Sharper Image AQUOS LC-32D4U 32" 720p HD LCD Television Reviews

Sharper Image AQUOS LC-32D4U 32" 720p HD LCD Television

TV looks great! Sound but no picture! Sharp's customer service took care of it!

Mar 2, 2007 (Updated Mar 23, 2007)

• Sound:
  • Picture Quality:

Pros:It does look really nice when turned off.

Cons:It was brand new and it does not work!

The Bottom Line: I have increased my rating for this because Sharp replaced it with a new TV. Please see my review of the replacement LC-37D62U

I selected this television based on the reputation of Sharp as an LCD manufacturer and the quality of their televisions I saw in retail stores.

I made the mistake of purchasing this TV from Buy.com. I did so because they had a good price and I had some store credit to use. Buy.Com will not accept returns.

Anyway after a rather painful ordering and delivery process the TV arrived after 14 days.

Tuesday:
When I took it out of the box and turned it on, I was utterly amazed at what I saw. Absolutely nothing! No picture. No on screen menus. No sound. Just a back light.

I called the Sharp help number 1800-BE-SHARP. They were very sympathetic and said they would arrange a prompt in house service. They faxed my case to one of two local service centers and said I would be called next day.

Wednesday, no call! I called the service center. They claimed not to have received the fax. I called Sharp. After 15 minutes on hold, they said they would call the other center. They said they were on the other line and promised to call me immediately.

Thursday, no call. I called Sharp and let them know how unhappy I was. They called both service centers. Again both service centers said they would call. Both service centers claimed they had problems reaching me on all of the 3 phone numbers I provided.

Friday, both service centers call. Both say they are backed up and cannot come to my house for a week. Both say they cannot do in home service and must take the TV away. One states openly that they have never worked on a Sharp LCD TV before and must try to find some schematics and technical documents. Both say they have no spare parts on hand.

I call Sharp again. They say there is nothing I can do but wait. They refuse to consider replacing this DOA television. They say it would have to be at least 5 weeks waiting for repair, and then it would take the approval of two managers. They are very nice support staff, but they just want to stall you.

So much for the state of the art factory in Japan. So much for quality control. So much for caring about customers who have spent thousands of dollars on their products. I know that Sharp in Japan would never treat their customers like this. But the American management clearly does not care.

This service is such a contrast to Sony, who made my other LCD TV. That TV needed a firmware update and they sent a service technical to my house without me even making a request.

A minor issue with the physical build quality, the rear is all plastic, and the supplied stand is quite unstable. It does not attach to the TV at a high enough point to keep the TV from wobbling.

Update March 7th 2007: No representative of Sharp has come to repair the television. It has been over a week, and nothing has been done. I have contact the Better Business Bureau in Trenton, New Jersey where Sharp has its US Headquarters.

Update March 8th 2007: An authorized repair center sent two guys and a pickup truck to take the TV in for analysis. I insisted that they pack the TV in the original box rather than wrapping it in shipping blankets. The whole experience was a little surreal.

Update March 9th 2007: An employee of Sharp call me to apologise for how this had been handled, and told me they would ship me a replacement 1080P LC-37D62U television with a week.

Update March 16th 2007: I called Sharp to find out the status. They informed me that the replacement television had shipped and was now scheduled to arrive on March 19th.

Update March 23rd 2007: My replacement LC-37D62U arrived. It is amazing. I am so relieved this nightmare is over.

Refurbished Sharp Aquos Quattron LC80LE844U 80-inch Smart LED TV - 3D - 1080p (Ful

The Sharp Aquos Quattron LC80LE844U 80-inch Smart LED TV features full HD 1080p X-Gen LCD panel, which is designed with advanced pixel control to mini...
Refurbished Sharp Aquos LC70LE640U 70-inch Smart LED TV - 1080p (Full HD) - 16:9 -

The Sharp Aquos LC70LE640U 70-inch Smart LED TV is the perfect blend of design, performance wrapped into a sleek, attractive package. It features Ultr...
60 In. AQUOS 1080p LED SMART TV with 120Hz - Sharp - LC-60LE650U

60 In. AQUOS 1080p LED SMART TV with 120Hz - Sharp - LC-60LE650U

60LED HDTV,1080p,120HZ,WiFi,Smart TV,4-HDMI,2-USB,RS-232c,MHL Compat.. Shipping Weight: 76LBS. Shipping Dimensions: 8H X 37W X 60L. 60 in. Class (Diag...
Sharp Aquos Lc-70ud1u 70 Full 3d 1080p Hd Led Lcd Internet Tv

Sharp Aquos Lc-70ud1u 70 Full 3d 1080p Hd Led Lcd Internet Tv

Sharp AQUOS LC-70UD1U 70 Full 3D 1080p HD LED LCD Internet TV Echo And Optics Refresh Rate: 120Hz (Native); AquoMotion 240 (Effective) Backlight: LED ...

Sharp - AQUOS LC-70LE650U 70 Full HD 1080p Smart LED TV, Slim Design, Dual 10W Speakers,

Sharp AQUOS LC-70LE650U 70 Full HD 1080p Smart LED TV, Slim Design, Dual 10W Speakers, USB Media Player & Four HDMI Inputs Big, bold and brainy - the ...
Adorama

Sharp Aquos Lc-90le657u 90 Full 3d 1080p Hd Led Lcd Television

Sharp Aquos Lc-90le657u 90 Full 3d 1080p Hd Led Lcd Television

ElectroZone Appliances BluRay/DVD Players Camcorders Gaming Home Audio Office Supplies Portables Projectors Televisions Sharp AQUOS LC-90LE657U 90 Ful...

Sharp - AQUOS - 32 Class (31-1/2 Diag.) - LED - 720p - 60Hz - HDTV

Sharp - AQUOS - 32 Class (31-1/2 Diag.) - LED - 720p - 60Hz - HDTV

Sharp AQUOS LC-32LE451U LED HDTV: Enjoy your favorite high-definition shows with this Sharp AQUOS HDTV's 720p display that is ideal for smaller living...
Best Buy

Sharp - AQUOS LC-60LE660U 60 Class Full HD Smart LED TV, 1920x1080 Resolution, 3 HDMI, US

Sharp AQUOS LC-60LE660U 60 Class Full HD Smart LED TV, 1920x1080 Resolution, 3 HDMI, USB, Built-In Wi-Fi & Ethernet Connectivity With the Sharp AQUOS ...
Adorama

Refurbished Sharp LC-60C8470U 60-inch LED TV - Smart TV - 1920 x 1080 - 1080p (Ful

The LC-60C8470U is part of the large-screen premium AQUOS QUATTRON LED Smart TV line. This 60-inch Class (60-1/32-inch diagonal) model with brushed bl...
Sharp AQUOS Q+ 60 1080P LED 3D Smart HDTV - LC-60SQ15U

Sharp AQUOS Q+ 60 1080P LED 3D Smart HDTV - LC-60SQ15U

Ability To Play 4K (3840x2160) Content/ Full HD 1080p (1920x1080) Native Resolution/ 8,000,000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio/ 240Hz Refresh Rate/ Revelatio...
Abt Electronics