Sleep Inn O'Fallon

DON'T STAY AT THIS HOTEL

Apr 5, 2005

Pros:None

Cons:A whole freakin' lot of 'em. A customer service disaster.

The Bottom Line: Do not stay at the O'Fallon hotel. Read this review to see why.

We booked our room with this hotel over the Internet, on ChoiceHotels.com. We had elected to use a Choice Hotel as we had had excellent previous experience with Quality Inn in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. We will NEVER book over the ChoiceHotels web site again.

We have a 7-member family (2 adults, 5 children ages 14 months to 12 years) that was going on this trip to St. Louis, Missouri, and spend a week. 7 days in the hotel. The ChoiceHotels web site put us in a room with a wall bed and two sofa beds, per description on the site. However, when we arrived, we discovered that this room was actually a meeting room (said so on the sign right beside the door!). It did not have table lamps, only the large 4 ft. fluorescents. No table lamps were available to us at all. There were 24 chairs stacked in the corners of the room. There were 4-6 tables in the two closets. My wife felt like we were staying in her father's basement, the only place the hotel had room to put us.

We stayed one night.

The next morning, we went to the complimentary breakfast to find that items were empty, i.e. milk, waffle mix, Cookie Crisp cereal, biscuts and gravy. When we asked to have these items refilled, the front desk attendant (an uninspiring young woman, unmotivated) provided only 2 cups of waffle mix and had to be asked again for the milk. They were out of Cookie Crisp cereal. In fact, there wasn't any biscuits and gravy that morning as clearly advertised on a sign near the front desk! We had to ask again for more waffle mix. Finally, family fed (for the most part), we went back to our room.

I tried to access the wireless LAN with my laptop. No signal in the room. I tried in the hall. Got a weak signal. Went to the front desk area. No signal. Met another Wichita man who was having the same problem with the wireless access. The front desk attendant (same) was told by the manager (off-duty) to contact the cable company (access provider), though the problem wasn't with the access provider but the wireless access points in the hotel. We both gave up and went back to our rooms.

At the same time, we had packed some cereal of our own to help feed the kids. Back in our room, we discovered a cockroach crawling up the wall next to the small dorm refridgerator and our cereal boxes and drinking cups! My wife was considerably less happy now than before.

I brought the cockroach up to the same front desk attendant and went into the business office to try Internet access there. At no time did she approach me to try to solve my problems. I called the Choice Hotels customer service line to discover that they couldn't do anything, we had to talk to the manager of the franchised store. He was not on the premises. When the front desk attendant called him, he said we had to deal with the attendant, who couldn't do anything for us, namely provide us with a real room like the Quality Inn suite we had in OKC.

At no time did the attendant or manager apologize to us for our trouble. We made reservations with another hotel (Quality Inn) in Hannibal, Missouri, and left Sleep Inn as fast as we could. It was nearly 1 PM as we left Sleep Inn, having wasted our morning and sight-seeing time trying to have our issues resolved by the hotel.

This was two weeks ago. Though we were told an investigation would be done by Choice Hotels and that we would receive a copy of said investigation in about 1 week, we have not yet received a copy of any investigation.

We did like our Quality Inn stay in Hannibal, Missouri, however, as we had in OKC, and will continue to look for Quality Inns as we travel.