Slim Fast Shakes

Weight Watchers Users!..Slim Fast are 4 points!

Jan 20, 2002 (Updated Jan 20, 2002)

Pros:Tastes terrific, lots of flavors, satisfies the sweet

Cons:I would never be able to only drink 2 a day and have nothing else.

The Bottom Line: Used as a complete system or incorporated into the Weight Watchers program Slim Fast shakes are a healthy way to curb the sweet cravings!

What is the Slim Fast plan? It is a weight loss program that includes drinking 2 Slim Fast shakes a day and then eating a sensible dinner. Slim Fast also makes several varieties of snack bars and meal replacement bars.

The typical day on the slim fast plan would be the following:

Breakfast: Slim Fast shake or Meal Bar
Snack: Fruit
Lunch: A Slim Fast shake or meal bar
Snack: Snack bar
Dinner: 4-6 oz. lean meat, baked potatoe, veggies and salad.
Snack: Low cal/low fat snack such as air popped popcorn.

The purpose of this review is to discuss the Slim Fast shakes specifically. Here are the following varieties.

Rich Chocolate Royale
French Vanilla
Stawberries n Cream
Creamy Milk Chocolate
Dark Chocolate Fudge *my personal favorite
Cappucino Delight

They also make soy based fruit shakes in the following flavors

Orange Pineapple
Orange Strawberry Banana
Apple Cranberry Raspberry *another favorite in our house

Slim Fast offers their shakes in 2 forms...ready to go (already in a can) and powdered form. I prefer the Slim Fast shakes in a can for several reasons. The main reason is that I do not have to also buy milk to add to the powder. At 4.98 for 10 I feel it is economical to buy the ready to go cans. It is easy and timesaving.

Although many people may choose to just pop open a can and drink it as is you can better utilize the Slim Fast shakes by trying out different recipes or by making "milkshakes" out of them in your blender.

I personally never drink a slim fast out of the can. I always put one in the blender with 10 ice cubes. This makes a huge milkshake the equivalent of 16 oz which is thick and can be eaten with a spoon. It tastes very similar to ice cream and it is extremely tasty and satisfying. I purchase the dark choc. fudge and I find it has really assisted me in getting through those times when I crave something chocolate or especially when I would like ice cream.

Although most people who buy slim fast may be using it as a complete system I incorporate Slim Fast shakes into the Weight Watchers program. Weight Watchers has a system which assigns points to food items. On this system a slim fast shake is only 4 points. This is an excellent choice for a snack. I will often have 2 or 3 of these a day and over the course of a year I have found them to be an excellent way to stick to my program. I am never tempted to buy ice cream anymore. On the point system I would only be allowed 1/2 cup for around 3 points. Using the slim fast shakes in the blender as described above I get the same feeling of eating ice cream but quadruple the amount!

The best way to get the most benefit out of the slim fast shakes is to experiment with different recipes. I will often add a fruit to the shake to give it extra thickness, flavor and to get my fruits in on my food plan. Bananas work very well for this and give it a more creamy texture.

If you do decide to try the Slim Fast system or whether you choose to incorporate it into another weight management system such as weight watchers the following tips will assist you in making a success out of your endeavor.

1.Keep a Food Diary of everything you eat to help identify the foods and the quantities that you are actually consuming, and trouble times throughout the day. ( You will be amazed at how helpful this is. I believe that one size does not fit all when it comes to diets. By keeping a journal you will find when you are most hungry. For me I discovered that I could track exact times of day that I always became tempted to snack. By identifying these patterns specific to myself I could tailor my program to fit my needs)

2.Drink at least 8 glasses (8 ounces each) of water daily to help you process food, stay hydrated, and feel full. ( I recommend purchasing a bottle that carries 32 ounces of water. If you drink 2 of these a day you will be on track. Fill this with water at night and put it in the freezer. When you leave in the morning you will have ice water all day long as it begins to melt. Buy a clear water bottle and then put motivational stickers all over it that say "You can do it!"....anything helps!!)

3.Plan your meals and snacks for the next 3-5 days.

4.Read labels, concentrating on calories, fat content and serving size which can vary widely from brand to brand.

5.Keep fresh fruit and raw vegetables on hand for easy, healthful snacking. Use no fat salad dressings as dips or salsa.

6.Refer to low fat cookbooks for tasty and healthy recipes. Don't be afraid to pick and choose the best of each popular program out there. You don't have to commit 100 percent to one program in particular. For example I use Weight Watchers but still use shakes in my diet. Suzanne Somers has great ideas in her cookbooks and I don't mind picking and choosing what I like from her program!

7.Dish out meals onto plates away from the table, so you'll be aware of reaching for second helpings. Better yet automatically divide the entree into serving sizes. If you are cooking a lasagna recipe (and Weight Watchers has an excellent one ) and the recipe says it serves 6 then divide it into 6 servings and put the remaing servings into ziplock trays and freeze them before you even sit down at the table.

8.Eat slowly, it takes about 20 minutes for your stomach to signal your brain that you are full. Also try to eat your meals at the table. Eating in front of the tv causes you to unconsciously put more food in your mouth than you ordinarily would!

9.Beware of the appropriate portion sizes. Just cut into serving sizes according to the recipes and this is no problem.

10.Freeze leftovers immediately to avoid "refrigerator raids" later.

11.Strictly limit alcoholic beverages, which are high in calories and low in nutrition.

12. Walk or be active daily. (Check out my Leslie Sansone walking tapes review to see why I prefer this method of exercise)

13. Be creative with your slim fast shakes! If you need a jumpstart on how to do this then here are a few recipe ideas!

**************************************************
ORANGE CREAM SHAKE
Orange Cream Shake

1 French Vanilla shake
6 oz diet orange soda
2 ice cubes

Blend all ingredients except the orange soda. Pour in tall glass, then stir in soda and serve.

******************************************************

Sunrise Shake

1 can Ultra SlimFast French Vanilla Ready-to-Drink Shake, chilled
1/4 cup fresh or frozen peaches, cut into chunks
1/4 cup fresh or frozen strawberries
6 ice cubes

Blend all ingredients together in a blender for 40 seconds. Pour into a tall glass and enjoy.

*******************************************************

1 Chocolate Royale Ultra SlimFast shake
1 teaspoon cocoa powder
1 packet sugar substitute
4 ice cubes

Blend all ingredients together in a blender for 40 seconds. Pour into three 4-ounce paper cups or plastic ice-pop molds. Place in freezer.
When pops are half-frozen (about 15 minutes) insert wooden sticks. Let freeze completely.
To unfreeze, peel away the paper cup or run warm water on the outside of the ice-pop mold. Enjoy!

If you are serious about losing weight on the Slim Fast plan you should visit their website at

www.slimfast.com

They have a variety of tools to assist you. You can track your weight loss online with a graph that is easy to use. They have an online journal, message boards, buddy lists for support, meal plans and a weekly newsletter with advice and tips.

Good luck!

Slim-Fast 3-2-1 Strawberries N' Cream Shakes, 4pk

Slim-Fast 3-2-1 Strawberries N' Cream Shakes, 4pk

Slim-Fast 3-2-1 Strawberries N' Cream Shakes have 180 calories per bottle. With up to four hours of hunger control, this strawberry shake, 4 pk, offer...

Slim Fast 3 2 1 Shake Mix, Strawberry - 12.83 Oz

Slim Fast 3 2 1 Shake Mix, Strawberry - 12.83 Oz

CHECK OUT OUR EBAY STORE Slim Fast 3 2 1 Shake Mix, Strawberry - 12.83 oz Details Slim Fast 3 2 1 Shake Mix, Strawberry Start losing weight today with...

Slim Fast Shakes Milk Chocolate 10 Fl Oz 20 Ct - Brand Item

Slim Fast Shakes Milk Chocolate 10 Fl Oz 20 Ct - Brand Item

Swingline Shredder Oil (16 oz. Bottle) Features: · GLOBAL PRODUCT TYPE: Shredder Lubricants · CAPACITY (VOLUME): 16 oz. · PACKAGING: Bottle Product De...

Slim-Fast 3-2-1 Rich Chocolate Royale Shakes, 8pk

Slim-Fast 3-2-1 Rich Chocolate Royale Shakes, 8pk

Get a slim and fit body easily with Slim-Fast 3-2-1 Rich Chocolate Royale Shakes. Each one of these kosher protein shakes helps in controlling hunger ...

Slim-fast 3 2 1 Plan Shake Mix, Milk Chocolate - 12.83 Oz

Slim-fast 3 2 1 Plan Shake Mix, Milk Chocolate - 12.83 Oz

CHECK OUT OUR EBAY STORE Slim-Fast 3 2 1 Plan Shake Mix, Milk Chocolate - 12.83 oz Details Slim-Fast 3 2 1 Shake Mix Milk Chocolate flavor Research ha...

Slim Fast Rich Chocolate Royale Shake Mix Powder 31.18 Oz

Slim Fast Rich Chocolate Royale Shake Mix Powder 31.18 Oz

NEW Slim Fast Rich Chocolate Royale Shake Mix Powder 31.18 oz Slim Fast Rich Chocolate Royale Shake Mix Powder Good source of protein and fiber to kee...

Slim-Fast Optima French Vanilla Shake Mix 12.83 oz

Slim-Fast Optima French Vanilla Shake Mix 12.83 oz

This tasty Slim Fast Shake Mix has 24 vitamins and minerals and includes 50 percent of your daily calcium requirement. It comes in vanilla and dissolv...