Simmons Optics Simmons Beautyrest Mattress Reviews

Simmons Optics Simmons Beautyrest Mattress

Epinions Product Rating: OK

Simmons Beautyrest Mattress Remains Supportive No Matter How Often We Turn Our Backs on It

May 8, 2003

Pros:independent coils -- toss and turn without ousting your spouse, tightly-woven cover, excellent sleep comfort

Cons:none, except that it's not portable for travel!

The Bottom Line: This mattress may actually outlive the warranty. When we do need to replace it we have no doubt we'll return for another Simmons.

The Simmons Beautyrest Mattress of the Royal Luxury line has remained a solid backer of Husband of Mine and me for 12 years. When visiting relatives or on business travel, dear Husband has only one wish: to go home to his comfortable bed and get a good night's sleep again.

The Prince and the Pea

Husband of Mine is the type who thinks he is not picky or difficult in any way, shape or form. To this, I can only say, "HA!" Begging to differ only encourages his argument, of course, as he is quite blind to these faults, whereas I know I'm picky and difficult and freely admit it.

Why does this matter? These "faults" helped us find the perfect mattress.

We chose a Simmons Beautyrest Mattress after seeing advertisements for the trademark "pocketed coil construction" which has proven its worth over the years with restless nights, wakeful children and the general sleep movement each of us make.

Other mattress makers got a look-see, a sit-down and even a "test nap" before we made our final decision. Spending hundreds of dollars on a mattress is not something we wanted to do more than a few times in our lifetime, so the decision wasn't an easy one.

Some important factors in our search included:

• Husband's almost-constant lower back discomfort
• our size -- I'm 5' 11-3/4", Husband is 6' 2"
• our dislike of mattresses that don't "give a little" and that act more like the Tilt-A-Whirl at a carnival rather than a supportive sleep surface

Even Before You Lie on It . . .

The Simmons Beautyrest Mattress is available in several levels of comfort, and the first step was to judge by the cover -- if it looked like a hotel-grade cover, the mattress (I once worked as a hotel maid) was on the cheap end. If the cover looked like we should put up velvet ropes and only look at it reverently, that meant "high end". We aimed for the middle-high grade, or "Royal Luxury" in the Simmons Beautyrest Mattress line.

What Brought Simmons Beautyrest to Rest in Our Home

The pocketed coils of the Simmons Beautyrest Mattress allow each spring to move independently in a definite up-and-down motion, rather than in a slightly-sideways movement of standard innerspring mattresses (hence, the Tilt-A-Whirl effect). While these independent motions allow for less overall movement of the mattress, they don't completely solve the problem of movement -- you won't be able to jump on one side of the bed and have the other person not sit bolt-upright in surprise/irritation/anger/fear, but you will be able to sleep more soundly with normal movement and even with someone getting up and lying down again, without feeling much motion.

Sitting on the bed showed the "pocketed coil" difference immediately, as the opposite side of the bed didn't even shimmy a little. Only the areas on which we sat, along with a small area around it, moved with us.

Lying on the bed showed even more plainly the difference. The pocketed coils moved more under the heavier parts of our bodies, allowing for better alignment of your body while resting in any position. A standard spring configuration will only bend a bit more under heavier weight, whereas the individual springs can move as much as you need them to move. We could feel this, and it felt right.

We opted for a Queen mattress, allowing our tall selves enough space -- not to sprawl in any direction, but to fit comfortably with some room to spare. If a child needs comfort in the night and wants to snuggle in with us, it works -- it's not roomy, but "snuggle" is the operative word here. This is the only time my husband offers a complaint about this mattress, and it's that if the kids are going to hop in with us he wants to upgrade to King size. I offer to carry his pillow while he transfers to one of their beds ...

We still have the Queen size.

We All Need Some Support

I never experienced back problems prior to sleeping on the Simmons Beautyrest Mattress and didn't for a long, long, time. However, having children gave me an inside track to some of that pain and discomfort. It wasn't until the "small child" years that I understood my husband's longing for our Simmons Beautyrest Mattress when away from home.

The pocketed coils of the mattress really do move with your body where more support or less support is needed. This construction allows the mattress to move with you where you need it, rather than just offering a little slant in this direction or that, as with standard mattresses.

This makes a real difference when there are two people sharing the mattress. The Simmons Beautyrest Mattress supports two people of unequal weight without on tipping toward the middle or having to use grapple hooks to remain on one side of the bed.

Turning over a New Mattress

Our Simmons Beautyrest Mattress is old enough to have missed newer technology that doesn't require turning of the mattress periodically. I'm not feeling the need to rush out and purchase one simply for that feature, but it's a nice development, for sure.

We turned our mattress top to bottom or side to side once month for the first 6 months -- tightly-attached nylon grips on each side made this easier -- and then about every three months after that. This minimizes wear on certain areas and gives the entire mattress more even wear.

To date, ours shows no hills or valleys, low spots or worn spots. In fact, it still looks and feels brand new. The mattress itself -- the independent coils -- make no noise. The only sound we hear, which is very little, comes from either the box spring or the frame, and I'm betting on the frame for this one, being that it's a metal-on-metal sound.

The mattress, even after 12 years, isn't talking back.

Years of Testing with Complete Satisfaction

Business and personal travel have only intensified Husband's feelings for our Simmons Beautyrest Mattress. In fact, he likes our Simmons so much I am tired of hearing about it. His response? "Good thing we have a really good mattress." Clearly, comedy is not his forté.

This mattress may actually outlive the warranty (25 years). When we do need to replace it we'll return for another Simmons, rest assured.

Simmons Beautyrest Elements Plush Mattress Full

Simmons Beautyrest Elements Plush Mattress Full

FREE SHIPPING - Simmons Beautyrest Elements Full Mattress - Made by Simmons - Brand New in a factory sealed Express Pack box - not a return, floor mod...
Bunk Bed King

Twin Mattress $299 Simmons Beautyrest Elements Plush Mattress

Twin Mattress $299 Simmons Beautyrest Elements Plush Mattress

Simmons Beautyrest Twin Mattress $299 Bunk Bed King for LOW PRICES and FREE SHIPPING TWIN SIMMONS BEAUTYREST MATTRESS $299 FREE SHIPPING Nationwide * ...

Simmons Beautyrest Elements Plush Mattress Twin

Simmons Beautyrest Elements Plush Mattress Twin

FREE SHIPPING - Simmons Beautyrest Elements Twin Mattress - Made by Simmons - Brand New in a factory sealed Express Pack box - not a return, floor mod...
Bunk Bed King

Simmons Beautyrest Firewall Mattress & Foundation Cover

Simmons Beautyrest Firewall Mattress & Foundation Cover

Simmons Beautyrest FireWall Mattress Foundation Cover 2 piece Set- King.This auction includes a Simmons Beautyrest FireWall Mattress Foundation Cover ...

Full Simmons Beautyrest Black Hope Plush Mattress

Full Simmons Beautyrest Black Hope Plush Mattress

The Simmons Beautyrest Black Hope Plush Mattress comes in Cal King, King, Queen, Full, and Twin XL mattress sizes.
US - Mattress

Simmons Beautyrest Spa Luxury Mattress Pad B95CN

Simmons Beautyrest Spa Luxury Mattress Pad B95CN

Simmons Beautyrest B95CN Protect your mattress from stains and damage with this durable mattress pad from Beautyrest. Guaranteed to fit any depth mat...
Wayfair

Simmons Beautyrest Black Hope Plush Mattress:

Simmons Beautyrest Black Hope Plush Mattress:

Mattress - - : Features: Comfort Rating: Plush Mattress Height: 14.5 Mattress Layer Breakdown: Quilt: 1.25 AirFeel Foam .75 GelTouch Foam Comfort Lay...

Simmons® Beautyrest Wicks Lake Firm Mattress Set - Full

Simmons® Beautyrest Wicks Lake Firm Mattress Set - Full

Simmons® Beautyrest Wicks Lake Firm Mattress SetSleep happy. Everyone deserves to wake up refreshed, restored and recharged. The support technology an...
HSN