Empire Brands Silver Maple Tree, 36-48 Inch

3 consumer reviews
Average Product Rating: Excellent

Silver Maple Tree A Gorgeous Deciduous Shade Tree

Jul 29, 2009

Pros:Gorgeous shade tree; silvery leaves underneath; grows rapidly; cold hardy and poor soil tolerant

Cons:Maple is soft wood making it susceptible to storm damage

The Bottom Line: Just because maple is a soft wood and can damage easily, I still highly recommend this gorgeous tree for its beauty and shade.

We recently moved to a new home and our homeowner's association rules states that homeowners must plant two maple trees by the street within one year of buying their new home so we bought one silver maple and one red maple tree and planted them last year.

What It Is

The Silver Maple Tree is a fast growing oval shaped deciduous tree that is very cold hardy.  It is a popular tree that is placed along the streets of residential areas for shade purposes as well as its beauty due to its thick foliage.  The mature Silver Maple will become large as its height will grow 50 - 70' tall and it has a spread of 40 - 60' therefore homeowners need to take precaution as to where they first plant this tree as it needs room to develop.

The Silver Maple tree has strong spreading branches that grow upwards-becoming vase shaped with age.  They have been known to live 130 years.

The tree grows well in full or partial sun and is known to thrive in poor soil.  It recovers well from floods and wetlands and actually transplants very easily.

The Silver Maple tree is called this due to its leaves is silvery white underneath.  They first appear as light green and they turn to a beautiful brilliant yellow in the fall.

The Silver Maple tree thrives in most zones taking in zones 3-9.

One strong warning regarding the wood of maple is considered to be a soft wood making it susceptible to storm damage from severe winds or ice storms.   It also has very vigorous feeder roots that have been known to crack sidewalks.

Our Experience

We had never planted a Silver Maple before, but its leaves were so beautiful and had a different shade and shape that we chose this to be one of our maples to place along the street.  If it wasn't for the rules of the home owners association to plant maples we would not have chosen a maple due to the maintenance involved in the raking of the leaves in the fall when the tree starts growing.

In the town we live in there is a variety of homes dating from the late 1800's to present and the trees are enormous in the earlier years homes.  Most homeowners planted their trees right next to their home causing them now problems with the roots and their sewer systems as in the case of our daughter's home built in 1908 with two large maple trees.  I don't think people thought much back then and some don't now as to how large some trees become and the room that they need to develop properly without causing damage.

I have seen many mature Silver Maples around town and they are gorgeous and are highly regarded as a shade tree.  I see people in the city parks sitting under them reading enjoying the shade that it provides.

However, since we did buy two maples to keep in compliance with the rules, I am so glad we bought the Silver Maple tree as it is very different than the rest with its vase shape and its silvery white underneath leaves and it is growing at a very rapid rate as it has doubled in size from 4 feet to 8 feet from one year ago.

When we planted ours, we did put a stake by it with string, however, we have found it is best not to keep the stake on for more than a year as all trees need to grow strong by their selves and ours has done just fine when we removed the stake this year and we have had wind storms up to 60 mph with the tree swaying over but not breaking.

This past spring I noticed the Silver Maple had very small greenish yellow to red flowers as well as the budding of the little leaves.   I was so thankful that it survived our worst snowiest winter recorded since the 1940's so this tree is definitely cold snow hardy.

I highly recommend this beautiful shade tree but you need to be careful where you plant it since it will grow tall and its roots will spread out.  Look for an area where it's roots will not interfere with your underground plumbing systems.  After it starts to grow tall and wide it needs to be looked after for signs of bad branches and insect damage.

Happy planting!

19.5-Gallon Silver Maple Tree (L1124) NURSERY

19.5-Gallon Silver Maple Tree (L1124) NURSERY

Deciduous, rapid growing tree. Light green foliage. Yellow fall foliage.

Garden Supply. 2 gal. Sugar Maple Tree

Garden Supply. 2 gal. Sugar Maple Tree

Shop for Garden Center at The Home Depot. Native to the eastern USA, this hardwood tree is best known for its sap, which is tapped to make maple syrup...

Maple Tree Seeds Stratified Trident Korean Amur Hedge Oliver

Maple Tree Seeds Stratified Trident Korean Amur Hedge Oliver

Your Choice- Maple Tree Seeds (stratified in sprouting bags) 25+ seeds each All of these make excellent bonsai, yard, and garden trees! Trident Maple ...

5.5-Gallon Sugar Maple Tree (L1066) NURSERY

5.5-Gallon Sugar Maple Tree (L1066) NURSERY

Large, upright maple tree. Green foliage on spreading limbs. Brilliant fall leaf colors.

Garden Supply. 5 gal. Red Sunset Maple Tree

Garden Supply. 5 gal. Red Sunset Maple Tree

Shop for Garden Center at The Home Depot. A vigorous, strongly branched, deciduous tree with a symmetrical habit. Lustrous, glossy green summer foliag...

Red Maple Tree Seeds A. Rubrum Excellent For Japanese Bonsai  Sun - Part Shade

Red Maple Tree Seeds A. Rubrum Excellent For Japanese Bonsai Sun - Part Shade

This is a Multiple Variation style listing. Use the Choose Quantity drop-down menu, above, to select Quantity, Weight, Amount of Seeds .(Out of Stock)...

Garden Supply. 2 gal. Autumn Blaze Maple Tree

Garden Supply. 2 gal. Autumn Blaze Maple Tree

Shop for Garden Center at The Home Depot. An upright, fast growing, deciduous tree with medium green leaves, turning scarlet red in autumn before drop...

3.25-Gallon Shantung Maple Tree (L6789) NURSERY

3.25-Gallon Shantung Maple Tree (L6789) NURSERY

Medium size deciduous tree. Excellent specimen tree. Broad, spreading canopy.
Lowe's

Red Maple Tree Seeds - A. Rubrum - Excellent For Japanese Bonsai  Sun Part Shade

Red Maple Tree Seeds - A. Rubrum - Excellent For Japanese Bonsai Sun Part Shade

S H is a COMBINED FLAT RATE regardless of how many items you buy from us ~!!This is a Multiple Variation style listing. Use the Choose Quantity drop-d...