-30%
Sony SS-B1000 Bookshelf Speakers Reviews

Sony SS-B1000 Bookshelf Speakers

Free Shipping eBay Deals

Good Value Small Speakers

Dec 19, 2008 (Updated Dec 22, 2008)

• Flatness:
  • Imaging:
  • Overall Sound:

Pros:$50/pair, decent sound quality, excellent presence
Nice highs and mid-range

Cons:missing low-end bass
included speaker wire is thin, cheap, and short

The Bottom Line: For the money, and for my designated purpose as rear surround speakers, the Sony SSB-1000's offer good quality and value.

My review of a pair of Sony SSB-1000 bookshelf speakers:
These "little speakers that could" - really can!

I was searching for an inexpensive pair of speakers to deploy as my rear surround speakers in my 7.1 setup. I went to the local Best Buy to pick up a Sony W2500 10" subwoofer ($99), review:

and while I was there, i came across these little babies - a pair of Sony SSB-1000 bookshelf speakers on display. I waited around for nearly 45 minutes before an associate was able to connect the speakers and sub to demo for me.

Let me state here and now - it was worth the wait. I wanted to purchase them on the spot, but none were in stock! I picked up the sub woofer, and went across the street to Circuit City. Yes, I took advantage of Circuit City's price match guarantee, since the speakers were out of stock and on back order at Best Buy.

Out of the box: These speakers came wrapped in protective plastic paper-wrap, were set in formed styrofoam, and securely boxed. They were in perfect shape, and easy to remove from the packaging with no mess and no fuss.

These 2-way speakers sport a 1" tweeter and a 5.25" woofer. Driven by my Pioneer VSX-1015TX, these little babies can sing, and offer impressive sound presence and clarity that defies their low shelf price ($49.99 at best Buy, $59.99 at Ciruit City).

Installation was simple: unbox, connect, and listen.

These speakers produce loud and clear highs, and decent mid-range too. Of course, bass is lacking, due to their small size and designated purpose. Audio reproduction from these two small speakers is incredibly surprisingly accurate and lifelike, clear and clean, and can fill a small room with good quality sound.

Finished in fake black woodgrain, with removable black front grills, these speakers look right at home in my living room. Fit and finish is very good, and is a testament to Sony's attention to detail and quality control.

The cable connections are the simple "press the tab, push in the twisted bare wire end, release the tab to lock in place" type. I did not even unwind the supplied el-cheapo thin short speaker wires; instead I used some quality 14-gauge speaker cable. And yes, it did require a little effort and some tight twisting of the wire ends to convince them to enter the little speaker wire connection holes on the back of the speakers. The tabbed connections hold tight, and I can literally pick up the speakers by the wires with no concern for slippage.

These speakers do not offer any mounting accessories or options, and are not magnetically shielded.

Info from Epinions:
These speakers are rated to handle a peak power of 120 Watts, and claim frequency response of 80 Hz - 50 kHz at 8 ohm.
Measurements (inches): w: 15.7 x d: 6.7 x h: 8.5
Weight: 6 lb.

SUMMARY:

The Sony SS-B1000 may fall in the category of bookshelf speakers, but is more than capable of accommodating any room in the house. Equipped with an ad...

eBay Deals
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Enjoy your favorite music in any room of the house with quality sound from the SS-B1000 performance bookshelf speakers. With 120 watts of power and an...