Pros: NOTHING BENEFICIAL.
Cons: See review.
Longterm use causes severe eczema or rash.
I used this air cleaner for 2ys 3mths unaware that it was the cause of a mysterious and severe rash/eczema condition. It wasn't until I removed this unit from my environment that the rash cleared up (after four months). The rash begins within the first year very slowly but gets steadily worse. Other symptoms included itching scalp and a slight case of tinnitus in my left ear. Doctors will misdiagnose the symptoms and will suggest that the cause is anything from soap, dye, food allergy, mold, or insect bite.
After suffering two years from this mysterious rash/eczema in desperation I removed this air cleaner from my environment; something I just never suspected, it was simply the last thing I had added to my space that fit the time period of the eczema/rash.
Within days the acute itching subsided and I knew that this product was the cause; the weeks that followed brought continued relief and the rash/eczema sores continued to retreat but leaving many many blemishes/scars behind. Now four months after it's removal the itching is virtually all gone.
My experience isn't singular. A friend who used this same model Ionic breeze Air Cleaner told me he had break outs of rash and skins inflamation whenever he had a drink (beer or wine) or two. He is an occassional drinker and his doctor prescribed a steroid cream and suggested that he may have developed an alcohol allergy.
A few months ago I mentioned that I had removed the Ionic Breeze from my environment and found relief from my eczema/rash, he was stunned. He was using the same model but for a much shorter time than me. So he pulled the plug and a short time later he told me he could drink again without any rash break outs.
It is not enough just to turn this machine off; IT MUST BE REMOVED FROM YOUR ENVIRONMENT!
The Sharper Image Ionic Breeze Air Cleaner emits ozone, a toxic substance (ask a doctor or allergist). It took about a year of use for my symptoms (rash/itching/eczema) to become serious enough to see a doctor. My condition was misdiagnosed. Ozone isn't normally found in houses.
I had this unit on the "high" setting 24 hours a day. It is silent, easy to clean, and simple to operate; the very reasons that make it deceptively harmful. For those interested the product manual can be viewed at www.sharperimage.com.