Slim Fast Optima Powder Shake Mix - all flavors

~~~SLIM FAST OPTIMA POWDER SHAKE MIX~~~LOSE WEIGHT WITH THE YUMMY MILK CHOCOLATE FLAVOR!

Feb 7, 2005 (Updated Sep 11, 2006)

Pros:Great chocolate taste; less sugar(carbs) than previous Ultra shakes.

Cons:Contains aspartame for those with a sensitivity to this artificial sweetener.

The Bottom Line: For an occasional meal replacement, I enjoy this new Slim Fast Optima Powder Shake Mix stirred into skim milk in the Milk Chocolate flavor.

Even though I've purchased other Slim Fast products in the past as occasional snacks and convenient meal replacements, last year during the low carb phase I switched to the Carb Solutions High Protein Shake Mix For Low Carb Diets in the Creamy Vanilla flavor even though it required a blender for thorough mixing and was, at first, an acquired taste. But a few months ago, I saw the advertising for the new Slim Fast Optima line of weight loss products (which also includes ready-to-drink shakes, meal bars, breakfast bars, snack bars, and smoothies) and decided it was time to go back to my old standby once again. At first I bought this Slim Fast Optima Powder Shake Mix in the Chocolate Royale flavor as that was all I could find, but when that can was gone, I got the Milk Chocolate instead and like it much better. Read on to find out more about great tasting meal replacement shake containing a decent 10 grams of protein when mixed with skim milk.

~~~The Shake Mix~~~

Although there are four flavors to choose from (French Vanilla and Strawberry Supreme are the other two), this review about the Slim Fast Optima Powder Shake Mix will focus primarily on the Milk Chocolate flavor. According to product advertising, this is a delicious milk chocolatey shake that's smooth and refreshing. Naturally & artificially flavored. Great taste. 24 vitamins & minerals. 50% of daily calcium. Great value--14 servings. Spoon stirrable. 45% less sugar than our Milk Chocolate Ultra Powder Mix (6 grams verses 13 grams). Containing just 190 calories per serving when mixed with 8 ounces of fat free milk, this meal replacement shake makes a great breakfast for me as I typically tend to not be very hungry in the morning. While many people purchase Slim Fast products like this one primarily for weight loss purposes, I've never been a big fan of the plan per se (you know, a shake for breakfast, another for lunch, and then a sensible dinner). I can easily do one shake a day for breakfast or as a snack, but for lunch and supper I want REAL food! So while they've basically just replaced some of the sugar found in the old shakes with the artificial sweetener aspartame, there's still 30 grams of carbohydrates per serving and 190 calories total when this Slim Fast Optima Powder Shake Mix is mixed as directed. Find out more by copying and pasting the following URL into your computer's web browser:

~~~Packaging, Price, & Availability~~~

Pick up this 12.83 ounce (364 g) round canister of this Slim Fast Optima Powder Shake Mix at your favorite drug, grocery, or discount store or online at places like drugstore.com for around $6.99 each. Since there are 14 servings total, that breaks down to around 50 cents for each shake, not counting the price for the skim milk. In addition to providing carbs for energy, 10 grams of protein, and just 3 grams of fat, there's also plenty of vitamins and minerals found in each scoop. Open by taking off the red plastic lid and removing the foil seal. A scoop comes included for exact measuring. Replace the red lid to keep the powder fresh and use by the expiration date found on the bottom of the can. While the ready-to-drink shakes can also be purchased for those who don't like to bother with the mixing process, they tend to be more expensive and just don't taste as good to me as when I make my own. But at least this Slim Fast Optima Powder Shake Mix is spoon stirrable and doesn't require a blender to completely mix like other powdered drink mixes do.

~~~Product Experience~~~

Using this Slim Fast Optima Powder Shake Mix according to the directions for use is easy: Pour 1 level scoop (inside can) of powder into a large glass. Add 8 fl oz. of very cold Vitamin A&D fortified fat free milk. Sit well and enjoy. If you enjoy a thicker shake, mix milk and 1/2 cup of ice in blender until smooth, then add a level scoop of Slim Fast Optima Shake Mix. Blend for 10 seconds. Once I've added the powder to my milk, all it takes is about 30 seconds of stirring with a spoon and my drink is fully mixed. The creamy Milk Chocolate flavor tastes great and leaves no bitter after taste behind. After drinking one of these shakes for breakfast, I can easily go 2 to 3 hours without getting hungry and needing a snack or some lunch. Many days I'll hit the treadmill for a 3 to 6 mile workout soon after consuming one of these shakes, and I rarely run out of energy or have trouble completing my workout. So even though this Slim Fast Optima Powder Shake Mix is ideally designed to be used as part of their Slim Fast Weight Loss Plan, it can also be purchased for occasional meal replacements for those not necessarily wanting to lose weight but to control daily calories during weight maintenance as well.

~~~Nutrition Information~~~

Serving Size: 1 scoop (1/3 cup) (26 g)
Servings Per Container: 14

Total Carbohydrate..18g
Dietary Fiber.......4g
Protein.............2g

~~~Ingredients~~~

Sugar, Cocoa (Processed with Alkali), High Oleic Sunflower Oil, Gum Arabic, Cellulose Gel, Milk Protein Concentrate, Buttermilk Powder, Soybean Lecithin, Xanthan Gum, Dextrose, Carrageenan, Modified Corn Starch, Salt, Potassium Phosphate, Sodium Phosphate, Acesulfame Potassium (A nonnutritive sweetener), Aspartame, Artifical Flavor, Guar Gum, Corn Starch, Vitamins And Minerals: Calcium Carbonate, Magnesium Oxide, Calcium Phosphate, Sodium Ascorbate, Vitamin E Acetate, Ferric Orthophosphate, Niacinamide, Zinc Oxide, Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Sulfate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamin Monoitrate, Vitamin A Palmitate, Chromium Chloride, Riboflavin, Cooper Gluconate, Folic Acid, Sodium Molybdate, Sodium Selenate, Biotin, Potassium Iodide, Phytonadione (Vitamin K1), Cyanocobalmin (Vitamin B12), Cholecalciferol (Vitamin D3), Sweetened with Nutritive Sweeteners and a Nonnutritive Sweetener.

~~~Overall Recommendation~~~

While there are certainly other shake mixes containing less carbs and more protein out there to choose from to fit each person's individual nutritional needs and preferences, this Slim Fast Optima Powder Shake Mix is easily one of the best tasting I've tried so far. Once I get tired of the Milk Chocolate flavor, I may even branch out and try the French Vanilla as well to add some variety to breakfast time. All it takes is a little extra time to mix this powder with your own skim milk as the taste is definitely worth the effort. For the ready-to-drink shakes always taste like the metal can to me. Bleck! So as long as your body isn't sensitive to the artificial sweetener aspartame (if only they used Splenda I'd give this product 5 stars!), I recommend this Slim Fast Optima Powder Shake Mix as an occasional meal replacement as it sure beats skipping a meal altogether or grabbing junk/fast food along the way. Good luck and stay healthy :-)

***For more information on this Slim Fast Optima Powder Shake Mix as well as many of their other nutritional supplements, check out their website online at:

www.slimfast.com

Slim Fast Foods Company
PO Box 3625
West Palm Beach, FL 33402

1-800-SLIMFAST

The Slim-Fast® Plan

Start losing weight today with the Slim-Fast Plan. Use the Slim-Fast Day as your guide. You can eat six times a day: two Slim-Fast Meals, three snacks, one sensible meal...increase your physical activity, drink plenty of water and lose weight! It's that simple! Then keep it off with one Slim-Fast Meal a day, your sensible eating habits and physical activity. If you start to regain weight go back on the weight loss plan.

____________________________________________________
***Other Slim Fast products that may be of interest:

Slim Fast Chocolate Peanut Low Carb Snack Bar

Slim Fast Chewy Granola Bars

Slim Fast Meal-On-the-Go Bars

Slim Fast Shakes

Ultra Slim Fast Powders

Slim Fast Powders

Slim Fast 3-2-1 Plan (formerly Optima) Chocolate Royale Shake Mix Powder-31.18oz

Slim Fast 3-2-1 Plan (Formerly Optima) Chocolate Royale Shake Mix Powder-31.18Oz with FREE SHIPPING Product Features · Serving canisters of Slimfast 3...

Three (3) Slim-fast Optima Milk Chocolate Shake Mix 12.83oz Powder Cans

Three (3) Slim-fast Optima Milk Chocolate Shake Mix 12.83oz Powder Cans

Three (3) Slim-Fast Optima Milk Chocolate Shake Mix 12.83oz Powder Cans 3 Cans - 12.83oz each. The New Slim-Fast! Optima Milk Chocolate Shake Mix. Pic...

5 Slim Fast Protein Powder Shake Mix 12.83oz Milk Chocolate 3-2-1 Optima 2015

5 Slim Fast Protein Powder Shake Mix 12.83oz Milk Chocolate 3-2-1 Optima 2015

Description Quick Look: Slim Fast POWDER Shake Mix You Will Receive: 1 can in MILK CHOCOLATE flavor (321 Plan) and 4 cans in Creamy MILK CHOCOLATE fla...

Slim Fast Optima Shake Mix, French Vanilla, 12.83 Oz

Slim Fast Optima Shake Mix, French Vanilla, 12.83 Oz

CHECK OUT OUR EBAY STORE Slim Fast Optima Shake Mix, French Vanilla, 12.83 oz Details Start losing weight today with the Slim-Fast Plan. Use the Slim-...