Spiderflex Cycling Saddle Reviews

Spiderflex Cycling Saddle

ratings (1 Epinions review)

Looks Odd but Cradles My Tush

Jul 14, 2010 (Updated Aug 1, 2010)

Pros:Provides more comfort than traditional saddles, lightweight, shock absorber, mounts easily, unisex

Cons:none really other than it's pricey

The Bottom Line: Anyone who likes to road or mountain bike, but experiences soreness, should really give this saddle a try.

And, really, isn't everyone looking for a little tush cradling?

Many male cyclists experience "saddle soreness" at some point or another - especially as we age or get heavier.  Some women complain of the issue as well, but I don't believe it's as paramount as it is with men because of the "external parts" and certain blood supply being cut off.

I had purchased a perfectly good Gary Fisher mountain bike but it hung in my garage for years.  I used to love biking - street or trails.  Because I got sore or numb in that "special place" very soon into any ride, I really needed to find a solution so I could enjoy riding again.  I did some internet digging and came up with three options: the Spongy Wonder saddle, the Moon Saddle and the Spiderflex saddle.

The Spongy Wonder ($72.52 - $120.81) is made in Canada, looks comfy but was eliminated from my options because the weight limit is 225 pounds one one of their saddles and 180 pounds on the other three.  I tip the scales at over their 225 limit.  The SWs, however, come with a spare set of pads and they offer optional seat covers.

Next up was the Moon Saddle.  I read all of their customer reviews and decided to buy.  I sent them my $69 (now $85) plus shipping and I was quite pleased with it.  Back when I purchased the Moon Saddle, there were no returns unless there was a defect.  Now, they offer a 60-day money-back policy.  I kept mine because I was going to give one of the seats (the Spiderflex or the Moon Saddle) to my brother.

The Spiderflex saddle:
Similar to the Spongy Wonder, the Spiderflex incorporates a tough all-weather polyurethane dual seat pad design.  But unlike the Spongy Wonder, it has small openings in each pad that seems to cradle my "sit bones" and since there's nothing that comes in contact with my "special bits", there's absolutely no pressure or discomfort. And unlike the Spongy Wonder, the Spiderflex incorporates a small shock absorber (that travels 5/8" or 16mm) at the rear of the saddle. It's really lightweight (680 grams /24 ounces) so most road bikers won't be put out.

Truth be told, I was a little leery of the two metal rails in close proximity to my "entertainment center."  I mean, what if I slid off the pads?  The fine folks at Spiderflex assured me that my "nuggets" (my word not theirs) wouldn't come into contact with the rails.  Well, in almost two years using the hornless saddle, my "twig n' berries" have not come in contact with the rails.  That's not saying that it'll never happen, but I would think my tailbone might be the issue, not my "junk."  Anyway, I'm good thus far and enough groin euphemisms for one paragraph.

Mounting the Spiderflex saddle was simple enough, but at first I experienced a bit of annoyance on the back of my upper thighs.  I adjusted the angle a bit downward and the problem was solved.  Once I found the best angle for my body and riding style, the seat is golden.  It may take a bit of getting used to because of the missing horn.  Of course, road bikes and mountain bikes require different angles, so if you happen to ride both types of bikes, you may need to play with angles a bit more often.  Although the Spiderflex website mentions that 90% of their saddles are sold to mountain bikers, road bikers with prior groin injuries purchase this type of saddle. The Spiderflex saddle attaches either to your existing seat post clamp, the newer style "micro-adjustable" post clamp or the older style "U" clamp.

When switching to a hornless type of saddle on a road bike, the higher you can get the handlebar height - the better. The higher handlebar height transfers your upper body weight to the saddle and off the handlebars. Now that your weight is transferred more to the saddle, the Spiderflex displaces body weight evenly while taking the pressure off your groin area.

The Spiderflex comes with a one-year warranty and a 30-day money-back guarantee.  It's a bit costly at $109.99, but well worth it.

Final Words:
This unique saddle design will eliminate the damaging effects and irritating pressure to the prostate, perineum, tailbone and genitals.  I would highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys riding a bike without the pain and discomfort some saddles can create. I would imagine that this saddle would also be great for stationary bikes.  In fact, this Spiderflex seat has facilitated my renewed enjoyment of mountain biking.

Happy cycling and wear a helmet!

Cycling Sports Bicycle Comfort Pad Cushion Comfortable Cover For Saddle Seat

Cycling Sports Bicycle Comfort Pad Cushion Comfortable Cover For Saddle Seat

Comfort Cycling Bike Bicycle 3D Pad Seat Saddle Cover Soft Cushion Comfort Cycling Bike Bicycle 3D Pad Seat Saddle Cover Soft Cushion Description Comf...

Cycling Bike Bicycle Silicone Gel Soft Seat Saddle Cushion Cover Black

Cycling Bike Bicycle Silicone Gel Soft Seat Saddle Cushion Cover Black

Cycling Bike Bicycle Silicone Gel Soft Seat Saddle Cushion Cover Black Description Description: 1. Comfortable, durable, ideal for long rides! 2. With...

Cobb Cycling Plus Saddle - White

Cobb Cycling Plus Saddle - White

No description, please visit our website for details
SwimOutlet.com

Cycling Bike Waterproof Saddle Seat Bag Outdoor Sport Universal Tail Pouch

Cycling Bike Waterproof Saddle Seat Bag Outdoor Sport Universal Tail Pouch

High Quality Outdoor Cycling Bicycle Bike Quakeproof Saddle Pouch Seat Bag Tail Bag High Quality Outdoor Cycling Bicycle Bike Quakeproof Saddle Pouch ...

New Fashion Outdoor Cycling Bicycle Hollow Out Seat Saddle

New Fashion Outdoor Cycling Bicycle Hollow Out Seat Saddle

Rail Material:Stainless Steel; Cover Material:Microtex Synthetic Leather; Length(mm):270; Saddle Width(mm):150; Type:MTB; Color:White; Net Weight(kg):...
LightInTheBox

Cycling Waterproof Outdoor Cycling Saddle Bag Pouch Seat Sell Well

Cycling Waterproof Outdoor Cycling Saddle Bag Pouch Seat Sell Well

eBay Store Categories Best eBaystore Cycling Bicycle Waterproof Outdoor Cycling Saddle Bag Pouch Seat Black Features: 100% Brand new and high quality....