Simmons Optics Simmons Beautyrest World Class Mattresses With Memory Foam Plush Reviews

Simmons Optics Simmons Beautyrest World Class Mattresses With Memory Foam Plush

My beauty sleep turned into a nightmare.

May 8, 2005 (Updated May 8, 2005)

Pros:Removable top, construction, design

Cons:Not firm enough, too warm, needs special sheets

The Bottom Line: The bottomline is happy that she's back in her house and her bed.

Our last "weekend project" of remodeling the bedroom turned out to be a weeklong project. I'll spare you the details, but I now know that there's not a straight wall in that room and that laying wood floors is not as easy as it looks.

We could have slept on the couches, but chose to spend the last three nights at the in-laws guestroom.

Because the in-laws never do anything cheap, we didn't end up with a ho-hum mattress on the guestbed, but with a Simmons Beautyrest Mattress. Needless to say I badgered them for the book that came with the mattress, so I can give Epinions readers all the details of this mattress.

There are several different styles of the Simmons World Class Mattress. The one I am reviewing here is the SIMMONS WORLD CLASS HEALTH SMART Mattress.

OVERALL DESIGN

While putting the sheets on, I noticed that this mattress is a bit thicker than an ordinary 8-inch mattress. It actually is 15-inches thick. This requires that you have to buy deep pocket sheets, because regular fitted sheets won't fit. We brought our King size comforter from home, but the in-laws have a queen size comforter on the bed and it seems a bit short. I think that's because of the thicker mattress.

The thickness of this mattress is a bit of a negative for me. With the 15-inch mattress and the matching 9-inch boxspring, the whole set sits two feet above the bedframe. For a relatively short person like me this is too high. I am 5'5" and anyone shorter than that might have real problems getting in and out of bed.

According to the booklet from Simmons, there is a double layer of coils and the coils are clad in "motion absorbing" foam. The edges of the mattress are also clad in foam and so is the top layer of this mattress. The inner layer of foam is a latex blend, so be careful if you have severe latex allergies. I am somewhat allergic to latex, but did not break out or suffered any kind of allergic reaction. I think the latex part is so deep in this mattress, that it doesn't bother me.

The top two inches of this mattress look like they have a pillowtop on them, but they don't. It's just that this part of the mattress is sewn on with a bit of a gap on the end. This part acutally comes apart with a zipper so the top of the mattress can be cleaned. It did not say in the booklet whether this is dryclean only or can be machine washed and my mother in law has not tried it yet. I wondered about this feature and only after I slept on the mattress did I figure out why they make it that way.

The mattress we slept on was a queen size, but it is also available in other sizes (Full, King, California King). It is marketed under the Simmons name with the words Beautyrest World Class attached. These names can also be found on the label. Simmons makes many different types and styles of mattresses and several World Class type mattresses.

QUALITY OF CONSTRUCTION AND DURABILITY

Both the boxspring and mattress seemed very sturdy. Now this was in a guest room that does not see very much traffic and gets used only about three month each year. The mattress was purchased about a year ago. I can't really comment on durability, because it does not get used that often. But the construction of the boxspring seemed very good. The wooden frame on the edge seemed a bit wider than a regular box spring and the wooden slats that go from side to side also seemed wider. I had Hubby pick this thing up and he commented on the substantial weight. He never says anything when we turn our mattress, so I think that means something.

The edges of the mattress are bound with a thick cord. I could not find any visible seams. The top and sides of the mattress are quilted in a diamond pattern and have little tone-on-tone designs on them. I am not sure if this is the only pattern available.

So looks, design, quality are all five stars. Sleeping on it is a totally different story.

SLEEPING

I like a firm mattress. This is strictly personal and should in no way detract from my overall review. But despite being billed as extra-firm, this mattress only offered a medium firmness that seemed to get worse as the night went on. I woke up at about 3AM, having gone to bed at midnight, to find myself sleeping in a hole. It felt like I had sunk into the top of the mattress. Hubby complained of the same thing the next morning. We did ask the inlaws about it and they said that another guest had complained about the same thing.

I am also not sure if all this added foam padding doesn't have an impact on ventilation. Simmons claims in their bookle that the memory foam in this mattress is ventilated and should make for cool sleeping, but somehow I doubt that. I am nowhere near menopause and have never had problems with nightsweats, but this mattress had me soaked in a cold sweat. So much so that I woke up about twice each night. I now know why the top is washable. Guess all that sweat makes for a pretty stinky mattress otherwise.

Simmons also claims that all this extra foam padding will dampen motion. I take this to mean that if Hubby tosses and turns, I won't wake up. This statement might well be true for people of average height and weight. But Hubby is 6'3" and weighs about 225lbs. I had to poke him in the ribs, because he did his snoring routine a bit too loud and when he rolled over I could feel it all the way over on my side. I could also feel it everytime the dog jumped on the bed and she only weighs 23 lbs. It's more like a tidal wave - bounce on one side and the movement continues all over the bed.

OVERALL RECOMMENDATION

At a retail price of almost $1300.00 (sale price) for the queen set, I had expected a much better quality from this mattress.

As far as design and quality of construction are concerned, this one wins hands down. But the sleeping quality brings the five-star rating down to about two stars. I am sure that there are a lot of better matresses out there, especially for this price. Simmons is a leader in mattresses, but I wonder if they have gotten a bit complacent when they jumped on the memory foam bandwagon. Being a non-flip mattress is not enough to justify the high price, even much more reasonably priced mattresses nowadays are non-flip.

I recommend that you look at lots of other mattresses first before making a commitment to this one.

WARRANTY

Simmons offers a ten - year warranty on this mattress.

Items covered under the warranty are:

Manufacturing defects

Body indentations of 1.5 inches or greater

Noise or squeaks in the boxspring. That's pretty much it.

Items not covered are:

Mattress fabric

Merchandise sold “as-is”, “distressed” or “floor model”

Handles are also not covered, but this is a moot point, because this one does not have handles.

I know that some of you might say that three nights is not enough for a qualified review, but based on our experience and the information from other guests, I think that I know enough about this mattress to write this review. I don't think the quality of my sleep would have changed if I'd have slept on it a few more nights.

Simmons Beautyrest Elements Plush Mattress Full

Simmons Beautyrest Elements Plush Mattress Full

FREE SHIPPING - Simmons Beautyrest Elements Full Mattress - Made by Simmons - Brand New in a factory sealed Express Pack box - not a return, floor mod...
Bunk Bed King

Twin Mattress $299 Simmons Beautyrest Elements Plush Mattress

Twin Mattress $299 Simmons Beautyrest Elements Plush Mattress

Simmons Beautyrest Twin Mattress $299 Bunk Bed King for LOW PRICES and FREE SHIPPING TWIN SIMMONS BEAUTYREST MATTRESS $299 FREE SHIPPING Nationwide * ...

Simmons Beautyrest Elements Plush Mattress Twin

Simmons Beautyrest Elements Plush Mattress Twin

FREE SHIPPING - Simmons Beautyrest Elements Twin Mattress - Made by Simmons - Brand New in a factory sealed Express Pack box - not a return, floor mod...
Bunk Bed King

Simmons Beautyrest® World Class Hopeful Dreams Mattress, Plush Firm

Simmons Beautyrest® World Class Hopeful Dreams Mattress, Plush Firm

The Simmons Beautyrest World Class Hopeful Dreams Mattress has many layers of high-performance convoluted foams and Celestra that provide enhanced sup...

Simmons Beautyrest Firewall Mattress & Foundation Cover

Simmons Beautyrest Firewall Mattress & Foundation Cover

Simmons Beautyrest FireWall Mattress Foundation Cover 2 piece Set- King.This auction includes a Simmons Beautyrest FireWall Mattress Foundation Cover ...

Simmons Beautyrest World Class Contender 12.5 Firm Mattress: Full

Simmons Beautyrest World Class Contender 12.5 Firm Mattress: Full

Set - - FULL: Individually Pocketed Coils 1.25 AirFeel Foam 1 AirCool Foam 1000 Density Pocketed Coils Ventilated AirCool BeautyEdge Foam Encase...

Simmons Beautyrest Recharge Tania Plush Full Size Mattress

Simmons Beautyrest Recharge Tania Plush Full Size Mattress

Simmons Beautyrest Recharge Tania - Full Size Brand New Includes 20 Year Warranty, Plush Comfort Level, 10.5 Mattress Height, Up to 1, 046 Beautyrest ...
FactoryOutletStore

Full Simmons Beautyrest Recharge World Class Phillipsburg Plush Mattress

Full Simmons Beautyrest Recharge World Class Phillipsburg Plush Mattress

Simmons Beautyrest Recharge World Class Phillipsburg Plush Mattress comes in Cal King, King, Queen, Full XL, Full, Twin XL, and Twin mattress sizes.
US - Mattress