Spri FitAbs Plus

1 consumer review

Are Fit Abs a Plus?

Jan 30, 2005

Pros:Durable, comfortable to lie on.

Cons:Not effective; deflates.

The Bottom Line: I can't recommend FitAbs Plus though I do like most Spri products. This just doesn't do anything for me.

Powerhouse Gym has several FitAbs Plus supports. It was only about a month or so ago that I decided to give it a try. I have tried it and tried it because I was wavering on my rating.

What is the FitAbs Plus:

The Fit Abs Plus made by Spri is a blue support measuring approximately 20 inches in length by 13 inches in width. It is designed to conform to your back giving me support. This support translates into doing abdominal and low back exercises most effectively so the claim goes.

It deflates and inflates. There is a plastic unit on the back that allows air to be blown into it. This only takes a few seconds. I have seen them being inflated at the gym.

It is made of a very heavy nylon material. I do not see FitAbs Plus used frequently. I am not sure if it is because people do not know what to do with them or they do not like them. The fact that the few in the gym are in perfect condition could reflect the quality or the lack of use. I like Spri products. I find them very well made in general. Feeling that way I will go out on a limb and say that even if the Fit Abs Plus supports were used heavily they will withstand that use.

How the Fit Abs Plus is used:

If you have ever been to a class or perhaps just from watching fitness videos you will know that it is important to protect your back when doing abdominal work. Exercises like leg raises which are done by lying down lifting your legs to the ceiling and slowly lowering them down can be particularly hard on the back.

You may have been told to make a fist and put your hands under your buttocks to protect your back. You may have been told to do a pelvic tilt to protect your back. In addition if you take Pilates you know that you must maintain a neutral spine when doing abdominal exercises to get the most out of the work you are doing and to protect your back. If you lift your pelvis to 12 on a clock you are not in neutral spine. If you lower it into the floor at 6:00 you are not in neutral spine. Move your pelvis into the middle and you are in neutral spine. You should have a small space between your back and the floor.

This is where Fit Abs Plus comes in. You put it under your back essentially creating a neutral spine. It replaces your fists and feels very comfortable to lie on.

Does that mean I like it? Not really. I have done ab work with and without it during the same session testing out this piece. I have experimented with putting it a bit lower so that it is under my buttocks more than it is under my back. Although it is comfortable to lie on if you want to take a nap I have found no advantage to using it. In fact there have been times when I have been using it when I have wanted to put my fists under me!

This could be because Fit Abs Plus deflates a bit when I lie on it. It does not seem to hold its air well. When I move it from under me it is flatter than it was when I was lying on it. However I can hear and see it come back to shape when I take it away. So the air is not necessarily escaping it just is not firm enough to not collapse under my weight and I am not heavy.

I am not recommending Fit Abs Plus. For $25.00 I will use my fists, a towel or look for other similar products that I like better. If you do buy it you will get an instruction sheet.

Please feel free to leave me a question or comment. You may e-mail me privately as well if you have other questions about weight training.

Other reviews in which you may be interested:

What you should know about the Bowflex BrandBowflex Xtreme XTLUBowflex UltimateCrossbowWeider CrossBar

How to Choose a Health ClubWorld GymCurves for WomenPowerHouse Gym

Precise Ab Trainer Club ProStamina AB Hyper Extension BenchThane AB-DOer ProAb LoungerYukon Ab Crunch Machine

Yukon Competitor
Fitness Quest Air RowerProForm TreadmillStairMaster 4600PT StepperCybex Pro TeadmillCybex 900T treadmillCybex Arc TrainerPrecor EFX546 Elliptical TrainerConcept II rowerPrecor C846 RecumbentNordicTrack Classic Pro skierLifeFitness LifeCycle"Yukon Seated Calf Machine

Cap Olympic WeightsCap Double D HandleCap Barbell Chromed Hollow 48-Inch Lat Pull Machine BarCap Barbell Chromed Hollow 18-Inch Low Row T BarCap Barbell Pull Down Rope

Reebok Resistance TubesSpri XerdiscSpri Very Light TubesSpri Light TubesSpri Foam RollersSpri Medium TubesSpri Body Bar

Ab RevolutionizerStamina AB Hyper Extension BenchThane AB-DOer ProAb LoungerYukon Ab Crunch Machine

Phoenix BenchWAI Yoga Ball Kit 151Precor StretchTrainer

Butt BlasterPilates Magic CircleYoga & Pilates Circle

SPRI - Xercise Ball Professional Plus - 65cm Ball with Pump - 1 Ball(s)

SPRI - Xercise Ball Professional Plus - 65cm Ball with Pump - 1 Ball(s)

SPRI - Xercise Ball Professional Plus Red- 65cm Ball w/ Pump - 1 Ball(s) SPRI Xercise Ball Professional Plus 65 centi-meters (cm) Stabilility Ball wit...
LuckyVitamin.com

Spri Sponge Ball

Spri Sponge Ball

NEW SPRI Sponge Ball $18.97 $25.95 SPRI Spongeball The SPRI Spongeball is a soft, light inflatable 8 ball that adds energy, excitement, variation and ...

SPRI 65cm Professional Plus Xercise Ball, Pump and Chart

SPRI 65cm Professional Plus Xercise Ball, Pump and Chart

SPRI 65cm Professional Plus Xercise Ball This heavy-duty ball features tough, dura-wall construction and offers true slow deflate up to 350 lbs, makin...
HSN

SPRI SPRI Weighted Bar BB

SPRI SPRI Weighted Bar BB

SPRI BB Weighted Bars build lean body mass and define muscles by providing even weight distribution for stability during exercises. Perfect for Streng...
Wayfair

Spri Door Attachment

Spri Door Attachment

NEW SPRI Door Attachment $16.02 $21.95 Turn your door into a home gym! This versatile attachment increases your exercise options with the Xertube. Exc...

SPRI Braided Xertube PLUS Tubing (resistance-Level One Very Light/Yellow/Black)

SPRI Braided Xertube PLUS Tubing (resistance-Level One Very Light/Yellow/Black)

Resistance-Very Light for Beginners/Color-Yellow w/Black/Type-BraidedPart# SCP-1The Braided Xertube takes tubing training to the next level by weaving...
Heart Rate Monitors USA

SPRI Xercise Ball Professional Plus Total Body Training Package - SB75VC-PLUS

SPRI Xercise Ball Professional Plus Total Body Training Package - SB75VC-PLUS

Develop, Strengthen, And Tone Abs, Hips, Legs, Back And Buns With SPRI 's Stability Ball/ Designed To Deliver Long-Lasting, Professional Durability/ E...
Abt Electronics

SPRI Flat Band Yoga Kit

SPRI Flat Band Yoga Kit

Enhance your yoga sessions with the SPRIā„¢ Flat Band Yoga Kit. Includes 2 Flat Bands with different resistance levels. 1 Flat band loop included. ...
SwimOutlet.com

SPRI Active Therapy Sponge Ball

SPRI Active Therapy Sponge Ball

Find gym equipment and accessories at Target.com! Spri active therapy sponge ball

Knob Spri - WP2X27