Sigma Aspherical IF Macro 28-135 mm F/3.8-5.6 Aspherical IF Lens For Minolta Reviews

Sigma Aspherical IF Macro 28-135 mm F/3.8-5.6 Aspherical IF Lens For Minolta

A good 'in between' zoom lens

Aug 25, 2004

Pros:- cost
- macro facility
- versatility
- good travel lens

Cons:- thread size
- it's not a 28-300!

The Bottom Line: A very good budget travel lens that covers most of the bases. A good one until you can afford a 28-300!

This was, for me, a step up from the zoom lenses I had been using by Minolta and Sigma (see my review of the Sigma 28-80mm for Minolta) inasmuch as there was an extra 55mm of zoom - all those extra possibilities!

I describe this is as an 'in between' lens because I suppose what I've really got my eyes on are the new super zooms going from 28-300mm. Maybe I'll wait until my birthday.

This lens was bought as part of a package for someone else and I sacrificed my existing silver colored Minolta 28-80mm lens (Minolta AF 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 II Zoom Lens (Silver)"), which I was happy to do because it didn't have a separate macro facility - unlike the older model that I also possess and am very happy with. This means that I can't be accurate about the price it cost but probably around $100 + the cost of the 28-80mm.

What I like most about this lens is twofold:
1. The range of the zoom - 28mm lets you get wide enough for most landscape work, whereas the 135mm end is good for both portraits and for some long distance work. I've used it at games of cricket with good effect even though at f/5.6 it's not a particularly 'fast' lens. It's easy to get over that though with some fast film. On medium bright days 400 asa is perfectly good enough at all zoom lengths. Thus, this is a very good lens to travel with, rather than schlepping around with a bunch of (no doubt very good, but somewhat bulky) prime lenses.

2. The macro is what does it for me though. As with the 28-80, there is a little macro switch that you flick at the top end of the zoom, which lets you get in nice and close. As with the 28-80mm it's also a 1:2 macro - so half actual size. One day I'll get a true macro but in the meantime this lens' performance at the macro end is fab - clear and crisp images, good, quick autofocus. As with the 28-80 though, it takes some getting used to getting out of macro mode - you have to basically focus on infinity to be able to switch the switch back to 'normal' mode.

I have found the barrel movement to be smooth and easy, but not so loose that it slips down when you have to shoot facing the ground - gravity may suck, but it doesn't suck hard enough for this lens.

I also like the fact that this also has a metal mount. It makes it feel more substantial in its use although it really is not a particularly heavy lens when compared to equivalent Minolta lenses.

My experience with Sigma has (touch wood) been pretty good and this confirms that view. I rate them highly although I am vaguely suspicious that they won't last as well as the actual Minolta lenses have demonstrated that they do. Sigmas are more cheaply made but that means that they are, doh, cheaper to buy, which can only be a good thing for aspiring photographers!

The thread size on this puppy is 62mm. A little excessive maybe, considering how slow a lens this is - and I assume that this is one of the ways that costs are cut. That said, my Minolta 24-85mm also has a 62mm thread, so they can share my Cokin adapter rings and my blue indoor photography filter...

Sigma 28mm F/1.8 Aspherical Macro Lens For Sony 440205

Sigma 28mm F/1.8 Aspherical Macro Lens For Sony 440205

SIGMA 28mm F1.8 EX DG ASPHERICAL MACRO Lens (for Sony) We are SIGMA Authorized Dealers Features: Super Multi Coating reduces flare and ghosting that t...

Sigma 24mm f/1.8 EX DG Aspherical Macro Large Aperture Wide Angle Lens for Minolta and Sony SLR Cameras

Sigma 24mm f/1.8 EX DG Aspherical Macro Large Aperture Wide Angle Lens

Sigma 24mm f/1.8 EX DG Aspherical Macro Large Aperture Wide Angle Lens

Sigma 24mm f/1.8 EX DG Aspherical Macro Large Aperture Wide Angle Lens for Pentax and Samsung DSLR Cameras

Sigma Wide Angle 28mm F/1.8 (d) Ex Aspherical Dg Df Macro Af Lens For Sony

Sigma Wide Angle 28mm F/1.8 (d) Ex Aspherical Dg Df Macro Af Lens For Sony

Sigma Wide Angle 28mm f/1.8 (D) EX Aspherical DG DF Macro Autofocus Lens for So Click to Enlarge Items Included: Front Rear Lenscaps,Hood,Case,1-Year ...

Sigma Wide Angle 24mm f/1.8 EX Aspherical DG D Macro Autofocus Lens

Sigma Wide Angle 24mm f/1.8 EX Aspherical DG D Macro Autofocus Lens

Sigma Wide Angle 24mm f/1.8 EX Aspherical DG D Macro Autofocus Lens for Sony Alpha and Minolta Maxxum

Sigma 24mm F/1.8 Ex Dg Aspherical Wide Macro For Pentax. U.s. Authorized Dealer

Sigma 24mm F/1.8 Ex Dg Aspherical Wide Macro For Pentax. U.s. Authorized Dealer

Sigma 24mm f/1.8 EX DG Aspherical Macro Large Aperture Wide Angle Lens for Pentax SLR Cameras Categories: Wide Angle Typical Photography: Landscape, W...

SIGMA 24mm F1.8 EX DG Aspherical Macro Lens - For Sony

SIGMA 24mm F1.8 EX DG Aspherical Macro Lens - For Sony

Type Wide Angle Lens Compatibility For Sony Diameter 77mm Focus Type Auto Focus Features The large aperture wide-angle lens for close up photography. ...

Sigma - 24mm f/1.8 EX DG ASP Macro Lens for Select Sony Digital Cameras - Black

Sigma - 24mm f/1.8 EX DG ASP Macro Lens for Select Sony Digital Cameras - Black

Shoot a wide area using this Sigma 432205 24mm f/1.8 EX DG ASP macro lens that features a 84.1 angle of view for capturing crisp photos of landscapes ...
Best Buy