Sonicare E Series 2 Replacement Brush Heads, Standard Reviews

Sonicare E Series 2 Replacement Brush Heads, Standard

Standard or Compact Toothbrush Head (which is best) -- for the Sonicare Elite Series

Aug 4, 2009

Pros:soft bristles, easy to install in electric toothbrush, simple to remove and clean

Cons:brush might be large for small mouths, expensive compared to a regular toothbrush

The Bottom Line: I love my Sonicare Elite Toothbrush, and even though these Standard heads have a few quirks ... they work well.

I very much like using the Sonicare Elite Toothbrush. It has done a great job at keeping my teeth clean and bright.  However, it does require replacement brush heads. There are two types of toothbrush heads: standard and compact.  I wrestled with which one I liked best and what to buy.  This review is about the Sonicare Standard Replacement Brush Head.

Description

Two Standard size brush heads come in a package.  They closely resemble a regular toothbrush, except they don't have a handle since they screw onto the Sonicare Elite Toothbrush.

The brush head is mounted on a slim neck, and the neck base is a hard plastic collar. The collar screws onto the electric toothbrush. Even though the two Standard brush heads are the same, there is one small difference ... each brush head has a different narrow color band. This color identification comes in handy if two different people are using the electric toothbrush.

These brush heads come packaged in a clear plastic blistercard.  I found it easiest to take a pair of scissors and snip off one long side of the packaging in order to remove the brush heads.  A cardboard piece holds the brush heads in place so they don't fall out of the package as it is being opened.

Note: These brush heads are only compatible with the Elite and Essence series of Sonicare toothbrushes. The package even says they are for "E Series" Sonicare toothbrushes. They will not fit Sonicare's Advance line (sometimes known as the "A Series").

My Experiences

The brush heads come with two parts: the brush head on its stem, and the plastic collar that fits onto the brush head.  These two pieces are assembled so that the brush head is ready to screw onto the electric toothbrush.  It's great, though, that the collar can be removed when the brush needs to be cleaned.  More about that later.

It is easy to screw the brush head onto the toothbrush.  I always rinse off the new brush head before applying toothpaste to it and using it.  Overall, I prefer using the Compact head to this Standard size head, but they both work well and serve different purposes.  That is why I decided to use one style of brush head one week, and the alternate with the other style the next week.

The Standard size brush head is larger than the compact head.  It more closely resembles a traditional toothbrush head in size and shape.  What I like about the Standard size is that it covers a lot of tooth area and also cleans the gums as the brush is moved around the mouth.  What I don't like is that the brush is larger, and I notice that toothpaste is more likely to splatter outside the mouth when it is being used.  I wear glasses, and every time I use this toothbrush head, I find a few toothpaste spots on the lenses.

In comparison, the Compact brush head fits my mouth better. Since the surface area of the Compact head is smaller, it is easier to brush my teeth.  I can feel the Compact brush head scrubbing each tooth, too.

Both brush heads clean my teeth in a different fashion.  That is why I decided to alternate weeks, using one style one week, and then the other style the following week.  My teeth feel cleaner when I alternate the brush heads.

The Sonicare Elite Toothbrush is easy to use. A great feature is that I don't need to apply pressure to the brush head while brushing my teeth. Lightly holding the toothbrush handle, the electric toothbrush does all the work. All I have to do is hold it with a light hand and guide it over my teeth and gums.

The manufacturer recommends changing the brush head every three months (once upon a time, the packaging used to say six months). Every Sunday I unscrew the brush head, remove the collar and using a manual toothbrush, I clean inside the collar, around the base of the brush stem, and inside the area of the Elite toothbrush where the base of the brush head sits.  If regular cleaning is not performed, a build-up of disgusting residue collects and can eventually mold/mildew.  Routine maintenance is important.

My one complaint about these replacement brush heads is the cost. Averaging out cost based on their regular retail value, each head costs about $15.00.  Look for coupons and sales!  However, I am extraordinarily pleased with the Sonicare Elite toothbrush, and my dentist is pleased during my dental check-ups ... so I know it's working.

Purchasing

My local pharmacy sells a 2-pack of these brush heads at their retail value of $29.99.  On sale, they sell for about $25.99.  Amazon.com sells a 2-pack for $25.47.

A helpful tip ... Register your Sonicare toothbrush. Sonicare will then email coupons and rebates to you.

Summary

These Sonicare Standard Replacement Brush Heads work well for me.  I find it best to alternate between using the Standard and Compact sizes since they clean the teeth in different ways. My teeth are happy!

I hope you found this review useful.

Enjoy the day,
Dawn

Please read my other reviews:

Sonicare Toothbrush - Model e9500