Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale

Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale, Excellent Soda-Pop!!

Oct 6, 2006

Pros:A nice light treat

Cons:Don't lace the glass.

The Bottom Line: I happen to like this ale. It's probably not a noted pumpkin choice but I liked the overall almost soda-pop taste and feel. Hey, I like soda.

Of the two of us, it's my wife who has a particular taste for pumpkin brews. She was out at a brew pub on Long Island, John Harvard's, and had their pumpkin ale poured into a glass that had a rim laced with cinnamon. She wanted me to try it. I never did get out there with her. Pretty lame.

Pumpkinhead on Draught

This last weekend we were up in Portland Maine. We dined in a restaurant by the name of Charlie Bieggs just outside of Portland and my wife jumped when they said they had Shipyard Pumpkinhead on tap.

The ale, when brought over to the table by our waitress, was a translucent yellow orange colour with just enough orange tint to say, "There may be some pumpkin in this brew." There was little head by the time it was presented to us. No lace on the glass either. I took a sniff. Cinnamon was dominant. I liked it. That same cinnamon aroma came through in the taste but an addition of nutmeg could be noticed too. I didn't pick up any pumpkin taste at all.

The mouth feel was different than expected. I thought I would perceive more complexity from a pumpkin ale. Having said that, I was quite pleased with the feel. It was light, sprite and slightly sweet. I never picked up a true pumpkin taste, only some spices that could be associated with pumpkin pie.

The taste of the cinnamon/nutmeg spices with the light and sweet mouth feel that combined with substantial carbonation was pleasing to me. The finish was clean and fresh. I immediately wanted more. I could chug this stuff easily if I cared to. I truly enjoyed this sweet treat and had a very fair share amount of it that weekend.

I must be honest and compare this to a soda-pop. It is so light it has few beer qualities that I expected with a name like Pumpkinhead Ale. The difference from soda was that though I got a clean finish, there is a slightly oily feel that lingers. We had more Pumpkinhead at another restaurant that weekend at the Dry Dock Tavern in the Old Port section of the city. Ha, my wife even tried to see if the barmaid would do the laced rim bit for her. No way she could.

Because the Shipyard Brewery that makes Pumpkinhead Ale is in Portland, just a few blocks away from the "old Port" section of town, it's available in many pubs and, Portland my friends, is the land of pubs. The more my wife and I visit the town, the more we enjoy it.

I had the Shipyard Pumpkin Ale with steak the first night and broiled scallops the second. Because the taste is light, sweetish, and has a distinct but not overpowering aroma and taste, I found it refreshing with both meals. Though this is a seasonal beer, I could see it as a refreshing summer drink too. It's not one that I would prefer in the middle of winter. This fall release wheat ale is noted to have a 4.50% alcohol content.

Pumpkinhead Out of the Bottle

We purchased a couple of 12 packs at a local Portland supermarket to take home. It was on sale, $10 for a 12 pack. The bottles have an evil-looking pumpkinhead character on horseback on the label. I don't know where this character is from. Maybe someone can enlighten me. It's not the pumpkinhead from the original Wizard of OZ series and he isn't the same guy from the "Fright" Pumpkinhead films either.

The bottles have a "Best Enjoyed" with months and dates notched on side of bottle The bottles we purchased state, "Best Enjoyed before February '07". I don't believe any of the bottles will live that long because my wife and I feel October a good time to enjoy this brew.

In any case I popped off the cap and poured some in a glass. The white head does dissipate quickly leaving little lace. The aroma of the cinnamon came through first. It's quite pronounced. When tasting the ale I first pick up the cinnamon and then traces of nutmeg, almost like a vanilla with it's smoothish feel. It had the same mouth feel as the draught we had in town. It was light with little body but strong in "sugar and spice and everything nice". It was quite refreshing. I was happy. I like the stuff...a lot. I recently had some right out of the bottle. It's no way to drink this stuff. The aroma and flavour we not nearly as prevelent though I did pick up a taste of clove at the finish. I say pour it into a glass as you watch the Mets win another game as I did last evening.

At Home, All Dressed Up In Lace

Once home my wife did present me with a cinnamon laced glass with the Shipyard Pumpkinhead ale in it. The taste of the rim was sweet and spicy. It did nothing for the brew though. I lost the taste because of this "coverup" and it was like I drinking a Coors lite. I think maybe my wife has been preparing too many Margaritas with salt and just likes trimming any glass for any drink with something.

"Hey Honey! Don't be putting on any lace for me tonight." Mmm, maybe that was the wrong thing to say?

Shipyard Brewing Company
Shipyard Export Ale

Portland, the home to many brewpubs

Pumpkinhead Shirt

Pumpkinhead Shirt

This officially licensed Pumpkinhead shirt features the titular monster in an image from the VHS release for the Stan Winston-directed horror film whi...
80sTees.com
Pumpkinhead Sealed Dvd

Pumpkinhead Sealed Dvd

When a gang of bikers run over a child, the child's father invokes the demon Pumpkinhead to seek his revenge, forgetting there is a price for his serv...

Pumpkinhead Movie Poster

Pumpkinhead Movie Poster

This Pumpkinhead Poster measures around 24x36. Excellent New Condition. This is a high quality poster posterprint. Shipped Rolled.
Pumpkinhead Movie 11x17 Mini Poster

Pumpkinhead Movie 11x17 Mini Poster

Pumpkinhead Poster print, Pumpkinhead. Measures approx. 11inx17in. Brand new condition. We have the best selection and prices.
Pumpkinhead II: Blood Wings Blu-ray Disc

Pumpkinhead II: Blood Wings Blu-ray Disc

Demonic monster Pumpkinhead returns for more splatter-filled vengeance in this self-conscious sequel to the surprisingly good first film. You'll find ...
Family Video

CafePress Jack Pumpkinhead Dark T-Shirt

CafePress Jack Pumpkinhead Dark T-Shirt

Dark T-shirt100% preshrunk cotton, Charcoal Grey is 50% cotton/50% polyesterCrew NecklineStandard FitMachine Wash Cold
CafePress.com

Pumpkinhead: Ashes To Ashes (dvd, 2007) -

Pumpkinhead: Ashes To Ashes (dvd, 2007) -

Genre fans will love seeing two horror greats in this entry in the Pumpkinhead series: Lance Henriksen (the Alien films) and Doug Bradley (aka HELLRAI...

CafePress Jack Pumpkinhead Light T-Shirt

CafePress Jack Pumpkinhead Light T-Shirt

Classic T-Shirt100% preshrunk cotton, Ash Grey is a 90/10 Cotton/Poly Blend6.1 ozTagless, Crew NecklineStandard FitMachine Wash Cold
CafePress.com

Ze-Vo Brushe. PumpkinHead 1-1/2 in. Paint Brushes (6-Pack) PH6

Ze-Vo Brushe. PumpkinHead 1-1/2 in. Paint Brushes (6-Pack) PH6

Shop for Paint at The Home Depot. Featuring 100% foam handles and heads, the Ze-Vo PumpkinHead 1-1/2 in. Paint Brushes (6-Pack) are sturdy, disposable...
Home Depot