Simmons Optics Simmons BackCare Mattress Reviews

Simmons Optics Simmons BackCare Mattress

67 consumer reviews
Average Product Rating: OK

Don't Take Bad Mattresses Laying Down! (Buy A Good One)

Mar 27, 2001 (Updated Mar 29, 2001)

Pros:Proper support that "gives" to achieve amazing comfort. Never need to flip or rotate it!

Cons:This is a premium mattress, therefore it costs much more than the advertised "specials".

The Bottom Line: The Simmons BackCare Ultimate Supreme mattress is a premium set that is firm yet plush. Twice the price of the advertised specials, the comfort and durability are worth it.

The Simmons BackCare Ultimate Supreme is a fine, premium mattress that, although about twice as expensive as the mattresses most often adverstised by stores, is reasonably priced for the quality you get for your money. This "No-flip" mattress has about 700 heavy gauge coils and a "coil over coil" design to ensure proper support and durability. Its comfortable, plush top gives enough so that this firm mattress also allows natural alignment and comfort in any sleeping position. After having this mattress for over a month, my wife and I are kicking ourselves for skimping on our bedding in the past.

The Reviewed Model: Simmons BackCare Ultimate Supreme Inglewood

Please note that that Simmons makes several models of their BackCare mattress, from lower-end models to premium models. This review is of the high-end, Simmons BackCare Ultimate Supreme, which has a list price of around $2,199 for the queen size mattress and box spring set. We ended up paying (after some comparison shopping and haggling) $1,799.00 for the queen set with free delivery and set-up, a free steel bed frame, free mattress pad and orthopedic pillows and free removal of our old bedding. It was purchased from a Sleepy's mattress shop on Long Island, NY.

The "Inglewood" may or may not be a Sleepy's exclusive, but I believe that one should be able to find versions of the Simmons BackCare Ultimate Supreme mattress at most major mattress stores.

Pete and Diane Wear Out Their Bed!

Well, my wife and I were married in 1980 and we bought a King Koil Chiropractic Care mattress and foundation at that time. We had it from when were were in our twenties through our forties. (There was a five year period that it was stored because it wouldn't fit into an apartment we had, but it still had almost 15 years of use.) Needless to say, the old mattress was well-used and worn out. We needed a new one for some time, but we just seemed not to get around to it. Finally, with our forty-something backs getting cranky from the old mattress, we bit the bullet and went out and bought a new one.

Try Out Every Mattress In The Store!

When we went shopping for the new mattress the first thing we did was tell the sales representative that we were just browsing. We then proceeded to try every mattress he had on display, regardless of price. It took a while, but it was well worth it.

When my wife Diane got on the Simmons BackCare Ultimate Supreme, she knew immediately that she loved the mattress. She had me try it and I had to agree, even though the $2,199 price tag was more than twice what I thought we would be spending on a mattress. The support was firm and the mattress felt very substantial beneath us, but the softly padded top gave enough so that it did not feel hard and did not feel like it was fighting your body. Instead, it seemed to envelope you a bit while properly supporting your body. It also does not move much when your partner turns over or gets up. Both the mattress and the box spring are over one foot thick each, so together you are elevated over two feet above the bed frame.

We double-checked ourselves before making our final decision by trying every premium mattress in the place again to compare it to the BackCare Ultimate Supreme, but we did not find one that we liked nearly as much. We tried some mattresses by Stearns and Foster that were similarly priced, but did not like them as much because they did not seem to have the same type of firm but flexible support.

The lower priced mattresses in the store that had been advertised in the newspaper ads just did not come close to the quality and comfort of this one. After trying them in the store, we knew that the only mattress we could consider was one of the premium sets. Yes, you might see $500 to $900 queen sets advertised, but they really appear only suited for your kids or a guest room. They have about half the number of coils inside and they feel like it!

My wife and I bought a full size Sealy Posturpedic mattress set a few years ago for about $500 while we were in that apartment that could not accommodate our queen set. That Sealy is not nearly the bed this one is, but it works well in our guest bedroom. You spend a lot of time in bed, take some advice from one who now knows better: It does not pay to skimp on your mattress!

Five Zones?

The support by the BackCare Ultimate Supreme mattress is divided into five zones, properly supporting the head, neck, upper back, lower back and the legs with somewhat different levels of firmness and allowing the right amount of give to properly align your body while sleeping. However they achieve this, it works! We have both slept better than we have in a long time due to the comfort of the new bed.

No-Flipping The Mattress!

The coils are heavy gauge (ask to compare the coil gauge to other mattresses if you find a mattress that you like) and there are about 700 of them in a "coil over coil" or two layer design. Because of the heavy internal construction of the coils and the padding, you never have to rotate or flip this bed!. The guarantee is for 10 years, and unlike other beds, you do not void it by not flipping or rotating because you are not required to. Indeed, the other side of the mattress is not designed to be slept upon, so you could not flip this one if you wanted to.

Do Some Comparison Shopping

If you do not mind paying full price, then you don't need to haggle at all. However, in the mattress stores the price listed on the displayed models is usually highly negotiable. In our case, the $2,199 price displayed on the mattress was quickly reduced to $1,999 when we told the salesperson that we were going to shop around. When we found another store willing to sell us the same mattress for $1,799, the salesperson in the first store quickly agreed to beat the price by a few dollars. Thus, we saved $400 just by taking a little time to comparison shop. I highly recommend you do the same when shopping for a mattress.

Recommendation

The Simmons BackCare Ultimate Supreme mattress is a fine, premium mattress that actually does not cost that much more than the low priced sets when you consider the increased quality you get for your money. Whether you sleep on your side, your back or your stomach (or try out all three during the night like your reviewer) this mattress offers firm support and plush comfort at the same time. Because of its sturdy coil structure you also do not disturb your partner much when turning over or moving during the night. Definitely try one out in the store if you are looking for a mattress and see if you agree.

In general, I recommend that adults purchase premium mattresses if they have the means, or try to save to get one and avoid the lower priced sets. I too was one of those that did not put a lot of thought into mattress purchases in the past and concentrated too much on price when buying one. Instead, think about your mattress as an investment in your heath, comfort and well-being that you will have to live with a long time and will affect you just about every night.

I highly recommend this mattress to anyone interested in a premium set and award it 5 STARS because of its combination of quality and value. I think I'll go take a nap!

Twin Mattress $299 Simmons Beautyrest Elements Plush Mattress

Twin Mattress $299 Simmons Beautyrest Elements Plush Mattress

Simmons Beautyrest Twin Mattress $299 Bunk Bed King for LOW PRICES and FREE SHIPPING TWIN SIMMONS BEAUTYREST MATTRESS $299 FREE SHIPPING Nationwide * ...

Full Simmons Curv So Chic Mattress

Full Simmons Curv So Chic Mattress

US Mattress has the lowest price on the Full Simmons Curv So Chic Mattress guaranteed.
US - Mattress

Simmons Studio 6 Foam Mattress, Full Size

Simmons Studio 6 Foam Mattress, Full Size

Enjoy a restorative night's sleep at a great value with the Simmons Studio Foam Mattress. This all-foam mattress provides superior pressure relief and...

Simmons Polyester Mattress Pad; Twin Extra Long

Simmons Polyester Mattress Pad; Twin Extra Long

Guaranteed to fit pillow top mattress. Material: 50% nylon, 50% polyester
Quill.com

Full Simmons Curv Amazing Style Mattress

Full Simmons Curv Amazing Style Mattress

US Mattress has the lowest price on the Full Simmons Curv Amazing Style Mattress guaranteed.
US - Mattress

Simmons Spa Luxury Mattress Pad B95CN Size: Full

Simmons Spa Luxury Mattress Pad B95CN Size: Full

Size: Full Simmons B95CN Protect your mattress from stains and damage with this durable mattress pad from Beautyrest. Guaranteed to fit any depth matt...
Wayfair

Simmons Full Mattress

Simmons Full Mattress

Simmons® Full Mattress.617 Coils.
CB2