Simmons Optics Simmons Connoisseur Mattress Reviews

Simmons Optics Simmons Connoisseur Mattress

Simmons Beautyrest Connoisseur Mattress - The Ultimate For Sleep!

Jul 20, 2002 (Updated Sep 29, 2002)

Pros:No indentations, wonderful night's sleep, the ultimate in luxury

Cons:Pricey

The Bottom Line: I highly recommend the Connoisseur for many wonderful nights sleep without the fear of rolling into crevices.

During our 20+ years that my husband and I have been together, we have bought and replaced 5 different mattresses! We would toss and turn during the night, only to wake up with aches and pains because of the impressions imprinted in the mattress. We would constantly flip and turn the mattresses on a regular basis. Two of our mattresses were still under warranty, and we found out quickly what a hassle it is to get the company to honor their warranty. They will send a rep out to your home and use a ruler to measure your indentations that have permanently resided in your mattress. Then after constant insistence from you, they may honor their warranty but you still have to pay for another mattress based on their pro-rata formula. The new mattress comes and the same thing happens. Enough was enough. There is enough stress in our life when we are awake without having to deal with stress when you are trying to sleep.

In 1998, my husband had 2 ruptured discs in his neck and was diagnosed with disc degenerative joint disease. The mattress that we had, even though it was only 4 years old, was not helping with his medical problems with its noticeable indentations. The rep refused to replace the mattress.

Luckily in the late 1990's, Simmons came out with the Simmons Beautyrest Connoisseur Collection. The Connoisseur was offered in 4 levels of comfort and quality. We chose the Elite class in the summer of 1999.

Before I explain the differences in the classes, you first must understand the Simmons "Pocketed Coil" technology and the "UltraTex" Cushioning, both of which are trademarks of Simmons.

Pocketed Coil Technology

Unlike all other innerspring coils, "Pocketed Coil" springs are joined exclusively in the middle, designed to give you a more relaxed, comforting and undisturbed sleep. "Pocketed Coil" technology was designed to significantly reduce the transfer of motion while you are sleeping thus giving you the sleeper, an undisturbed restful night of sleep.

UltraTex Cushioning

Under the fill material is a variable-pressure foam that blends the sensual feel of latex with the durability of synthetics. UltraTex can only be produced in an atmosphere-controlled vacuum chamber. The result is softer, yet denser, more comfortable convoluted foam.

The Connoisseur Choices

Classic Class: This class offers the "Pocketed Coil" technology that reduces motion transfer and contours to the body providing custom comfort total body support. The UltraTex cushioning has 4 horizontal handles, solid brass air vents to allow the sleep set to breathe, and 24K-gold plated corner guards.

Passport Class: This class is a handcrafted system featuring a foam-encased "Pocketed Coil" technology that encompass both sides of the mattress to provide a durable edge-to-edge sleeping surface and total body support. The UltraTex cushioning has 8 horizontal handles, solid brass air vents to allow the sleep set to breathe, and 24K-gold plated corner guards.

Grand Class: This class has an edge system that takes the "Pocketed Coil" technology and places it inside the foam perimeter to create superb edge firmness and responsiveness. The UltraTex cushioning has 8 horizontal handles, solid brass air vents to allow the sleep set to breathe, and 24K-gold plated corner guards.

Elite Class: The ultimate of all the classes! This features the edge system and "Pocketed Coil" on top of "Pocketed Coil" construction. It has a special stretch-knit mattress fabric that conforms to the body, thus enhancing the "Pocketed Coil" construction. This design features power-packed, low profile individually Pocketed Coil innerspring in the pillow-top so the mattress never needs to be flipped, adding to the bed?s durability and resilience. A person buying an Elite Class would lie down upon multiple layers from top to bottom. The first layer is the pillow top layer, a lightweight mattress with the "Pocketed Coil" technology. Under the lightweight mattress, lies a thicker mattress with the "Pocketed Coil" technology and the Ultra-Tex foam. The two mattresses then lie on top of Connoisseur foundation. This class offers signature handles, solid brass air vents to allow the sleep set to breathe, and 24K-gold plated corner guards.

The Materials Used (Per Simmons)

New Zealand Wool: Combed, crimped, and blended to provide superior resiliency and insulation in the Connoisseur quilting.

Chinese Silk: Soft, bleached, and spun-grade-level. UltraSilk inserted into the Connoisseur mattress quilt caresses the body while transferring heat, which can affect the sleeper's need to toss and turn.

Mongolia Cashmere: Provides breathability and luxurious comfort in the Connoisseur quilting.

Belgium Damask Ticking: Handcrafted for the ultimate in cushioning. Belgium damask gives the mattress fabric cover an elegant look and feel.

Canadian Spruce: Employs strength and durability to anchor the Connoisseur foundation.

American Made Torsion Bars: Consists of quality carbon steel in the foundation to absorb pressure and increase support for the conforming and support layers.

Additional components added to ensure the collection?s construction include multiple layers of Beautyfoam for extraordinary support and comfort and Ultra Loft Plus, a chemically spiraled, extra plush fiber for greater resilience.

The Connoisseur foundation is engineered with the most advanced PowerFlex element ever made. The exclusively designed foundation is created from a patented four torsion bar system that features more torquing response. Also, the new higher profile element design provides 23% more working wire. These combined give the foundation extra firmness as well as strength.

Our Impressions

One of the biggest differences is our ability to go into a deep sleep. So far no compressions or crevices have occurred. Nothing will stop the progression of my husband's disc disease, but it does provide a great deal of comfort and relief on his back and neck. The mattresses take a little getting use to because they do sit up higher than your normal set. The Connoisseur mattress line was a bit more pricey but after 3 years of usage, we feel that it was money well spent, especially since we had already gone through 5 sets that just did not last.

With the Elite line of the Connoisseur, sheets are easy to fit on because I just put it on the pillowtop mattress and not both mattresses.

We still take the extra precaution of flipping the mattress occasionally but the Elite line is a lot lighter to flip than your usual thick, heavy innerspring mattress. I cannot flip the mattress by myself, not so much due to heaviness, but being a King size, due to bulkiness.

Now the Bad News

Like most of everything else on the market, Simmons has replaced this mattress with one called the "Exceptionale". The "Exceptionale" is based on the premises of the Elite Connoisseur with the exception that the upper mattress is lighter in weight. However, a King size set of this will set you back about $3800.00.

If you can find the Connoisseur at E-Bay or elsewhere, buy it, as you will love it.

Warranty

Simmons offers a 10 year pro-rata warranty.

Thank you for reading my review, and I hope you have found this helpful in your purchasing decision process.

This review is part of the "Intramural Write-Off" between Home and Garden/Pets and Health and Beauty or also known as the First Official Intramural Logorrhea!

Simmons Studio 6 Foam Mattress New. Full Size.

Simmons Studio 6 Foam Mattress New. Full Size.

Enjoy a restorative night's sleep at a great value with the Simmons Studio Foam Mattress. This all-foam mattress provides superior pressure relief and...

Simmons Sebring Black Leather Sofa - 6569-03-BLACK

Simmons Sebring Black Leather Sofa - 6569-03-BLACK

Shop for Sofas and Loveseats from Hayneedle.com! The Simmons Sebring Black Leather Sofa is not only stylish, but extremely comfortable. This sofa feat...
Hayneedle

Full Simmons BeautySleep Rossi Pillow Top Mattress

Full Simmons BeautySleep Rossi Pillow Top Mattress

The Simmons BeautySleep Rossi Pillow Top Mattress comes in Cal King, King, Queen, Full, and Twin mattress sizes.
US - Mattress

Simmons Studio 6 Foam Mattress New. Queen Size.

Simmons Studio 6 Foam Mattress New. Queen Size.

Simmons Queen Mattress

Simmons Queen Mattress

Simmons® Queen Mattress.800 Coils.
CB2

Simmons Clinical Care S600 Mattress Series

Simmons Clinical Care S600 Mattress Series

Features Protection for higher risk patients with pressure ulcers and high-risk heels Provides pressure reduction and redistributionFirm side perimete...
Cascade Healthcare Solutions