor Home Feed Through Sensors

Gulf Stream Newmar Tiffin Rv Motor Home Feed Through Sensors

SUPER DEALS ON TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING SYSTEMS. (TPMS) M ONITORS TIRE PRESSURE TEMPERATURE REAL TIME AT THE DRIVERS SEAT Totally Wireless The WASP Su...

Gulf Stream Home & Garden - Daconil Fungicide Ready To Use Spray- Red 1 Quart - 100047756-2112

This Sevin Daconil Ready To Use Spray controls/stops and prevents over 70 diseases. It is ideal to use on flowers, vegetables, shrubs and fruit and sh...

Gulfstream Home & Garden 100508075 Rooting Powder 2-oz.

Gulfstream Home & Garden 100508075 Rooting Powder 2-oz.

ABOUT US | SHIPPING | PAYMENT | RETURNS | CONTACT NEW GULFSTREAM HOME GARDEN 100508075 ROOTING POWDER 2-OZ.Product Features and Specs Root boost rooti...

1.5-Gallon White Gulf Stream Nandina (L9620) NURSERY

1.5-Gallon White Gulf Stream Nandina (L9620) NURSERY

Colorful evergreen foliage. Low, compact growth habit. Popular accent shrub.
Lowe's

10 Lb Sevin Granules By Gulfstream Home & Garden S7201

10 Lb Sevin Granules By Gulfstream Home & Garden S7201

Sevin Granules by Gulfstream Home Garden Ready-to-use Sevin granules for lawn applications. No mix formula. Controls ants, fleas, ticks, and grubs. Re...