Shure I3C-T Black/White In-Ear Only Headsets

TV Ears - hear your favorite shows, without driving others batty!

Nov 7, 2005 (Updated Nov 3, 2009)

Pros:Easy to install, works great, supports multiple headsets, compatible with theaters and playhouses, too.

Cons:Won't work in the presence of florescent lights. Other than that, None!

The Bottom Line: Recommended for anyone who's a bit hard of hearing, or if your TV set just doesn't play loud enough for your liking.

Some time ago, I developed a problem with getting a clear, loud sound on certain premium cable channels like HBO and SHOWTIME on my large TV set. I called my cable company and they came out to my house and determined that the problem was with my TV set and not with their equipment. That is when I purchased a product called TV EARS HEADSET AND TRANSMITTER

What Is It?

TV Ears is a two-part mechanism. There's a transmitter and a headset/receiver. The small transmitter (5" X 7") attaches to your television set. The transmitter receives the audio signal from your tv set, and beams it to a receiver located inside the headset. The transmitter contains two troughs which hold the headset when it's not in use, and recharge the headset's battery.

How do you set it up?

The transmitter comes with a power cord - just plug it into your normal household power. It easily attaches to your TV set with the included wire - you simply connect it to your tv's audio output jack.

How does it work?

TV EARS uses wireless 95khz infrared technology to transmit sound from your TV to the headset.

Does it disturb others when you use it?

Nope! You can listen at your own volume level while others can adjust the tv's normal volume to fit theirs. Plus, you can buy a second headset separately ($99) and two people can adjust the volumes to their own levels of comfort, while still enabling others to listen to the tv unaided.

How does it sound?

The sound quality is very good. I can hear very clearly. Besides adjusting the volume to my personal preference, the headset also comes with a "tone" adjuster. This lets me set the pitch as I like. All in all, I'm happy with the sound quality through the headset.

Additional features/notes

*If you wear hearing aids, it is recommended that you remove them when you are using this product.

*This product works with any TV except plasma screen TV. You can call the phone number listed at the end of this review to exchange your TV ears for TV ears plasma.

*Two people can use TV ears at the same time. It allows the use of two or more headsets to work with transmitter. Each headset can adjust the volume and tone independently.

*If the headset bow arms are putting too much pressure on your ears, they can be adjusted because they are made from an extremely flexible synthetic material. While I find the headset to be comfortable, others might find them a bit tight. I can wear mine for several hours, and it doesn't bother my ears at all. The headset, itself, weighs only 1.6 ounces.

*The wireless coverage area is up to 900 square feet or 50 feet line of sight. The transmitter should be placed 4-5 feet off the ground and placed on a flat surface pointing in the direction of the headset. It is best to point the transmitter at a wall so the infrared beam bounces around and floods the room with the sound signal. Don't point the transmitter at a window or glass door because the infrared signal will go through the glass and out of the room. TV ears will not work in the presence of florescent lights. I have mine in my family room. I can walk around the whole room, plus the kitchen and living room with no change in sound quality. I can not walk outside, or venture any further away than those 3 nearby rooms.

*The headset should be charged for 8 hours before using it the first time. To keep the headset charged, turn down and click off the volume dial and gently place the headset into either trough of the transmitter so that the green indicator light brightens. A fully charged battery will last approximately 10 hours. The replaceable battery pack will last up to 2 years. After that you can call their toll free number (see below) to purchase a new one.

*This unit is also compatible with most movie theaters, concert halls and playhouses. Many theaters already transmit on the 95khz frequency, so all you have to do is bring your headset with you when you head out!

How do I buy it?

While this product can be purchased at some hearing aid stores or at some flea markets, the easiest way to order it is by calling 1-888-883-3277 or by going online at www.tvears.com. I ordered it online, paying $149.00 with free shipping. It came in just a few days, packaged well, with everything I needed to attach it to my tv. All I had to do was charge the transmitter for 8 hours, then I was all set.

Final Thoughts

This was one of the best investments I have made enabling me to comfortably hear many of my favorite premium cable channel TV shows while others can watch and adjust the sound to their liking.

Shure Eawxg2-10 Wax Guards For Shure E2c Earphones Headphones In-ear 5 Pair

Shure Eawxg2-10 Wax Guards For Shure E2c Earphones Headphones In-ear 5 Pair

Shure EAWXG2-10 Wax Guards for Shure E2c Earphones, 5 Pairs Product Features Includes 5 pairs of Wax Guards.For use with E2 and E2c Sound Isolating Ea...

6 Shure Ear Tips In-ear Bud Earphones Headphone Sleeves

6 Shure Ear Tips In-ear Bud Earphones Headphone Sleeves

6 Pieces (3 Pairs) Triple Flange Sleeves fits SHURE, Westone, Etymotic and other brands In-Ear Earphones. DESCRIPTION: Brand New 6 pieces (3 Pairs) Tr...

Shure - SE215 Sound-Isolating In-Ear Stereo Earphones, Translucent Black - BUNDLE - with C

Shure SE215 Sound-Isolating In-Ear Stereo Earphones, Translucent Black - BUNDLE - with Shure CBL-M+-K-EFS iPhone & iPod Headphone Cable with Mic and R...
Adorama

Shure Se535 In-ear Only Headphones - Clear

Shure Se535 In-ear Only Headphones - Clear

shure se 535 in ear only headphones clear product features built with three high definition microdrivers the shure se 535 earphones deliver excellent ...

Shure Se215 Single-driver In-ear Monitors With Detachable Cables, Clear

Shure Se215 Single-driver In-ear Monitors With Detachable Cables, Clear

Home Guitars Bass Amps / Effects Folk Instruments Drums Live Sound Keyboards Recording Accessories Store Pages Store Categories Shure SE215 Single-dri...

Shure SE215 Sound Isolating In-Ear Earphones, Transparent Black

Shure SE215 Sound Isolating In-Ear Earphones, Transparent Black

Evolved from personal monitor technology that's been road-tested by pro musicians, the Shure SE215 features Dynamic MicroDrivers that deliver detailed...
zZounds.com

Shure - SE215 Sound-Isolating In-Ear Stereo Earphones, Clear - BUNDLE - with CBL-M+-K-EFS

Shure SE215 Sound-Isolating In-Ear Stereo Earphones, Clear - BUNDLE - with Shure CBL-M+-K-EFS iPhone & iPod Headphone Cable with Mic and Remote, Inclu...
Adorama

Shure Se215 Earbuds Single Driver Black In Ear Monitors Headphones

Shure Se215 Earbuds Single Driver Black In Ear Monitors Headphones

Shure SE215 Black Earbuds Looking for excellent in-ear monitors? Not looking to spend a fortune? Check out the SE215 earphones from Shure. You may not...

Shure SE215 Sound Isolating In-Ear Earphones, Clear