Spectracide Pruning Seal

If you prune it, it will seal!!

Oct 13, 2002

Pros:It's an easy to use aerosol spray.

Cons:None so far.

The Bottom Line: It will seal a pruned tree branch or any other cracks or crevices around the outside of your home.

As the Autumn chill has settled in our area, many people here are getting ready to batten down the hatches in preparation for Winter's arrival. However last week while my husband was racking up leaves in our backyard, he noticed 3 squirrels on top of our roof. At first he couldn't understand how they were getting up there, until he noticed one branch from our Elm tree was just close enough to the corner of our house, and they were able to jump from the branch to the roof.

This was a little disturbing, because last year one of our neighbors had squirrels that had set up residence in the attic in their home, by chewing their way into the corner of the eaves. They finally had to call someone to come out and trap the squirrels and remove them. This is the time of the year that squirrels are getting their nests ready for winter and are looking for refuge in hidden recesses in your home.

So now this meant that we were going to have to remove that branch from our Elm tree or we might have the same problem with the squirrels that our neighbor did.

My husband decided that if the branch had to be cut out, we had to get some kind of pruning seal. So off to the store I went. After checking a few stores I finally found a can of Spectracide Pruning Seal In Walmart for $4.79. It comes in a 13 ounce aerosol spray can that can be easily applied.

What are the benefits of using Spectracide Pruning Seal?

1)---By using the Spectracide Pruning Seal it will form a barrier that prevents disease and insects that can enter through pruned areas.

2)---It forms a barrier so trees can heal safely.

3)---It's durable and will create a strong, but flexible seal that won't crack.

4)---Because it's an aerosol spray, it's convenient to use and lets you direct the seal to just the right area that has been pruned.

Other uses for Spectracide Pruning Seal:

It not only protects pruned areas of trees, but it can be used for the following also.

1)---It can be used to seal and waterproof clay containers.

2)---Seals wooden planters.

3)---Any small cracks in asphalt driveways.

4)---Rain gutters.

5)---Roof flashings.

We have a wooden planter that my husband made years ago. He attached it to our shed in our back yard, and we put geraniums and hanging vines in it every year. It's been there for 6 years now, but it's finally showing a few cracks in it now. My husband was going to build a new one, but decided to use the Spectracide Pruning Seal on it instead.

Weve had a few nights of frost already and the frost did hit the Geraniums. So my husband emptied the planter and cleaned it out good. He then sprayed the cracks on the inside and the outside of the planter with the Spectracide Pruning Seal . He gave it a second application also. We plan on using the planter for one more year and then he's going to build a new one.

A few tips on how to use the Spectracide Pruning Seal.

1)---Give the aerosol can several shakes and shake really well.

2)---Hole the spray can upright 6 inches to 9 inches from the area that's being sprayed.

3)---Apply by spraying in short bursts, this will prevent dripping and runoff.

4)---If sealing small cracks, like the one we had in our planter, it may be best to apply 2 applications. Apply the second coat after the first coat has completely dried.

5)---Always spray lightly to get the best results.

6)---If a branch from a tree has been pruned, then apply the Spectracide Pruning Seal immediately after the branch has been cut.

A few cautions:

1)---Avoid breathing the vapors or the vapor mists. It's best to always wear a face mask while applying the Pruning Seal.

2)---The Spectracide Pruning Seal does state that it contains petroleum distillates.

3)---As with any aerosol sprays it always best to keep the Spectracide Pruning Seal up and away from children. If swallowed do not induce vomiting, and consult your physician immediately or poison control center.

4)---Wash your hands thoroughly after applying the Spectracide Pruning Seal.

5)---Do not store the can above 120 degrees. If exposed to high temperatures the high heat could cause bursting.

6)---Do not puncture or incinerate.

Well the branch from our Elm Tree was finally cut off. After the branch was removed my husband immediately sprayed the Spectracide Pruning seal to the cut end.

Any wounds in an Elm Tree that aren't treated with a Pruning Seal are known to attract bark beetles that will harbor the spores of the Dutch Elm Disease.

It's best to prune these trees during the correct time of the year to prevent spread of fatal diseases. We found out that the best time for pruning in our area is during the late fall and winter. But it's always best to contact a tree specialist to find out when to prune tree species in your area.

In our area my husband has always consulted with the Cornell Cooperative Extension service many times for gardening answers that we need. When my husband told them how he had to prune our Elm Tree and than applied Spectracide Pruning Seal, they said it was good thing to do. They also said that in some instances wound dressings are unnecessary and may even be detrimental.

But anyway weve had our Elm Tree for many years now, and we want to have it around for many more years to come. Were really lucky to still have this Elm Tree, as many Elm Trees usually end up dying from Dutch Elm Disease.

I recommend the Spectracide Pruning Seal. It's an all around pruning seal to safely seal any pruning of trees, or other cracks and crevices around your house.

If you have any questions you can call Spectracide at 800-332-5553.

Thanks for reading!!

Naomi

************************************************************
PAYOFF WRITE_OFF

So, benevolent folks that we are, H&G/PETS instead offers the safe return of the EPS Kids, but you have to buy them out of indentured servitude by accepting our PAYOFF Challenge Starting Friday, October 11 through Monday, October 14.

************************************************************

Spectracide Bug And Weed Killer For Lawns Concentrate 32-ounce

Spectracide Bug And Weed Killer For Lawns Concentrate 32-ounce

NEW Spectracide Bug and Weed Killer for Lawns Concentrate 32-Ounce $22.10 $29.95 Spectracide bug and weed killer has a unique formula allowing to to p...

Spectracide Bug And Weed Killer For Lawns Ready To Spray 32-ounce

Spectracide Bug And Weed Killer For Lawns Ready To Spray 32-ounce

- Brand NEW items - FREE standard shipping - Easy returns NEW Spectracide Bug and Weed Killer for Lawns Ready to Spray 32-Ounce Our price $23.39 $31.9...

Spectracide Wasp And Hornet Spray By United Industries Corp

Spectracide Wasp And Hornet Spray By United Industries Corp

WASP & HORNET SPRAY: hornet & wasp spray spectracide
Spectracide 32 fl. oz. Ready-to-Spray Concentrate Bug and Weed Killer for Lawns

Spectracide 32 fl. oz. Ready-to-Spray Concentrate Bug and Weed Killer for Lawns

Shop for Garden Center at The Home Depot. Use the Spectracide 32 oz. Concentrate Bug and Weed Killer for an effective 2-in-1 pest and weed killer. Rai...
Home Depot

SpectracideŽ Wasp & Hornet Killer 20oz. Rtu W/27' Spray Reach / Kills On Contact

Spectracide Wasp & Hornet Killer Spectracide Wasp & Hornet Killer is an aerosol insecticide formulated for fast, safe outdoor control of dangerous sti...

Spectracide 1 gal. Ready-to-Use Weed Stop for Lawns Plus Crabgrass Killer HG-10561-4

Shop for Garden Center at The Home Depot. Use the Spectracide 1 gal. Ready-to-Use Weed Stop for Lawns Plus Crabgrass Killer to put an end to weeds in ...
Home Depot

SPECTRACIDE WEED STOP FOR LAWNS PLUS CRABGRASS KILLER -Mfg# HG-10561 - Sold As 2 Units

1 gallon. Kills over 250 weed types including crabgrass. Kills the root. Won't harm lawns. Visible results in 8 hours. .253% 24D dimethylamine salt .1...
Spectracide Mosquito Stop Concentrate 32 Ounces

Spectracide Mosquito Stop Concentrate 32 Ounces

NEW SPECTRACIDE Mosquito Stop Concentrate 32 Ounces NO SALES TAX JUST IN TIME FOR HOLIDAY SHOPPING Enojy free standard shipping with no minimum purcha...

United Industries Corp Spectracide Wasp and Hornet Killer Spray Bug Spray Aerosols

Spectracide Wasp and Hornet Killer will eliminate hornet, wasp, and yellow jacket nests by killing these dangerous stinging pests on contact. It will ...
Do My Own Pest Control