Sony RDR-VX555 DVD Recorder

Freezes/hangs on playback

Feb 25, 2008 (Updated Feb 25, 2008)
  • User Rating: Disappointing

• Sound:
  • Picture Quality:

Pros:Not too hard for a geek to operate

Cons:Freezes or hangs during playback of about 10% of commercial DVDs I've tried

The Bottom Line: There are probably better DVD/VHS Recorder combos. I would not recommend buying this one.

I purchased the RDR-VX555 to replace my years old Sony VCR and planned to primarily copy some VHS to DVD as well as record programs from my DVR. It does these functions OK. However, I expected that this would also replace my older DVD Player (DVP NS50P) and provide better viewing with the HDMI connection capability. Well, almost. On the large percentage of commercial DVDs that play properly, I can't complain. What I do complain about is that about 5-10% of DVDs that I have tried in it will freeze/hang or have jerky playback. Often it gets to the point of frustration where I give up on the HDMI upshift and play the DVD in my old player. Better an image that plays consistently than one that frustrates the heck out of me.

So I returned the unit to Sony for repair. They returned the unit with no note, but I had previously talked to the tech and he had not found any problem at that point. It still froze/hung on playback. So I selected a couple of DVDs that exhibited the problem and returned it again for repair. This time Sony called and said that since it would take a long time to find the problem, they would send me a new unit. Cool.

When I received it, I immediately tested the same DVDs and it did not show the problem again. However, over the course of a couple of months, I still run across DVDs that won't play properly on the NEW VX555.

This must be a design flaw, since I have seen several postings on the web that others are experiencing the same problem. So if I return it again for repair to Sony, I will either get a new box or they will try again to see the problem. Either way, the problem won’t likely be resolved finally. It has been about 5 months since I first purchased the box and will likely run into resistance at the retailer when I try to return it for credit or refund.

Stay away if you want to watch commercial DVDs without getting frustrated.

Sony Rdr-vx535 Dvd Recorder Vhs Combo Player Hi-fi,1080p Hdmi -

Sony Rdr-vx535 Dvd Recorder Vhs Combo Player Hi-fi,1080p Hdmi -

Make crystal-clear copies of your favorite music and movies with the Sony RDR-VX535 DVD recorder. The two-way, one-touch dubbing feature of this Sony ...