Slim Fast Meal-On-The-Go-Bar

Slim Fast Meal-On-The-Go-Bar and the Best

Jul 8, 2000 (Updated Jan 19, 2003)

Pros:It tastes good

Cons:Much too much sugar; not a Meal Replacement Bar

The Bottom Line: This is one step up from a candy bar. If you take vitamins and want a Milky Way rather than Slim Fast, go for it.

I also am jumping on the perfect bar quest. This review isn’t about a perfect one; it is about a horrible one. I do have the perfect one I just haven’t had a time to write a review on it. Rather than keeping you in suspense I will tell you about the perfect bar also.

I had never had a Slim-Fast bar until the other day. Years ago I did try the shakes a few times. This particular bar I got free on one of my freebie sites!

The cost of one bar in the stores ranges from $.89 (on sale) to $1.39. I checked on the WEB and it can be bought for $.99. That’s an excellent price considering that along with the candy bar you are getting 㦂 vitamins and minerals and it is high in calcium” (from the wrapper).

I certainly would not have paid for it. I would rather have M & Ms although this was almost as delicious and it should be! The bar contains a lot of sugar (more about this later).

The flavor I got in the mail was chocolate peanut butter. It truly was delicious and perhaps given than it does have nutritional value if you are reaching for a candy bar, the Slim-Fast Bar is the better choice. I can’t say I love it or hate it, though. I love the taste but I hate the sugar in it. I can’t recommend it either. I feel caught in a Slim-Fast limbo but I did commit for this purpose and rated it an I hate it because it is not the perfect bar.

So what is the deal with this bar? Advertised as “great tasting and is a good source of balanced nutrition..enjoy Slim-Fast everyday to help you stay fit and energetic.” (from the back of the wrapper) Not all of this is inaccurate.

Let me say here that this bar is in the diet category rather than the sports nutrition category. I am reviewing it as the latter because of the claims the wrapper makes as a meal replacement bar!

1. It was great tasting.
2. It does have nutrients

But if you look closely at the amounts you will see that the percentage of nutrients is paltry.

There are only 8 grams of protein in this bar. Given it is a meal on the go, I don’t know about you, but my average meal has about 20 grams of protein in it.

Vitamin A = 35%
Vitamin C = 35%
Calcium = 30%
Iron = 15%

In fact none of the nutrients was more than 35% of the percent daily values based on a 2,000-calorie diet.

I can’t call it a Meal Replacement Bar and I don’t understand how they can call it a diet aid with the amount of sugar and carbohydrates in it. In spite of the fact that it is only 20% fat (remember the fat formula I gave you in my Atkins Shake review? *) and 220 calories it has a whopping 35 grams of carbohydrates to its 8 grams of protein.

Talk about a sugar high! Talk about giving you instant energy. It will do that, yes, but the crash will be painful!

If you go with a high carbohydrate diet which was popular at one time, fine, but more recently we know that it is white carbohydrates that make us fat (not fat) and we are trying to lower our carb intake and increase our protein intake; this does the opposite.

Back to the sugar issue㐋 grams; the jelly bellies in my cabinet I am trying so hard not to eat have the same amount and 0 fat. Maybe that would be a better snack along with a few vitamins?? I take 13 vitamins a day, so I may as well enjoy the jelly bellies rather than trying to fool myself with this Slim-Fast bar.

(Does anyone know if we are protected against lawsuits?)

Let’s look at the ingredients. It isn’t surprising that the first one is corn syrup (sugar), then sugar, peanut flour, and corn syrup again. Actually out of the first 7 ingredients, 5 of them are sugar. In general when we look at products and if we are concerned with the amount of sugar we want to see it listed at least # 5 or lower.

In summary, if you make Slim-Fast one of your meals, you may very well lose weight given it has 220 calories and most likely one of your meals has more than that. In my opinion, it wasn’t very filling or satisfying as a meal and I was hungry within ½ hour.

Just for your information, the two healthiest foods on this planet are yams and oatmeal- a yam takes 5 minutes to cook in the microwave and tastes good cold. Have the Slim-Fast as a candy bar if you want something sweet. I can’t recommend it, though, as a diet aid or meal replacement bar.

Now, briefly the perfect bar: Pure Protein by WorldWide Sports Nutrition. At $1.99 a bar it is much more money than slimfast but I wouldn’t even put them in the same category in spite of the fact SlimFast’s manurfacturer does!

This bar has 180 calories; 4 grams of fat; 6 grams of carbohydrates and 21 grams of protein! The great news: 1.5grams of sugar. Hardly a candy bar, definitely a protein bar. The one I bought was peanut butter and was very good. It didn’t leave an aftertaste like the Atkins bar and others do. This one I would highly recommend.

Atkins Shake

Other Slim-Fast reviews you might be interested in are:

Ultra Slim Fast Powders
Slim-Fast Meal on The Go Bar
Slim-Fast Breakfast and Lunch Bars
Slim-Fast Shakes
Slim-Fast Juice Based Shake Mix
Slim-Fast Juice Based Shakes

Slim Fast Protein Meal Bars Or Snack Bars

Slim Fast Protein Meal Bars Or Snack Bars

Slim Fast Protein Meal Bars or Snack Bars This listing is for 1 item ...Your choice .. repack to fit mail package..For more Drink Mixs,Coffee,Tea,Capp...

Slim Fast Weight Control 25 Meal Bars Free Expedited Shipping

Slim Fast Weight Control 25 Meal Bars Free Expedited Shipping

Slim Fast 25 Snack Bars (5 Boxes with 5 Bars in each) Brand NEW in original sealed Retail individual packaging Exp date: ALL flavors April 2015 or lat...

3 Cans Slim Fast Diet Weight Loss Protein Shake Mixes Replacement Meal Slimming

3 Cans Slim Fast Diet Weight Loss Protein Shake Mixes Replacement Meal Slimming

3 Cans Slim Fast Diet Weight Loss Protein Shake Mixes Replacement Meal Slimming Control Hunger Packaging may vary!!!Get Into The Mix.Shake up your rou...

Slim-Fast 3-2-1 Cappuccino Delight Shakes, 4pk

Slim-Fast 3-2-1 Cappuccino Delight Shakes, 4pk

Keep hunger under control for up to four hours with the Slim-Fast Cappuccino Shake 4-pack. These Slim-Fast Shakes contain 10 grams of protein and 5 gr...

Pro Bar - Whole Food Meal Bar Original Collection Double Chocolate - 3 oz.

Pro Bar - Whole Food Meal Bar Original Collection Double Chocolate - 3 oz.

Pro Bar Double Chocolate Whole Food Meal Bar - 3 oz. (85g) Pro Bar's Double Chocolate Whole Food Meal Bar is all the chocolate you could want without ...
LuckyVitamin.com

PROBAR Meal Bar

PROBAR Meal Bar

Honored with Health Magazine's ''Best In Food'' award, the delicious PROBAR Meal bars supply all natural food for extra endurance, fast recovery and m...
REI